GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Can I configure my navigation system to allow programming while the car is in motion?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-01 | 09:56 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Question

The main (only?) thing that frustrates me on the GS430's navigation system is that I'm so limited in my ability to program it while I'm driving. Actually, let me rephrase: I'd like for the passenger in my car to be able to program it while the car is being driven. This is extremely handy when you're on a long drive and want to identify the restaurants ahead or you're driving around and decide you want to find a particular place without pulling over.

My Acura 3.2TL's navigation system allowed this, and both are derived from the Alpine system, so I imagine there's some bit somewhere that can be twiddled to allow it.

So I know that I can have some reasonable range of settings tweaked at the dealer including door locks, etc. Is this a setting that the dealer can switch for me? Does anyone know?

Thanks,
Scott
Old 03-02-01 | 10:10 AM
joedoe101

Talking

I don't think that Lexus DVD based navigation system derived from Alpine system
Old 03-02-01 | 01:11 PM
Prost
Rookie

Lightbulb One solution for the old (98-00) system

I remember someone on this board couple years ago saying that you can remove a red/white wire from the Nav. hard-drive to disable the ability for the speed sensor to sense that your vehicle is moving. I did that and it's working, all the functions that cannot be used before while the vehicle is moving can be able to access, like you can input a new address while the vehicle is in motion. However, after you input the new address, the system will not be able to detect your location since it "think" that your car is not moving. The map will show you the highlight route, but it will never guide you though. Therefore, I went back and reconnect the wire and everything went back to default.

I think I will try something in the near future to see weather it will work or not. I will cut the red/white wire and run a wire that can lead to a switch near the driver's seat that we can turn OFF the switch (like disconnect the red/white wire) to input the new address and turn ON the switch (like reconnect the red/white wire) to allow the Nav. run like the normal procedure.

I wonder can I run a wire from the trunk to the front seat and hide all the wire or mess under the carpet? Anyone know any shop will do it professionally in Southern California area in reasonable price? May be I should do it myself instead paying $$$ to someone! Well, I am a Mechanical Engineer instead of Electrical Engineer, so.........

Any thought from other smart guys and gals
Old 03-04-01 | 04:51 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Default Lexus nav from Alpine

According to this, most of the auto nav systems are derived from Alpine's equipment:

http://www.carnav.com/middle_frame_whyalpine.html
Old 03-04-01 | 05:12 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Lexus nav from Alpine

Originally posted by SCWells72
According to this, most of the auto nav systems are derived from Alpine's equipment:

http://www.carnav.com/middle_frame_whyalpine.html
Yeah. Lexus used to use DENSO SYSTEM for the harddrive based NAV system. Now after switching to DVD, it's based on ALPINE now.