GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

After Alignment, Still Getting Vibration At 55+ MPH?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-01, 04:28 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nanotech - Might not be what we have been talking about, but then it might. Exactly what rotational speed the out of balance condition (whatever component it is) creates the harmonic that induces the vibration will vary slightly with the component (tire, rim, size, how far out of balance it is, etc.) and it is also affected by the rest of the suspension components that will contribute to where the harmonic sets up. 65 to 85 seems a little high for onset but on the cars that I have experienced it (and the GS430 has yet to do it but it only has 1300 miles on it) it could start in the 50s and it was usually gone by 80. Wouldn't read too much into the exact speed where somebody is experiencing onset or where it goes away. I am curious about the Lexus fix that was posted, would have to check into that. The only type of fix I heard of for this was a steering dampener that just added more load on the steering in order to move the vibration to a not so noticeable region. Curious how many people who are experiencing this have it go away with a new set of tires. If there was one thing that really reduced it, it was a nice new set of round balanced tires. Sure wish we could find some way around this. A whole lot of folks with a whole of different cars would welcome it.
Old 08-28-01, 06:17 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Ron, thanks for all your points of views, I'll keep you updated on whats happening.
Old 09-04-01, 11:21 AM
lydon
Driver School Candidate

Default GS 400 vibration/ shuttering in the rain 56-60mph!

I have a GS400, when im in the rain the steering starts to vibrate between 56-60 mph, ive had an professional alignment done , tires balanced, and changed tire type from MIchelin pilots, to Perrelli P-0's , same thing. I don't remember if the car did the same thing with the stock rubber, and rims. Im running Volk AV_3's 235/35/19 frt and 275 30/19's in rear. Has anybody had similar vibration. It's only in the rain , in dry the car is stable as a rock, right up to a 155 mph.

2001 Tundra
1998 GS 400
1992 MR2 Turbo

Old 09-04-01, 11:27 AM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Lexus dealer told me it needs to be aligned and that I could do it anywhere, didn't have to be Lexus.

Also, in my vibration problem, its not only the steering that vibrates, you can actually feel the whole car vibrating. Even once when I was sitting in the rear while my dad was driving, I felt it vibrate at those speeds 65 to 85....increases as you get to 80, then decreases until its gone after 85...its very annoying especially since those are the speeds at which we usually drive...now I have to drive 85+ mph in order to not get the vibration.
Old 09-04-01, 11:28 AM
lydon
Driver School Candidate

Default GS 400 vibration/ shuttering in the rain 56-60mph!

I have a GS400, when im in the rain the steering starts to vibrate between 56-60 mph, ive had an professional alignment done , tires balanced, and changed tire type from MIchelin pilots, to Perrelli P-0's , same thing. I don't remember if the car did the same thing with the stock rubber, and rims. Im running Volk AV_3's 235/35/19 frt and 275 30/19's in rear. Has anybody had similar vibration. It's only in the rain , in dry the car is stable as a rock, right up to a 155 mph.

2001 Tundra
1998 GS 400
1992 MR2 Turbo

:eek:
Old 09-04-01, 12:26 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

lydon - A problem like that has got to drive you crazy. I wish I could figure some way that a vibration or alignment problem would only show up in the rain. My tiny mind has a hard time even coming up with possiblities. Is it possible that it is not a suspension vibration but an engine vibration? Problems in the rain immediately make you think electrics (any Jag owners, or ex-Jag owners out there?) either engine or steering or maybe the ABS system. A vibration is a vibration and sometimes it is not so easy to figure out where it is coming from. Please be advised that I am merely speculating here but because (1) you have done the alignment/balance thing and (2) it only happens in the wet, seems like it may be an electrical gremlin. Sure wish I had something better to add, I'll bet it is going to be a bear to find.
Old 09-04-01, 03:10 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Default Re: GS 400 vibration/ shuttering in the rain 56-60mph!

Originally posted by lydon

Lydon, if its only in the rain, it has to be the tires. Vibration in rain and not in dry weather must has something to do with the tires.
Old 09-05-01, 06:53 AM
lydon
Driver School Candidate

I dont think it is the tires because ive recently changed them from :

Michelin Pilots (vibrated at 60-67mph)

to
Perrelli P-0 (vibrates at 56-60mph)

My allingment guy thinks it might need balancing on the car instead of off the car on a balancing machine.

My Mechanic things it might one or more of the bushings in the suspension.

98 GS 400/ RMM intake/ Greddy PE exhaust/ Tein HA coilovers/ RMM tower strut/ Cusco rear strut/ Volk AV-3's 19's/ Perrelli P-0's
Old 09-05-01, 01:32 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

lydon - Balancing on the car instead of off and possible bushing wear are both great calls. Problem is if either one of those were the issue I would expect the vibration in the dry as well as the wet. Dry pavement doesn't treat worn bushings better than wet. Balancing on the car includes the rotor in the mix so it gets a little better although the rotor would have to have a real problem to make a big difference compared to where the weight is on the rim and tire. I will hope it works and keep trying to think of something. Then again, different tires shifted the speed range where the vibration showed up in the wet so maybe that is trying to tell us something as well.
Old 09-05-01, 02:31 PM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

CHECK THIS OUT!

