GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Noobie land :/ Anyone have the diagram to remove the front bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-06, 06:31 AM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Noobie land :/ Anyone have the diagram to remove the front bumper?

I suppose the principal for removing all front bumpers are the same, but thought I'd throw this out anyways. Does anyone have a diagram aka blueprint of the lexus front bumper? Like showing all the bolts, tabs, and sh|ts are at?

I'm looking for something like this. Any help is appreciated, or if you can verbally describe would work too.

Old 01-22-06, 08:09 AM
Vette Boy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked through my 2002 FSM, I can't find any explaination of how to remove it. Looks like you just start pulling out fasteners....
Old 01-22-06, 08:12 AM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Doh... that sucks then. A friend of mine cracked my front bumper. I was thinking of getting a replacement and just getting it painted, then installed by myself to save on labor charges.
Old 01-22-06, 08:22 AM
Vette Boy
Pole Position

If the old one is cracked, I'd have at it. You have a free learner! If it was my Lexus, I'd have a body shop do it. Panel alignment is something that takes practice, I want someone who's done 100 bumpers do mine, not some DIY'er on his first one (that's me!).
Old 01-22-06, 09:40 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Here you go. It's #6 under "Exterior."

http://lexusmodz.netfirms.com/
Old 01-22-06, 09:50 AM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

banana's web page is good. most bolts you can see..the hard ones are behind the inside fender lining. there are two on each side and all bolts are 10mm.

it may be helpful to take off the front wheels so you can stick you head inside this area so you can see those bolts.

is that diagram above for an SC?
Old 01-22-06, 10:36 AM
Vette Boy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by corkycal
is that diagram above for an SC?
I thought his pix was a GS400. I have the same style diagram for a 2002 GS, is it the same as a GS400? If so I can email it, I can't post big pix.
Old 01-22-06, 10:41 AM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

1. Can the front bumper be removed w/o removing the headlights? And the wheels gotta be removed to right?

2. Should the new bumper be painted attached to the car, or off the car and then installed afterwards?

3. Is there anything that needs to be transferred from the old bumper to the new one (besides the fog lights)? I noticed there is a metal shiny metal strip between the fender and the bumper that goes across the whole bumper.

This is the shiny line I'm talking about. You can see it above the sidemarkers:

Last edited by mikevanle; 01-22-06 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-22-06, 10:58 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikevanle
e-man, the front bumper can be removed w/o taking the headlights off? How long would I be looking to spend time doing this? I might just try it tonight for the hell of it if it's under an hour.
Right, you don't have to touch the headlights to remove the front bumper. It's the flipside that's the issue -- if you want to install new headlights, you have to remove the front bumper to do so. As for the time it takes, I've personally never done it, but I've heard that the first time you do it, it can be a little tricky. But, after you've done it once, I've been told it's very easy to do. I do know this, though -- be sure to take out your fog lights before you remove the bumper (those are easy to remove -- they're held in by two screws which are visible as you're looking at them from the front. Just remove the screws and the fog light comes right out. Disconnect the wires, and it's out. It's that simple).

e
Old 01-22-06, 11:04 AM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

^^ I editted my post. Can you just rundown the ques?

I'm more interested in what needs to be transferred over.

Also I'm looking at this eBay bumper. Is it a replica or an OEM. Pic looks to be OEM, but you know how eBay listings are: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-03...spagenameZWDVW
Old 01-22-06, 11:38 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Mike,

1. Yes, you do not need to remove the headlights. You do not NEED to remove the wheels but it is a real paint in the *** if you don't.

2.I would paint it off the car - overspray sucks.

3. Well obviously the foam support will stay on, and yes, the metal strip will need to be transferred. You will just peel it off the bumper as it is held on with double sided tape. Then take an exactoknife and peel it off like you would peeling a potato. Then get a strip of 3M double sided tape and lay the metal on one side of it and exacto it. Stick it on the new one and you are set.

Jonny
Old 01-22-06, 11:42 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikevanle
1. Can the front bumper be removed w/o removing the headlights? And the wheels gotta be removed to right?

2. Should the new bumper be painted attached to the car, or off the car and then installed afterwards?

3. Is there anything that needs to be transferred from the old bumper to the new one (besides the fog lights)? I noticed there is a metal shiny metal strip between the fender and the bumper that goes across the whole bumper.

This is the shiny line I'm talking about. You can see it above the sidemarkers:
Sure Mike.

1. Yes. You can and should remove the front bumper without touching the headlights. As for turning the wheels, I believe you need to turn the wheels so you can gain access to the bolts that are behind the plastic wheel well liner.

2. The bumper should be painted off the car (or, if it's on the car, it should at least be loosened a bit so they can spray in between the seams where the bumper meets the fenders). Ideally, though, it should be removed from the car.

3. As for the shiny strip, it can be removed and reattached, but if it were me, I would just go ahead and buy a new one. I believe Carson Toyota sells them for around $50 or so. I guess you could always try to remove it and transfer it over. If it breaks or doesn't look just right, then I would just buy another one. Oh, and you'll also need to transfer over the side markers, which just made me think of something. I don't know for sure whether you need to remove those before removing the bumper. I don't think you have to because there's enough slack in the side marker wiring to take the bumper off, but you'll want to check on that to make sure.
Old 01-22-06, 11:47 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Oh, I just realized that I forgot to answer one of your questions. If you read closely, that ebay listing is for an OEM "style" bumper, which means that it's NOT OEM. It could be just fine. I really don't know. However, I do know that it's not a genuine Toyoya part.
Old 01-22-06, 12:26 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Cool, great thanks guys. CL sure is friendly . You ask something like this on SF and you get your hands chopped off .

I believe Carson is a sponsor of this site right? I don't see a subforum for them where you can ask questions. On SF, all sponsors have subforums.
Old 01-23-06, 07:59 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this what you were looking for?
Attached Thumbnails Noobie land :/ Anyone have the diagram to remove the front bumper?-gs-frontbumper-medium-.jpg  

Quick Reply: Noobie land :/ Anyone have the diagram to remove the front bumper?