GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Anyone have the TRD LSD?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-01, 10:14 AM
GSman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking about getting the TRD LSD. For those that have the LSD, do you notice a difference in your everyday driving? Better launches? What is the ratio and how does it differ from stock? I think the RMM LSD is 3.76? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 08-14-01, 06:43 PM
JacobT

I have TRD LSD. It's just the clutch part. You need to dis-assemble the stock rear end, separate the ring gear from stock differential and re-assemble the ring gear with the TRD LSD then put everything back together. So technically speaking, the TRD LSD is the same gear ratio as stock which is 3.26.

It give you much better launch without wheel spin. When pushing out of corners, you can feel the rear wheel locking to avoid the inner wheel spin and exit out of the corner faster. The unit is around $800 and it cost 6 hours of labor to install.
Old 08-14-01, 06:49 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

GSman,

You might want to do a search for "limited slip" to get our previous extensive posts on this subject.

I got mine for the track, and don't know how much it improves launch time on the street. It definitely hinders the back end from breaking loose.

The TRD LSD keeps the stock ratio, while the RMM has instances of hitting the rev limiter.

Good luck.
Old 08-14-01, 07:21 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by QBranchCars
GSman,

You might want to do a search for "limited slip" to get our previous extensive posts on this subject.

I got mine for the track, and don't know how much it improves launch time on the street. It definitely hinders the back end from breaking loose.

Calvin,

does LSD really keeps the back end from breaking loose during launches? I really thought it's not that useful unless you take the car to the track.

Wei was talkin to me about too much wheelspin, keeping him from doing powerbrakes. Will LSD solve that? I think he just needs better tires. Does LSD really help launch if there's no gearing change?
Old 08-14-01, 09:04 PM
RacingAristo

I have the same question as Ray and Wei do. Please enlighten us.
Old 08-14-01, 10:43 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Originally posted by GlobeCLK

Calvin,

does LSD really keeps the back end from breaking loose during launches? I really thought it's not that useful unless you take the car to the track.

Does LSD really help launch if there's no gearing change?
Ray,

I can't give you a good answer regarding launches before and after LSD install (not my driving style), as I stated in my first post. But on the track, and curves on the street, it's harder to break the end loose. I believe Jacob posted in the past that with the LSD, it puts more of the "power" from the TC to the pavement instead of wheel spin. Theoretically, if energy is converted to moving the car instead of wheelspin, you should get a better launch even with no gear change. Perhaps Jacob or HI98GS can enlighten us about the launches.
Old 08-15-01, 01:43 AM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Default launches

Thanks Calvin,

well here is my experience with hard launches. I have been doing a lot of drag racing. Much of what I have to say is from my experience at the tracks and a few late nite stop light actions.

I run 19 inch tires as on my sig. (tires are Pirelli assymetrico on the rear tires) The car will easily break loose in the light drizzle on hard launches. The car will just stay in place and "peg leg" it for awhile until the wheel that has lost traction "bites" You lose too much time and will easily lose a race with any car if you spin rubber.

On the race track, I notice that the tires really bite. when both wheels have traction, the car just feels awesome, you sink into the chair and feel the power. If you can get all the power down to the pavement then there is no wasted energy. Power is nothing without control or traction. The LSD will decrease the amount of uncontrolled wheel spin.

If you are not gonna launch hard each time or do some sort of autocrossing the the stock diff is fine. I prefer to have my car launch hard without squealing the tires. Squealing the tires will get you noticed, but I just wanna get from A to B as quickly as possible without any wasted effort.

just my 2 cents worth

aloha
HI98GS aka Ricky
Old 08-15-01, 01:49 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks for the explanation Ricky!

So the LSD DOES help launch, in cases if you lose traction.
Old 08-15-01, 01:51 AM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

just one more note. If you are gonna power brake and launch you will notice that one tire will start spinning. If this occurs, as I mentioned earlier, you will look cool burning rubber but you aren't gonna win many races. If you power brake with an LSD, you will find it will take a little more effort to get the wheels to start burning rubber, remember this is due to the fact that you are sending all the transmitted power to both tires not just one.
Old 08-15-01, 06:36 AM
redjeeper
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

You guys are going to send me to the poor house with all of the cool stuff available for these cars. I am going to buy a GS400 as soon as we pay off the RX300 we just bought. The GS will cure my itch for a Vette.
Old 08-15-01, 10:21 AM
GSman
Pole Position

Thanks everyone for the useful feedback on the LSD. What's a good price on installation? It sounds like the TRD LSD is not just a bolt on but requires some piecing together.
Old 08-15-01, 10:36 AM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Originally posted by GSman

Thanks everyone for the useful feedback on the LSD. What's a good price on installation? It sounds like the TRD LSD is not just a bolt on but requires some piecing together.
As Jacob said, it takes 6 hours to install. I had mine done at a good dealership, because it's not a simple install, and I wouldn't trust just any speed shop. So estimate $500 to $600 depending on hourly rate.

PM DevilDog for a dealership recommendation in SoCal.
Old 08-23-01, 03:29 PM
GSman
Pole Position

QBRANCH and HI98GS

I was talking with the folks at TRD and they said there is a clicking noise everytime the LSD engages. Do you hear the "clicking" they are referring to? If so, how loud and is it noticeable in your everyday driving? Can you actually hear or feel the engaging everytime? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Last edited by GSman; 08-23-01 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-23-01, 07:32 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really hate that when I'm in the middle of a high speed turn and the 'ol one wheeler gets going,basically turning the car into a trike the instant the one tire breaks loose from the power,and then the other rear tire will let go because it's now the only tire in contact with the road.
Maybe when my automatic dies I'll get an LSD to go with the six-speed.
Old 08-23-01, 07:41 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Originally posted by GSman
QBRANCH and HI98GS

I was talking with the folks at TRD and they said there is a clicking noise everytime the LSD engages. Do you hear the "clicking" they are referring to? If so, how loud and is it noticeable in your everyday driving? Can you actually hear or feel the engaging everytime? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
I don't hear a click on the street nor on the track. My tech also put in diff additive at instl, so I'm not sure if that helped the sound.

Quick Reply: Anyone have the TRD LSD?