GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Just bought my first Lexus, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-06, 04:06 PM
gs4nthe505
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought my first Lexus, now what?

I was in the market for a good car for under 20k and a 99 lexus gs 400 caught my eye. I didnt really know anything about Lexus or the gs4 when I saw it and really still dont know that much. All i knew was that i saw this sweet looking car, (Im formerly a truck guy and this is taking some getting used to) that looked like a 2002 or 03 and my jaw dropped when i saw that it was a 99. It only had 53K miles on it and after I drove it I fell in love with it and bought it for $18800. Its a black car with a spoiler and chrome dipped (i think ) 17s. Theres not a scratch on it and Im the third owner. That was last week and since then Ive had the windows tinted.

Not knowing much about cars I dont really know where to go next, from what Ive read on here, my car needs to be lowered. why? how much does that cost and will it ruin the ride or make it better?

I want new wheels but dont know wether to look at like 18s or go bigger, i like 20s but will that make the ride rough?
should wheels and tires be done at the same time I lower the car or what,

Basically this all boils down to :: I NEED TO FIND OUT WHAT I NEED TO BE TALKING WY WIFE INTO NEXT, (sigh, any of you who are married probably know what I mean)

I have tons more questions, and as soon as i can find my camera i will post some pics
Old 01-22-06, 04:12 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gs4nthe505
I was in the market for a good car for under 20k and a 99 lexus gs 400 caught my eye. I didnt really know anything about Lexus or the gs4 when I saw it and really still dont know that much. All i knew was that i saw this sweet looking car, (Im formerly a truck guy and this is taking some getting used to) that looked like a 2002 or 03 and my jaw dropped when i saw that it was a 99. It only had 53K miles on it and after I drove it I fell in love with it and bought it for $18800. Its a black car with a spoiler and chrome dipped (i think ) 17s. Theres not a scratch on it and Im the third owner. That was last week and since then Ive had the windows tinted.

Not knowing much about cars I dont really know where to go next, from what Ive read on here, my car needs to be lowered. why? how much does that cost and will it ruin the ride or make it better?

I want new wheels but dont know wether to look at like 18s or go bigger, i like 20s but will that make the ride rough?
should wheels and tires be done at the same time I lower the car or what,

Basically this all boils down to :: I NEED TO FIND OUT WHAT I NEED TO BE TALKING WY WIFE INTO NEXT, (sigh, any of you who are married probably know what I mean)

I have tons more questions, and as soon as i can find my camera i will post some pics
It's your lucky day, because I will tell you everything you need to know about Lexus.

Lexus is perfection - don't mess with it. Do not lower it, do not modify it in any way, do not install anything aftermarket on it. It will last your 250k or more miles and never let you down.
Old 01-22-06, 04:13 PM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Congrats on the the new purchase. Welcome and bring on the pics!!!!!!! Specific searches here can answer many of your questions. Lot's choices availble in both wheels and suspension. The gallery is a good place for ideas.
Old 01-22-06, 04:28 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on your purchase. If you want to stay married and keep your money in the bank, then forget you ever saw this site...lol. Actually, there's plenty you can do to your car. Everything from body enhancements to performance mods. Your only limited to your bankroll. You can browse the gallary to get ideas for body kits as well as what your car can look like when its lowered and with different wheels sizes. Then go ahead and browse in the suspension & brakes sections for goodies like big brake kits, and suspension lowering options. Then you can look in the Forced Induction, Engine and Transmission section for the mods that can make your gs even quicker..
Hope your prepared to do a lot of talking with the wife.
Old 01-22-06, 05:29 PM
GoFaSSter
Driver

Smile

This sounds like the exact same boat I am in. I got my car about 6 months ago and I sold my truck right after that. I have been trying to convince my wife of a lot of things, but only a few have come through.
Old 01-22-06, 05:31 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

WELCOME
Old 01-22-06, 06:21 PM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

The key on what to do next, is DONT TELL THE WIFEY ANYTHING!! Get a seperate account that she wont know about, and a alternate shipping address...cause you're gonna be spending a lot of money on mods, and will need a place to ship them to other than your house so she wont know what you're up to!!!

Seriously though, congrats on your purchase and welcome to the CL family. You can find the answers to almost any question using the search or advanced search features, and the members here are very helpful and resourceful
Old 01-22-06, 07:18 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Congrats and look forward to pure hapiness!! I didn't cop my Lex yet but I'm counting down the days. I get a high whenever I'm in my friends' GS or SC and I can only imagine what it will be like when I get my own. I'm tired of having to give the keys back.
Old 01-22-06, 07:47 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome to CL. Congrats on the purchase.

Let's hear the budget and we'll be happy to help you spend it.
Old 01-22-06, 07:49 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the site. And like you I had to do the wife begging too. Anyway. Enjoy this site you will see that there are plenty u can do to enhance your GS. Now she is pregnant with our first child so my modding days are gone, now have to figure on which cars to sell for a SUV.
Old 01-22-06, 08:04 PM
Wringo
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Congrats and Welcome!

Welcome to the Club! When the modding bug bites, it hurts in the worst way!! You've been warned! -wringo
Old 01-22-06, 09:28 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome, congrats and um..ya...
Old 01-22-06, 10:13 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

welcome, congrats on the new buy !! you'll get the MOD bug really soon!!!
Old 01-22-06, 10:14 PM
speedie
Pole Position

Welcome to the Club..

First tip - DO NOT RUSH into anything...think your choices through and ask for advice before purchasing and installing anything you may not be sure about....

This site is full of so much "GS" specific information you may get as caught up as I am..
Old 01-23-06, 07:53 AM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Not knowing much about cars I dont really know where to go next, from what Ive read on here, my car needs to be lowered. why?
People lower their cars mainly for the looks. Lowering will also improve handling somewhat, but if handling is what you're after, then an aftermarket sway bar will give you better bang for your bucks--at least initially. And tinting was a great start, by the way. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Just bought my first Lexus, now what?