GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

1st MOD: SRT intake ... my first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-06, 09:48 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 311 Likes on 189 Posts

That's 5 RWHP which is about 6 HP. Yes it is kinda little, but with the SAFC - it can go up to 11 - 12 HP. Not bad in the end I guess.

Last edited by Hameed; 03-10-06 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-10-06, 12:55 PM
My98-400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet, nice write up, made me place my order today lmao
Old 03-10-06, 01:43 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

approximately 5hp gain with K&N? wow, that's surprisingly low.. i thought it'd be a little better than that...

Originally Posted by My98-400
Sweet, nice write up, made me place my order today lmao
nice, what set up did you decide to go with?

Originally Posted by redgs4
We ran the K&N first, then swapped back to the stock intake (and reset the ECU) while another car dynoed, then ran again stock. While this controlled the environmental variables of temp and humidity it did not give the ECU much of a chance to "learn". Only other HP mod is a Tanabe Hyper Medallion exhaust. The horsepower and torque curves are consistent between both with the K&N always a bit higher.

K&N - HP Max: 242, TQ Max: 255
Stock - HP Max: 237, TQ Max: 242

i can't wait to see the dyno results from the SRT intake.. will you be using the SRT ECU as well? maybe you could do a run WITHOUT the ECU and one run WITH the ECU? but then again, on the instructions for the SRT intake/ecu it specifically says not to run the intake without the ECU..? either way, the results should be interesting
Old 03-10-06, 02:11 PM
My98-400
Rookie

I ordered the SRT intake with ECU/upgrade, $399 internet price, I called to see if I could talk with them and order, but he said the $399 was internet only. $425 with shipping

(still deciding on exhaust)
Old 03-10-06, 02:19 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Nice Red, thanks

Do you have a high stall torque converter (and if so, did they lock it down)?
Old 03-10-06, 02:51 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by My98-400
I ordered the SRT intake with ECU/upgrade, $399 internet price, I called to see if I could talk with them and order, but he said the $399 was internet only. $425 with shipping

(still deciding on exhaust)
nice choice! that's the one i got same price for me as well.. it's a great deal.. good luck with your exhaust choices.. you should maybe post something up in the exhaust section and do some searches it's amazing what you can find out!
Old 03-10-06, 02:52 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Nice Red, thanks

Do you have a high stall torque converter (and if so, did they lock it down)?
Dave,
if you can ask SRT what they term a lock down of the TC? Even our local Lexus tec does not equate that term as something they would normally engauge, so a bit of clarification, even better, how to do it would be quite helpful.

As far as the HP Gain there is a caveat to the whole dyno compariaon and that is the Exhaust. Iyt has been discussed/debated for many years now that the gain of intake or exhaust is somewhat dependent on each other. In other words, the Intake and exhaust mods go hand in hand with the overall br4athing of the engine. So one aded on without the other may not show on the dyno as being significant.

What some have said is that the two mods together will show an overall HP Gain greater for the two together than if measured indifvdually. The total of the individual gains might not add up to the same value as the cumulative gain when comparing stock/ intakle ex versus modded intake / exhaust..

So in the case of redgs4, he had the exhaust mod already, so it could be said that by adding the K & N would add another 5 HP to the combined set of mods. We will assume some HP gain resulted in the exhaust mod, but we didn't test for that. So the problem is, we would of preferred to dyno his car with stock exhaust to see what the the exhaust mod dyno HP gain would be. From that we could tell what the overall gain over the two mods would be compared to stock, which I think is a better comparison.

The other thing redgs4 noted is that we DID not let the ECU "learn" the K & N set up, so unfortunately I have to say our test was flawed in that way.

Moving forward, what I would like to see is a second chance dyno with the K & N after it has had a few hundered miles for the ECU to "learn", then do the dyno again, best and average of 3 runs.

After that, change over to the SRT and let the stock ECU re-learn with the piggy back ECU and run again.

This would probably be the best and fairest way to compare the two.

In any case we will "hopefully" attempt this in the near future.
Old 03-10-06, 02:58 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Dave,
if you can ask SRT what they term a lock down of the TC? Even our local Lexus tec does not equate that term as something they would normally engauge, so a bit of clarification, even better, how to do it would be quite helpful.

As far as the HP Gain there is a caveat to the whole dyno compariaon and that is the Exhaust. Iyt has been discussed/debated for many years now that the gain of intake or exhaust is somewhat dependent on each other. In other words, the Intake and exhaust mods go hand in hand with the overall br4athing of the engine. So one aded on without the other may not show on the dyno as being significant.

What some have said is that the two mods together will show an overall HP Gain greater for the two together than if measured indifvdually. The total of the individual gains might not add up to the same value as the cumulative gain when comparing stock/ intakle ex versus modded intake / exhaust..

So in the case of redgs4, he had the exhaust mod already, so it could be said that by adding the K & N would add another 5 HP to the combined set of mods. We will assume some HP gain resulted in the exhaust mod, but we didn't test for that. So the problem is, we would of preferred to dyno his car with stock exhaust to see what the the exhaust mod dyno HP gain would be. From that we could tell what the overall gain over the two mods would be compared to stock, which I think is a better comparison.

