GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

1st MOD: SRT intake ... my first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-06, 06:37 PM
4GRAINR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kharizma
um... does installin' the ECU require soldering??
Yes! The instructions highly advise against any other method than soldering the wires. The purpose of this is to ensure a direct connection and avoid foreign materials as a conductor or bridge.

You really do want wire on wire action.

With respect to the dyno question, I was planning on doing one within the next couple of weeks. The only problem is that I won't have a before and after to compare it to, just an after.

I'll be more than happy to share the results when I get it done.
Old 01-20-06, 07:22 PM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4GRAINR

I bought the 400. As far as fitment is concerned, I couldn't have asked for a better fit. The SRT uses the holes already drilled so it really is a "OEM" type fit to your engine. Not to mention, it looks pretty bad *** when you open up the hood. I picked up Cliffud, a fellow CL member, last night and he said that car sounded great when I pulled up. He could hear a little something and it definitely lets people know you've arrived, but in a tasteful way.
Got all of the way to Alaska much quicker than I expected!!! Luis of Carson Toyota. We're supposed to get 6-8" of snow tonight so I'll be busy plowing the place out tomorrow. As soon as the weather clears and warms up a bit, it's going on. Gives me time to review the instructions and get everything ready. Looks real straight forward, a farily simple install.
Attached Thumbnails 1st MOD: SRT intake ... my first impressions-srt.jpg  
Old 01-20-06, 07:27 PM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Chpsk8
anyone ever Dyno this cold air intake to see what it does besides making noise? Just curious. Thats a chunk of change, I;d like to see some power in return.
The Swift racing web site has a dyno chart for the various intakes.

http://www.swiftracing.com/engine/ecu.htm
Old 01-20-06, 08:26 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by GWELEX

Wow (extra letters to satisfy 10 character rule).
Old 01-20-06, 08:29 PM
Chpsk8
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GWELEX

Wow, for the 400/430 thats pretty impressive! The 300 isn't that great, but a little bump. For sure you'd feel an improvement on the V8!

Sometimes I just wonder what bolt ons really add. Iv'e seen dyno runs on Hemis that added intake and exhaust and picked up 2-3hp at best... and that cost them $6-800.
I picked up a tuner for my truck and added 18hp and 22ftlb. Not too bad for under $300.
Old 01-20-06, 09:43 PM
jlee804
Rookie

Cool write up 4Grainr! Thanks for sharing the experience. I have been doing alot of research too on 'air intakes'. My only issue with the SRT is I live in Calif. and we have those 'freakin' SMOG laws. Not sure if I want to swap out the ECU every other year. Good Luck your mods.... Fun to read other members experiences.
Old 01-20-06, 10:02 PM
suge66
Pole Position

I noticed on the site it says 300w/HFI system, what system is that? Then i noticed that u dont really start getting a change with the 300 till about the 3500 to 4000 RPM range. Is it really worth it to get this if that's when you feel the diffrence? @ 3000rpm i'm doing about 70-75mph, what do you guys think? anyone of u guys with it on the 300 can give me a little more info? if i had the 400/430, it would b a no brainer to get it. Just my 02.cents
Old 01-22-06, 02:36 AM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

hey 4grainr, is this the only mod you have on your car? or do you have like a TC? VB? exhaust?
Old 01-22-06, 07:30 AM
4GRAINR
Lead Lap

The SRT intake was the very first mod on my car. I am having exhaust put on tomorrow @ TM Enginnering in LA and will post another update with photos and sound clips after that is done.

Oh yeah, and as an FYI ... three or four days later and I'm still LOVING it. I get compliments all the time when I'm driving with people or I roll up. The general remark is ... "WOW! I didn't know a Lexus could sound like that! Holy (insert colorful word here)!!!"
Old 01-22-06, 02:42 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

how many miles you got on your lex 4grainr?
Old 01-22-06, 05:28 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just wait till you put that exhaust on. These are the best mods for the GS, cause it's so choked as stock.
Old 01-23-06, 09:52 AM
4GRAINR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kharizma
how many miles you got on your lex 4grainr?
I bought the car the first part of November last year with 42K miles on it. I am just about to hit 49K here in the next week or two, especially since I just drove it out to LA.

Oh, by the way, for the rest of you wondering about the SRT and whether or not it will improve your gas mileage or hinder it ...

I bought gas in Phoenix before and I left to top her off. I did consistently between 85mph to 95mph on the way over to CA with a couple burst of 110mph - I was playing rally car with a blue Porsche 911 and a black WRX coming down the hill into Indio.

When I filled up in Riverside (it really was an excuse to grab a soda and get out for a bit), I calculated that I was getting 23.4 miles per gallon. I'm no car expert, but at those speeds and the "spirited" driving that I do, I can't complain at all.

What have other SRT owners noticed about their miles per gallon?
Old 01-23-06, 10:08 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, I've been tracking it tightly every fill up. What I've noticed is that over time, mileage has improved, especially cruising mileage, apparently because the car fights itself less. I get about 320-350 miles per tank, and averaging 19 mpg. However, the addition of this thing has unleashed the beast in me and on some tankfuls I have been mashing the gas down after red lights and generally pushing harder on the car (fun!!). The car will drink gas like a thirsty water buffalo in the desert if you do that. This is what will affect your mileage more than anything. I look at it as what I have to pay for entertainment.
Old 01-23-06, 10:22 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

hey engin..i know what you mean ...its like my baby is whispering to me..."psss take off when the light is green..ppsss just go fast..."

Yeah there is a difference especially when it comes to the highway and gas...
Old 01-24-06, 08:34 AM
redbaron
Pole Position

Default Problems with water

I was wondering if this intake will cause the engine to get damaged when you go over a deep puddle by drawing water into the engine?

I live in seattle so water on the roads is definitely a concern.

On my TL, I went with the Comptech Icebox because that one had a design which protected the engine from the intake sucking up water.

b

Quick Reply: 1st MOD: SRT intake ... my first impressions