GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

1st MOD: SRT intake ... my first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-06, 09:52 PM
4GRAINR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 1st MOD: SRT intake ... my first impressions

First of all, props to Carson on the SRT Group Buy. I know many were quick to point out I could save $10 by buying it from SRT direct, but I believe in supporting the companies that make CL possible. CL has been such a resource to me and I don't think I have ever run across such a knowledge base before. I am relatively new here, but I think I caught the vibe that a lot of the CL vendors really do take care of us and stand behind what they sell. Anyway, on to the SRT intake ...

The package arrived Tuesday afternoon and I was soooo excited. I couldn't wait to get home and put it on. I called my friend and asked him if he could help me install it that night. I have no clue about soldering anything and didn't really want to learn on my own car! Unfortunately he was busy, but did make it over last night to help. We read the instructions, twice. And then we read them again. There are enough "Help me ASAP!" posts on CL to know that this was worth a double or triple check.

The stock intake was simple to remove. That whole process took just a matter of minutes. After the SRT was assembled and heat shield installed, we tightened everything down and got ready for the fun part ... the soldering and wire cutting. Note that I said wire, not wires. I read some post where I think the person cut more than one and seriously screwed up his car. What is that old phrase? Measure twice, cut once. Anway, the diagram was super easy to follow and my friend has no trouble soldering everything up. He has worked on Toyotas (mostly MR2s) for quite some time and said this was one of the easiest and straight forward aftermarket kits to work with. Props to SRT for that one.

After four or five passes to make sure everything was right, we fired her up and everything was perfect. No CEL, VSC or strange lights - flawless install. On the test drive I was a little worried about openning her up as the instructions caution you to take it easy for a while so the ECU can work it's magic and get used to the new settings.

But once we got on her on the open road and hit the gas, all I have to say is ... WOW!

There is no mistaking the sound of that V8 engine and the responsiveness was incredible! I thought it would make a difference, but I didn't expect it to make that much of a difference. What a great surprise!

I guess there are a couple schools of thought on what a car should sound like. Some like their cars quiet, comfortable and peaceful while others like them a little more ... not sure of a good word here ... how about ALIVE?

I would say this car is definitely alive now. I have always like the fact that when a G35 or 350Z goes by you know they're there because their is a certain "sound" or "presence" about them. In my personal opinion, my GS didn't have that before. I didn't drive it or listen to it and say "wow, that sounds great!". Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for a Civic with a tin can muffler that will wake up a city block or a cracked out Mustang where you can't hear yourself think, but I did want the GS to be subtle, yet at the same time let you know she's not f'ing around when she's got to take care of business. Now I have that sound and I LOVE it. Granted, this is all pre-exhaust install.

So ... in conclusion. I think the SRT intake is a great product and there is a definite difference in low end performance as well as mid level RPM pick-up. It sounds awesome and the instructions are easy and direct. I did a lot of research before I picked this as my first mod. I must have read post after post and I can't tell everyone one how useful CL is. Thanks to all of you for your input and feedback.

I will post information about my new exhaust after TM Engineering works their magic on Monday.

Oh yeah, sound clips coming soon!
Old 01-19-06, 10:08 PM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

good to hear, i think i might order myself one tomorrow.
Old 01-20-06, 03:04 AM
SUPRAboy80
Pole Position

mine is on the way
Old 01-20-06, 04:52 AM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those were my feelings exactly a few months ago when I got mine. No buyers remorse here.
Old 01-20-06, 05:21 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Nice informative post... I have the same feeling about cutting wires and doing the install.. I have no knowledge in that area....
Old 01-20-06, 05:32 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 01-20-06, 05:37 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the thread...great write-up.

Don't forget to take the SRT w/ECU poll in the "Forced Induction, Engine and Transmission Section" forum. This is my next mod and I'm happy to hear all the excitement....I can't wait to do it myself.
Old 01-20-06, 05:40 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4GRAINR
I will post information about my new exhaust after TM Engineering works their magic on Monday.

Oh yeah, sound clips coming soon!
Mine for the 430 is on it's way. Which did you buy? 400 or 430? Did you encounter any issues with the engine cover needing to be trimmed? You stated the air box was straight forward, did it use existing hardware or were new holes drilled for mounting? Like you I'm just preparing for the install trying to get everything including myself ready.
Old 01-20-06, 06:19 AM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

I did a write up on my install experiences not too long ago, and I was nervous just like you all. I had never soldered anything before in my life, and I was getting ready to cut into wires in my ECU. Follow the instructions provided, make sure you know which wires are which and you won't have any problems. Very straightforward stuff.
Old 01-20-06, 06:43 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yup yup...i agree the instructions arent that hard a..its pretty straight forward. It took me less than a half hour to do this install. i also didn't know what to expect after the install. I had the exact same thought when i opened her up...i was like WTF...LOL

Well enjoy your mod ...

**working on the mac mini install - look for pixs in the audio seciton **
Old 01-20-06, 06:55 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You are got me convinced about this intake too. I heard it live on Gsoup's car, and the car sounds menacing. It has a "don't mess with me" sound to it like a Corvette. Steve Ganz and crew at Carson are #1.
Old 01-20-06, 07:07 AM
4GRAINR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GWELEX
Mine for the 430 is on it's way. Which did you buy? 400 or 430? Did you encounter any issues with the engine cover needing to be trimmed? You stated the air box was straight forward, did it use existing hardware or were new holes drilled for mounting? Like you I'm just preparing for the install trying to get everything including myself ready.
I bought the 400. As far as fitment is concerned, I couldn't have asked for a better fit. The SRT uses the holes already drilled so it really is a "OEM" type fit to your engine. Not to mention, it looks pretty bad *** when you open up the hood. I picked up Cliffud, a fellow CL member, last night and he said that car sounded great when I pulled up. He could hear a little something and it definitely lets people know you've arrived, but in a tasteful way.
Old 01-20-06, 08:03 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought the 400. As far as fitment is concerned, I couldn't have asked for a better fit. The SRT uses the holes already drilled so it really is a "OEM" type fit to your engine. Not to mention, it looks pretty bad *** when you open up the hood. I picked up Cliffud, a fellow CL member, last night and he said that car sounded great when I pulled up. He could hear a little something and it definitely lets people know you've arrived, but in a tasteful way.
\

until you go WOT...LOL and then you will see the faces on the people standing there...like WTF!!!!!

yup.. it has excellent craftsmanship on the part where the MAF goes...
the only mod i did to it was that i went and made a duct from the area down below next to the fog light and ran it up straight to the airbox area, so its feeding it alot more fresh air from the front of the car.. i gotta take pixs and post when i get a chance...
Old 01-20-06, 08:12 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

pics?!
Old 01-20-06, 08:41 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSoup
\

until you go WOT...LOL and then you will see the faces on the people standing there...like WTF!!!!!

yup.. it has excellent craftsmanship on the part where the MAF goes...
the only mod i did to it was that i went and made a duct from the area down below next to the fog light and ran it up straight to the airbox area, so its feeding it alot more fresh air from the front of the car.. i gotta take pixs and post when i get a chance...
G..that would be really cool if you could show us the cold air mod. Thanks.

Quick Reply: 1st MOD: SRT intake ... my first impressions