I had the same problem you guys are having....major vibs at 55 -65mph...BTW I have 20x8.5

So I take your suggestions and get it balanced with a hunter machine.....

Stops vibs at 55 mph...great, but now it does it at 65mph!?!?!

So today I go back to get it done again and I find that the hub centric rings are missing. They are basicly large "o" rings that go around the hub and touch the wheel.

Anyways, I get them put on and NO more vibs at all!!!!

Whooo Hooooo
Old 09-05-01, 03:26 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by CSHFLW
CHECK THIS OUT!

I had the same problem you guys are having....major vibs at 55 -65mph...BTW I have 20x8.5

So I take your suggestions and get it balanced with a hunter machine.....

Stops vibs at 55 mph...great, but now it does it at 65mph!?!?!

So today I go back to get it done again and I find that the hub centric rings are missing. They are basicly large "o" rings that go around the hub and touch the wheel.

Anyways, I get them put on and NO more vibs at all!!!!

Whooo Hooooo
I'm glad that you solved the problem. But let me ask you something. When you first put on your twenties, was the vibration always there to begin with? Or did you get the vibration after you did some suspension work like lowering (if you did any at all).
Old 09-05-01, 03:43 PM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

Vibration was always there.........and I have not done anything to the suspension.......

Going to put Eibachs on this weekend though.....
Old 09-06-01, 07:29 AM
JacobT

Hi Guys,

I just order some new tires so I decided to spend some time to tackle on this vibration problem.
After I got my new tire installed and balanced, the vibration got even worse than before. I could not believe it since I was there all the time and saw all wheels are perfectly balanced on the balance machine.

First I measure the tire presaure and found out there're 2psi difference between the front two tires. So I put some more air in to bring them equal. Second, I took both front wheel down, center the wheel studs to the rotor and carefully install the wheel back torqued all nut 80lb with star pattern. After all these, I took the car out for a spin, silky smooth, no problem at all.

My conclusion was, never trust those impact ranch for the quick job. Slowely hand tie with proper torque is the key factor to remove those annoying vibrations.:eek:
Old 09-06-01, 03:48 PM
Juan C. Cos

Hey guys, I had that crappy vibration since day 1, and after 5 tire balancing jobs, 3 wheel changes, and 2 4-wheel alignments, same crap. I knew at that point something else was the problem, but I decided to wait until Lexus addressed it, since ALL magazine articles on the GS4 had the same problem (especially with 17's), and nobody at Lexus knew what the hell to do next. Well, even though I live in El Paso (very small dealership; my car the only one of 3 sold with the problem), Sterling-McCall lexus from Houston helped me out. When I bought the borlas from them, the point came up and he told me he had dozens of cases, and it was a flaw on the steering rack-and-pinion system. He called me to let me know the TSB was out, explained to my dealer how to do it, and told me it would cure 90% of the problem, but not completely, since it was a design flaw with a good intention (lexus added too much feel to the steering). To make a story short, he was right: mine is gone about 90% indeed, and only happens occasionally and very mildly. I forgot what the TSB kit contained, but it was a new bushing, a heavier spring, and some other little parts that go in the steering rack itself. I can live with it, but I'm still disappointed a $50K car has this problem with stock wheels/tires.
This problem could affect all 98s and some 99s; I had to wait 1-1/2 years for the TSB to come out and fix the car. My car didn't vibrate at all if I let loose the wheel; it was just the steering wheel, and it was BAAAAADDDD!
Try www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars and search for the TSB on the GS400 (there are tons of them); it lists all the VINs affected. If yours is there, have it done before the warranty expires. All TSBs are only good during factory warranty.
Hope this helps guys!
Juan Carlos
Old 09-06-01, 04:04 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Juan C. Cos
This problem could affect all 98s and some 99s; I had to wait 1-1/2 years for the TSB to come out and fix the car. My car didn't vibrate at all if I let loose the wheel; it was just the steering wheel, and it was BAAAAADDDD!
Try www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars and search for the TSB on the GS400 (there are tons of them); it lists all the VINs affected. If yours is there, have it done before the warranty expires. All TSBs are only good during factory warranty.
Hope this helps guys!
Juan Carlos
This is bull*****. They won't fix the TSB if you don't have warranty anymore?! I mean, its lexus's flaw and they being a good car company, they should just fix it warranty or NO warranty ! Anyone know how much is the TSB if you have to pay for it?

Quick Reply: After Alignment, Still Getting Vibration At 55+ MPH?