GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Who challenges you to race? (was "Does this happen...")

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-01, 12:46 PM
sleep_deprived
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

A bunch of people commented in a separate thread about being challenged to race by BMW drivers. This happens to me a lot, too, but it's not just limited to BMWs! Here's my list of race-challenge pet peeves :

1. Okay, BMWs, but more so w/ older, beat-up 3-series than more recent 3- or the 5-series. But they ALL tend to be highly hostile; maybe they are bitter that they didn't consider reliability in choosing a vehicle.

2. Acura TLs! What's their problem? Hello, like I'm going to waste my time racing a $29,000 vehicle in my $46,000 GS! Do they really know what they are up against?

3. Lexus ISs & ESs. This is sad--we are supposed to be a big, happy family. They should learn that from the LSs and RXs.

4. The Mercedes C-Series--like they almost have a chance.

Can I methion that drivers of Mercedes E-class and above tend to be extremely courteous in my opinion? We have a lot of E- and S-series owners here, but I have never had any unpleasant experiences with them.
Old 09-04-01, 07:11 PM
BBD
....BANNED! :-)

hahaha Nice Thread ,, AYe I get that A LOT more than I can handle to tell you the truth BMWS. E class C Class most Benze I should say ,,,

Here is what really gets me ,, CIVICS, COROLLAS and Accords that belong to some teens from high school you know ones with some spoilers and rims (the worst type) comming next to me reving their cars wanting to race ,,,

AHHHHH now 80% of the time I just lower my window flip them off I dont even bother that much with any car to race ....... 1 wast of time 2 there is no point
Old 09-05-01, 04:52 AM
Sleepyboi
Lead Lap

For some odd reason, i rarely get a BMW who wants to race me, but i always get these integras, civics, and accords. Everyone seems to think that just because i am young that i will want to race them...i figured after the first time that its just a waste of gas.

Boris
Old 09-05-01, 12:46 PM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Sleep_deprived, think again

Sleep_deprived,
Unfortunately, regardless of how much you spent on your GS (~$40,000), a sub-$30K Chevy Z28 will stomp all over you. Its not how much your car cost, its what kinda HP, weight, etc that matters in a race. As a matter of fact, the Ford Lightning p/u, Subaru WRX, and Mustang Cobra will all beat your GS, AND they all cost $10-20K less than your car.

I just wanted to make it clear that money doesn't make the car fast.

Cheers.
Old 09-05-01, 12:59 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Sleep_deprived, think again

Originally posted by PearlGS400
Sleep_deprived,
Unfortunately, regardless of how much you spent on your GS (~$40,000), a sub-$30K Chevy Z28 will stomp all over you. Its not how much your car cost, its what kinda HP, weight, etc that matters in a race. As a matter of fact, the Ford Lightning p/u, Subaru WRX, and Mustang Cobra will all beat your GS, AND they all cost $10-20K less than your car.

I just wanted to make it clear that money doesn't make the car fast.

Cheers.
PearlGS400,

You mean to tell me the Bentley is NOT one of the fastest cars on the road?

Brent
Old 09-05-01, 01:11 PM
DDLexus
Racer

Talking Hmmmm

Brent,
You got the idea..... Hope my previous post didn't sound too rude, just don't like it when people think that since you've got an expensive car, you're invincible. I've been smoked many times in cars I "thought" were fast. From experience, never race ANY motorcycles. Ninjas and Hurricanes left me with my tail between my legs.

Cheers.
Old 09-05-01, 01:19 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

I totally agree PearlGS400.

GS400 owners should face the reality that this car is not too fast and not too slow. Civics, Integras, and Preludes all have a shot at beating us. It's just a plain fact. If you want a fast car, buy a Supra Turbo, or a Corvette Z06, or a Viper, or a ZTT, or an RX7, or a Mustang Cobra, or a Camaro SS....

Brent
Old 09-05-01, 01:23 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with your statement on cost / quick, but I dunno about being smoked by a new subaru....maybe in the curves, but IMHO, not in a straight line / signal light dash

I have nothig to go on, just curious....

What is the 0-60 for a new Subaru?

Later
Old 09-05-01, 01:31 PM
DDLexus
Racer

Default Subaru Impreza WRX 0-60

The WRX is quick. According to Car and Driver, the 0-60 time is 5.8 seconds. The ads that Subaru put out say 0-60 in Six seconds. Its a close race to 60mph. Quarter mile in 14.7sec. Automoblie Magazine quoted the GS400 as getting the 0-60 done in 6.0.

The cost of this car is $24,420. Just to prove the point above in my original response.
Old 09-05-01, 02:44 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Oh sure, that's fine; I don't want to turn this into a pissing contest on 0-60 times, esp. with Subaru.

