GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

After Alignment, Still Getting Vibration At 55+ MPH?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-01, 07:30 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by lexguynj

ABB, thanks for the helpful info, but is there anything else that can be done about this. Even the factory 17" wheels and tires, I guess you would consider them low profile. This isn't even an aftermarket issue, this is a stock issue. I would assume the stock 16" wheel package would be much better, but they just look too small and not as good as the 17's.

Maybe L-tuned components is the way to go?
Lexguy, I got some solutions, if you really call them it

When I had my 17's, I had some vibration. I found out it was uneven tire pressure in my wheels. That was about 90% of the problem and the other 10% was the crappy potenza's that I had on.

Old 08-17-01, 08:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally I had the stock 17s and Potenzas on the car. At 5K mi. I had the dealer rotate and balance the wheels. Not that I noticed any vibration prior to that, but after that I could go 0-120 and anything in between with ZERO vibration, shake, tramlining, etc.

I got aftermarket rims, and I've ranted about my balancing saga with them in a number of threads.

Recently I went to get new (wider and therefore higher profile) front tires as an experiment to see if that might improve the balance. The tire shop told me my right front rim was bent so I went home, put the stock 17 spare with (new) Potenza on in place of the bent 18 (both 235's so no prob), and I took the bent rim to a place called Wheel Wizard.

Interestingly, the car rode quite a bit smoother with the stock 17 and the aftermarket 18 on the front.

Today I got back the front right rim and remounted it. Haven't driven it yet, but if it's still wobbly, I'll get the new tires (Toyo T1-S's) on the front ASAP.

I just read on hear about a 4 for the price of 3 deal on Toyo's right now, so I'll see if that's available here and if it works for a staggered set. If so, I'll probably just go ahead and replace all 4 tires now.

Anyway, my main point was that the stock 17s are not as low profile as my 18s, and they rode GREAT.
Old 08-20-01, 06:04 AM
ABB
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys,

I think this vibration problem is suspension design flaw, some cars are worse then others. After dealing with this problem I'm never going to aftermarket rims again. If you have the same problem with stock rims/tires you can go bother the dealer with this, and my dealer, Prestige Lexus in NJ, has Hunter balancer.
And this problem is not exclusive to GS, Jaguar S-Type with Sport package, and Audi have the same problems. Dealers know about this problem, if they tell otherwise then they're liying. Hope this helps.

Old 08-20-01, 09:07 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by ABB
Hey guys,

I think this vibration problem is suspension design flaw, some cars are worse then others. After dealing with this problem I'm never going to aftermarket rims again. If you have the same problem with stock rims/tires you can go bother the dealer with this, and my dealer, Prestige Lexus in NJ, has Hunter balancer.
And this problem is not exclusive to GS, Jaguar S-Type with Sport package, and Audi have the same problems. Dealers know about this problem, if they tell otherwise then they're liying. Hope this helps.
1. What suspension design flaw?
2. What does it have to do with aftermarket rims?
3. Why do you say it's a common problem with cars from multiple manufacturers?

Last edited by RealMarty; 08-20-01 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-20-01, 09:51 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Whats up ABB.

I am just wondering, any dealer ever admitted that Lexus had a design flaw in their suspension? No dealer ever told me that there was a problem with their design.

IMO, I believe aftermarket rim's quality is better than the lexus rims.
Old 08-20-01, 10:30 AM
ABB
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by RealMarty

Maybe suspension design flaw is a little strong, but in my opinion there definitely something wrong when so many people having the same problem. The suspension is just too sensitive.

Aftermarket rims can make it worse, because they could be not to the manufacturer's specs.

Check out Jaguar and Audi board.

Old 08-20-01, 03:04 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

ABB,

That just doesn't make sense to me. I've had 2 GSs with 17s and, except for when the crap Potenzas were wearing out and when my new Michelins were first put on and had to be re-balanced a few days later, I've never had a vibration problem.

If you're saying that the GS amplifies the irregularities of poor after-market rims then perhaps I can buy that, but I'd think any "high performance" car would do that.

Based on the number of members we have on this site I wouldn't say we have a large number of complaints about uncurable vibrations. Yes, we have some complaints like Diesel's, but as I recall it, when you read the threads they're usually traced to a bad tire or warped rotor or bent rim, not an intrinsic problem with the car.

