GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need HELP. Car won't start...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-06, 06:56 AM
lalexusgs
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need HELP. Car won't start...

Just got into the car ready to drive to work. Turned the key on, everything lighted up very bright, but the car won't make any sound. Need your expertise guys. Is it a starter problem that many complained about? All the dashboard is lighted very bright, so I don't think it can be battery, however the car is dead.

I appreciate any help...
Old 01-24-06, 07:27 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

could be solenoid in starter, shift lock, battery connections.......
Old 01-24-06, 08:07 AM
redbaron
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery

Check your battery first. I thought my starter was going bad because I had never had problems with the battery. I did take the battery to the local auto parts store and they confirmed that it would no longer hold a charge.

Anyhow, I went to Costco and got a new battery and it fixed the problem completely. I also had similar symptoms where the interior lights worked (radio, dash, etc), just no starting.

Another thing to try is to make sure that your positive and negative cables on your battery are firmly attached. This has also happened to me and by making sure they were tight fixed that problem.

good luck
b
Old 01-24-06, 08:56 AM
rbeermann
Pole Position

Originally Posted by redbaron
Check your battery first. I thought my starter was going bad because I had never had problems with the battery. I did take the battery to the local auto parts store and they confirmed that it would no longer hold a charge.

Anyhow, I went to Costco and got a new battery and it fixed the problem completely. I also had similar symptoms where the interior lights worked (radio, dash, etc), just no starting.

Another thing to try is to make sure that your positive and negative cables on your battery are firmly attached. This has also happened to me and by making sure they were tight fixed that problem.

good luck
b
+1
also, check to see if there is any corrosion on your battery terminals.
Old 01-24-06, 09:23 AM
lalexusgs
Advanced

Thank you so much, guys.
You gave me a hope that it still might be a battery. I'll check it as soon as I get home (Had to drive wife's car today)
Old 01-24-06, 09:38 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

When you turned the ignition....did it make a sound at all?

LIke others before me have said....the battery seems the most logical. Also make sure the car is in P (park)...if its slightly out of gear...it won't start.

GL.

Pete
Old 01-24-06, 01:17 PM
lalexusgs
Advanced

No, it didn't make any sound at all, just all the lights on dashboard came up. Now I am almost sure there is something with battery connectors, 'cause my wife just called me and said that she tried to start the car and it started just fine from the very first time.

But again, I want to thank everybody for replies.
Old 01-24-06, 01:29 PM
gbondioli
Lead Lap

Lightbulb

I had to jump start my GS the day after I bought it! I was checking out the electronic goodies all throughout the day, while playing "Return of the King" in the background. I had the engine off most of the time. I snuck out to the garage after midnight to play some more, and suddenly the radio shut off. I immediately tried to start the car and it only made clicking noises. I called Lexus roadside assistance (I was not even registered with them, yet). I was told that the GS requires 85% battery power to start. If it drops to 84%, the other electronics will work, but you CANNOT start the engine! (BTW, why did my radio turn off, then?)
I used my wife's car to jumpstart mine, and everything was fine.