The other thing redgs4 noted is that we DID not let the ECU "learn" the K & N set up, so unfortunately I have to say our test was flawed in that way.

Moving forward, what I would like to see is a second chance dyno with the K & N after it has had a few hundered miles for the ECU to "learn", then do the dyno again, best and average of 3 runs.

After that, change over to the SRT and let the stock ECU re-learn with the piggy back ECU and run again.

This would probably be the best and fairest way to compare the two.

In any case we will "hopefully" attempt this in the near future.
wow, now that sounds like it would come up with some pretty near accurate results, i like the idea of letting the ECU learn and also to do an average of 3 runs. this makes for a good range. do you know when you intend on attempting the next test?
Old 03-10-06, 03:57 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by Kharizma
wow, now that sounds like it would come up with some pretty near accurate results, i like the idea of letting the ECU learn and also to do an average of 3 runs. this makes for a good range. do you know when you intend on attempting the next test?
As you can see, the accuracy of the dyno and the way it is tested has so many variables that if you don't scientifically control all the variables or tell people what was or wasn't done, then the data can mislead people into taking a report and just believeing it as solid informtion.

i don't believe through the years we have conclusive evidence. We do have a lot of good independent information that leads us to make some general understanding what we can expect.

All this comes down to time and money. We usually organize a dyno meet so that we can cut the cost down. Even then it is quite a bit of $$ for someone like redgs4 to spend out of his pocket just so everyone else can benifit from the results.

In any case,when this will take place is all up to when we can gather a bunch of locals and enough of them to get a shop to give us a discount. With the current wheather, I'd say we wouldn't do it for atleast another 5 -6 weeks probably more.

We'll do what we can and surely report our findings.

DaveGS4, yes we have one other local member with the SRT who could dyno stock intake, or K & N and compare with the SRT. We could share the one K & N unit we have for testing I suppose.

It would be some great data to collect for sure.

Stay Tuned.
Old 03-12-06, 05:22 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 311 Likes on 189 Posts

I got the K&N intake a couple of weeks ago but have not had a chance to install it because of the cold weather up here.

I do plan to install it in the next week or two as it has started to get warm. I would love to dyno the car right after that ( the only other modification I have done to the intake/exhaust is that I have the L-tuned mufflers which I am pretty sure don't add any hp by themselves). Anyway, I can't afford to dyno the car.

I will also be doing a custom exhaust - 2.25 inch pipe from the 1st set of cats, an X-pipe and straight through pipes to the mufflers (using mandrel bent stainless steel pipes) . I will remove the 3rd cat and both resonators in the process.

Ideally I would like to dyno the car after the intake and then once more after the exhaust mod, but realistically can't afford to do either. I have already scheduled the exhaust mod for the 1st of April when the car insurance kicks in! Mod money is scarce. I
Old 03-12-06, 11:34 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the time I had the TC and stock gearing. They did not lock it down.

To clarify the order - we started with the K&N and went back to the stock setup. The numbers may disappoint but sound of the K&N is awesome.

I was actually a bit disappointed in the amount of time we had to do the testing. This was done during a Dyno-Day and we did not have time for many runs due to the very full schedule. The other cars got 3 full runs with the third run often having the best numbers. I got about 1.5 runs with each setup - just a bit of time to fiddle before a single full pull.

I'd like to get back on the dyno again but there are so many combos to run and so many things that have changed on the car. For instance, I'm now running the supra 3.76, heavier 20" rims and a different exhaust. I now have the SRT intake installed. I'd like to re-run with the K&N and again with SAFCII tuning. And I have a set of headers I'd like to get installed soon. Did I mention spark plugs? I have switched between the TM and Iridium several times. Gads, that's a lot of dyno runs.
Old 03-13-06, 12:18 AM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by redgs4
At the time I had the TC and stock gearing. They did not lock it down.

To clarify the order - we started with the K&N and went back to the stock setup. The numbers may disappoint but sound of the K&N is awesome.

I was actually a bit disappointed in the amount of time we had to do the testing. This was done during a Dyno-Day and we did not have time for many runs due to the very full schedule. The other cars got 3 full runs with the third run often having the best numbers. I got about 1.5 runs with each setup - just a bit of time to fiddle before a single full pull.

I'd like to get back on the dyno again but there are so many combos to run and so many things that have changed on the car. For instance, I'm now running the supra 3.76, heavier 20" rims and a different exhaust. I now have the SRT intake installed. I'd like to re-run with the K&N and again with SAFCII tuning. And I have a set of headers I'd like to get installed soon. Did I mention spark plugs? I have switched between the TM and Iridium several times. Gads, that's a lot of dyno runs.

Like I said Chris, we need to start over.

I'd be happy with just a HP comparison between the K& N and SRT with 3 pulls a piece and about a hundred or so miles to set the ECU between changes.

That will cost some money and time as Hameed commented.

I especially would like to see where the power curves are between the two and compare the TQ curves as well.

TAMR_GUS also has the SRT, so I talked to him about maybe swapping stock vs SRT for that comparison or both of you using your K & N for a "TWO DATA POINT" validation of our findings.

One thing for sure, we need to dyno our cars before the 3 of us install our headers. That will be a good report as well.