Diesel, IMO you're going to find that the problem lies somewhere with your 20s or your tires (centering rings, out of round, something), not with a suspension defect with the car.
Old 08-20-01, 04:04 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Diesel, IMO you're going to find that the problem lies somewhere with your 20s or your tires (centering rings, out of round, something), not with a suspension defect with the car.
Marty, I agree that it has something to do with my wheels/tires. Tomorrow I'm going to check my air pressure to see if I have the same psi's in all the tires, plus I have a hunch maybe one of my weights fell off on one of my rims. I hope I don't have a bent in my rim, I do not remember hitting any noticable hard bumps(knock on wood)

Let me ask you something Marty, I know if you don't get a wheel alignment, you'll see uneven tire wear down the line, BUT how about if you gotten the alignment but you still get vibration, would THAT cause uneven tire wear as well?

thanks man.
Old 08-20-01, 05:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Quick update - I got the bent rim fixed, then I replaced the front Nittos with Toyo Proxes T1-S's today. Haven't done a long drive yet, but a short amount of ~60mph driving on the highway showed a MASSIVE improvement. I noticed only the slightest intermittent hint of vibration, which may just have been road surface.

I think there's a few points to mention here...

1) I think a lot of after market rims are not going to be designed for the Lexus axle (mine have odd ball 73mm center bore), so you need centering rings to improve the ride, and even then, they don't always fix it.

2) Most people are running much lower profile tires on after market rims than stock, which are a) going to magnify any imperfections in balance and the road, and b) have stiffer sidewalls which mean that there's a greater chance of being out of round.

3) Alignment and PROPER balancing are important. The Hunter GSP 9700 (which my Lexus dealer and better rim/tire places have) is the best machine out there. Check www.gsp9700.com for a location near you, and check out this explanation of what this amazing machine does, at: http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/images/fl.../allmovies.htm

I really wish I hadn't had to learn so much about this, but I guess I'll know next time, anyway .
Old 08-20-01, 07:11 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by DIESELMAN63
Let me ask you something Marty, I know if you don't get a wheel alignment, you'll see uneven tire wear down the line, BUT how about if you gotten the alignment but you still get vibration, would THAT cause uneven tire wear as well?
Any vibration of the wheel, for an extended period of time, will cause uneven tire wear. And once the tire has worn unevenly, it will continue to wear unevenly.

But, the question here is what is the cause of your problem. Only continuing the investigation will uncover the answer.

Let us know what you find.
Old 08-21-01, 06:37 AM
GS430_4Me
Rookie

Bit,

Thanks for the directions to the Hunter site.
Old 08-21-01, 08:52 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Any vibration of the wheel, for an extended period of time, will cause uneven tire wear. And once the tire has worn unevenly, it will continue to wear unevenly.

But, the question here is what is the cause of your problem. Only continuing the investigation will uncover the answer.

Let us know what you find.
I will let you guys know. Though, it seems like the vibration is occuring only between 50-60 MPH, then after that everything is fine. Before 50 MPH, its smooth sailing, and after 60 MPH smooth sailing as well.

HMM...
Old 08-21-01, 11:11 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

either the tyre, or the wheel, may be both are not properly balanced, definitely....
Old 08-24-01, 12:27 AM
TOPSPEED
Rookie

Smile Got the vibrations fixed on my GS400

Wow! Took the dealership 2 1/2 days to fix the vibrations on the steering wheel. But finally I can drive this wonderful car without the annoying vibrations. First the dealer balanced the tires as usual, but it didn't work. The next, they noticed the front brake rotors were out of round. They replaced the front brake pads and machined front rotors. This sloved the vibrations when I press the brake around 50mph. Then, they noticed the tires are out of balance due to tires slipping on rims. So they indexed all four tires and rebalanced all four tires again. I did have to wait almost 3 days for them to complete all the repairs. But now the vibration is finally gone. And by the way, all the work above is done free of charge for "goodwill gesture" per the dealer.

I hope this information will help all the GS owners who have steering wheel vibration problems. As I see here, this problem is very common.
Old 08-24-01, 06:30 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Got the vibrations fixed on my GS400

Originally posted by TOPSPEED
Wow! Took the dealership 2 1/2 days to fix the vibrations on the steering wheel. But finally I can drive this wonderful car without the annoying vibrations. First the dealer balanced the tires as usual, but it didn't work. The next, they noticed the front brake rotors were out of round. They replaced the front brake pads and machined front rotors. This sloved the vibrations when I press the brake around 50mph. Then, they noticed the tires are out of balance due to tires slipping on rims. So they indexed all four tires and rebalanced all four tires again. I did have to wait almost 3 days for them to complete all the repairs. But now the vibration is finally gone. And by the way, all the work above is done free of charge for "goodwill gesture" per the dealer.

I hope this information will help all the GS owners who have steering wheel vibration problems. As I see here, this problem is very common.
I'm glad the problem is gone. For me, I'm taking my car to my brother's shop tomorrow to see what he can do to balance my wheels. I need to change my front rotors, its getting warped.

But hey, hopefully I will win the $280 million dollar Powerball and just get a new GS

Quick Reply: After Alignment, Still Getting Vibration At 55+ MPH?