I follow your point.

And Brent...you sound like you're willing to lay down to just about any car dude! Surely, you're talking about a FI version, which of course, anything lighter, and with FI will walk away from us, but give the GS some credit

I consider my car 'fast' Heck I consider any car in the 6 or sub 6 area fast; it's all relative, but 6 and sub 6, IMHO, is fast to the genreal population of cars we encounter most days, right?

It's all good really, but this is digressing fromt he point of the thread - JFTR, I agree with you guys about the cost / quick analogy...

Old 09-05-01, 02:45 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Subaru Impreza WRX 0-60

Originally posted by PearlGS400
The WRX is quick. According to Car and Driver, the 0-60 time is 5.8 seconds. The ads that Subaru put out say 0-60 in Six seconds. Its a close race to 60mph. Quarter mile in 14.7sec. Automoblie Magazine quoted the GS400 as getting the 0-60 done in 6.0.

The cost of this car is $24,420. Just to prove the point above in my original response.
The WRX is just begging for mods...The STi version in Japan yields 280HP limited meaning it is quite capable of many more HP.

Figure intake, ECU, and Exhaust, along with a Boost Controller the stock WRX is good for low 5's and high 13's.

HKS already has an entirely modded version of the stock US WRX complete with upgraded turbos. With AWD it can go Porsche hunting...Once again BE PREPARED to be smoked by a lot of cars in our GS400's...It's really not that fast in stock trim. It just goes to show you how the competition just gets better and better. Less expensive cars are reaching that high performance level. If only the Lancer Evo IV came to the US...

Brent
Old 09-05-01, 02:50 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Dexter
Oh sure, that's fine; I don't want to turn this into a pissing contest on 0-60 times, esp. with Subaru.

I follow your point.

And Brent...you sound like you're willing to lay down to just about any car dude! Surely, you're talking about a FI version, which of course, anything lighter, and with FI will walk away from us, but give the GS some credit

I consider my car 'fast' Heck I consider any car in the 6 or sub 6 area fast; it's all relative, but 6 and sub 6, IMHO, is fast to the genreal population of cars we encounter most days, right?

It's all good really, but this is digressing fromt he point of the thread - JFTR, I agree with you guys about the cost / quick analogy...

Yeah Dexter you are right about a 6 Second or sub 6 sec car being fast especially considering the size and weight of the GS400. But a lot of these posts seem to bring out the perception that the GS400 is untouchable and should not lose when in fact, there are a ton of cars that cost less that will smoke a GS400. I just want to provide a dose of reality...and the reality is a 6 sec or sub 6 sec car in performance envelope is now consdered average in speed.

Brent

Last edited by BLiu; 09-05-01 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-05-01, 03:01 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Brent,

I follow what you're sayin.

It just depends on how much you want to spend to keep up with the Joneses

I know my GS4 will continue to do nothing BUT get faster , so I'm not too worried about a tricked out civic beating me, honestly, I'm never really in too many environments where they hang out, so it's not an issue.

To each their own, y'know? I base my 'fast' terminology on other cars I've owned, and what my car is clocking now versus what it will be after my next mod....

I mentioned this thought in the SS threads, but, there will alaways be a 'faster' car, whether its a civic, or a Lambo; I could really care less; those cars, at least as far as I'm concerned, are a small percentage of the population I will be up against when the hammer drops.

BTW, I love your car.

Old 09-05-01, 03:06 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Dexter
Brent,

I follow what you're sayin.

It just depends on how much you want to spend to keep up with the Joneses

I know my GS4 will continue to do nothing BUT get faster , so I'm not too worried about a tricked out civic beating me, honestly, I'm never really in too many environments where they hang out, so it's not an issue.

To each their own, y'know? I base my 'fast' terminology on other cars I've owned, and what my car is clocking now versus what it will be after my next mod....

I mentioned this thought in the SS threads, but, there will alaways be a 'faster' car, whether its a civic, or a Lambo; I could really care less; those cars, at least as far as I'm concerned, are a small percentage of the population I will be up against when the hammer drops.

BTW, I love your car.

Thank you for the compliment Dexter...

I am totally like you. I am in the process of making this GS faster. Hopefully, by the time I am done, it will be a low 5sec car. Speed and style - what a great combination. Pretty realistic I guess. To get in the 4's will take some forced induction...More to come.

Brent
Old 09-05-01, 03:10 PM
DDLexus
Racer

Thumbs up Cheers Brent

You are right on Brent! I am glad some of us on this message board are realist. Comments like: "I not gonna race a guy at a stoplight because his car is only worth $30,000" is ignorant.

Point was proven. Thread is DEAD....

Quick Reply: Who challenges you to race? (was "Does this happen...")