GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

1st MOD: SRT intake ... my first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-06, 08:38 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

its basically a short ram intake with an air box... unless you drive into a puddle that reaches up to the headlights (as would if it was stock) your okaay...
Old 01-24-06, 10:39 PM
4GRAINR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have to agree with GSoup on this one.

If you get that car deep enough to get the intake soaked, that is going to be the least of your problems!

Being in AZ it's no problem, but I would put some thought into if you lived in an area with large amounts of rain or snow. You might want to contact SRT and get some feedback from them.
Old 01-25-06, 08:24 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you get that car deep enough to get the intake soaked, that is going to be the least of your problems!
yup that would be the least of his problems...LOL [wet carpet/wet seats/flooded trunk/etc...]

well if your really that concerned [which i wouldn't be unless your in like 2 feet of water] look to see if there is a bypass valve for it like the AEM one....
Old 03-06-06, 04:12 PM
4GRAINR
Lead Lap

I, just like this post, am back!

I just wanted to post a follow up a month or so later about the SRT ...

Basically, it still ROCKS and I wouldn't change it back for anything. I love the sound, especially with my exhaust, and I still get compliments on it all the time. If you haven't done this mod and are still thinking about it ... go for it! I don't think you'll be disappointed at all.

And yes, I will post some exhaust clips that I promised like two months ago ... I've been broke and busy so I've stayed away from CL. There are only so many mods a man can do each month!

4GRAINR
Old 03-06-06, 08:21 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

haha welcome back i get compliments on the cycling sound when it idles, which i love too, and the "sucking" sounds it makes just before gear shifts plus my exhaust equals great sounds!! :thumbsup:
Old 03-06-06, 09:58 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's interesting to see the excitement in this mod from the newbies. It truly is still a great mod.

If people want to know about it's true performance as well as some other competitor intakes, Static911 did a full dyno evaluation and report 4 years ago. For those of you who don't know who Static911 is, that's Ethan. CEO of CL.

Do a search for "SRT intake" and enter the user "Static911" and you will find dyno comparisons, reviews on the SRT as well as several other intakes.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 03-06-06 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-06-06, 10:01 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

well give us the short version, the SRT did well or is it all a hoax? lol
Old 03-06-06, 10:05 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by Kharizma
well give us the short version, the SRT did well or is it all a hoax? lol

Well you guys sound very happy by just the sound and the "feel" from your butt-o-meters, why spoil it by reading dyno #s?

J/K
Old 03-06-06, 10:27 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

aWh, now u got me interested i'm gonna try to search for it, expect some PM's from me if i can't find anything :-X haha
Old 03-06-06, 10:36 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

so... Injen is the best (without ECU)
then Weapon-R (without ECU)
then SRT (without ECU)

BUT, since SRT has the ECU, SRT comes out on top, correct? since the dyno was without the ECU?
Old 03-06-06, 10:57 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by Kharizma
so... Injen is the best (without ECU)
then Weapon-R (without ECU)
then SRT (without ECU)

BUT, since SRT has the ECU, SRT comes out on top, correct? since the dyno was without the ECU?

In general, I'd say that's a fair statement. The SRT was really designed for the ECU, so I'd say that's a must have. At the same time, this intake makes it's power on the top end at the sacrifice of some bottom end. Many owners have commented that their cars are actually slower off the line.

I think the key thing to note is the power gain with the SRT (with ECU) in HP and if the amount spent for such a gain is worth it to you. The other intakes make less HP, but they cost far less as well.

As far as sound, well they all have some level of WOW factor. You might actually like the Injen better. I DO. The same goes for exhaust systems, some more WOW than others, but then not everyone wants to hear a loud intake and exhaust. You can only decide what is just right for you, when you hear it for yourself.

If you look at the Header mod, the latest report from Pearlpower, appears to make this mod one of the best bang for buck mods. The other two top mods are the TQ and 3.76 LSD. After that I'd say Intake with Exhaust. Beyond that , FI.

My Local NorCal group has done dyno and track testing on our mods for a few years now. We plan on doing more dyno and track testing before the end of this year or before EOS. The two set ups we will dyno / track evaluate are the header mod and the SRT mod.

Stay Tuned.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 03-06-06 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-06-06, 11:26 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

that is inconclusive. was there ever a second dyno meet done to accurately test the intakes?? I cannot find any more info. I read all of the threads with the keywords that romini specified and I only came up with the fact that the tests were flawed and were supposed to be done again.
Old 03-06-06, 11:57 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by Spyder78
that is inconclusive. was there ever a second dyno meet done to accurately test the intakes?? I cannot find any more info. I read all of the threads with the keywords that romini specified and I only came up with the fact that the tests were flawed and were supposed to be done again.

That's why we're continuing some testing ourselves.

And where did Rominl quote something on this thread??
Old 03-07-06, 02:57 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

sorry late at night and it was you. LOL.
Old 03-07-06, 03:21 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Wow, Ethan's thread was quite enlightening. The car actually lost some power with the SRT intake alone. So, SRT ECU would bump up power 30 horses to beat out the competition That would have been an amazing feat. Too bad It could not be tested with the ECU.

Quick Reply: 1st MOD: SRT intake ... my first impressions