GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

question about strut tops

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-06, 01:06 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default question about strut tops

I've done a lot of searching on this topic, but can't find a definitive answer. The question is simple. As a general rule, is it standard practice to replace the strut tops at the same time you replace your shock absorbers? Are strut tops a wear item? Do they wear out at the same rate as the shocks themselves? Has anyone out there replaced their shocks without replacing the strut tops?

e
Old 02-04-06, 04:33 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 250 Posts

When buying L-Tuned shocks and springs (which you can no longer do; nyah nyah), you receive only shocks and springs, so you must reuse the 'strut tops'.
The included instructions direct you to do so.
Old 02-04-06, 05:28 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rubber bushings on the strut mounts should be fine.
Old 02-05-06, 01:47 AM
nicola
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the L-Tuned s/s combo and didn't replace the strut mounts. I am now getting a clanking sound 3k miles later from both sides and wish I did...
Old 02-06-06, 03:05 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

big pics
Old 02-06-06, 03:50 PM
IAGS400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice. So what part is defined as a strut top?

Suspension support sub-assembly
spring bumper
Old 02-06-06, 04:15 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The top hats will last forever. They dont take the abuse that the shocks/struts do.
Old 02-06-06, 04:32 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the only way i can see the strut tops / top hats making clanking sounds is if the bolts on them are loose and freely moving around horizontally, which is very unlikely. how else can they make clanks? unless they weren't properly bolted onto the body, then going up and down bumps will make them hit the chassis.

my car has 126k miles, original tops, original rubber spring bumper, no clanks, and using with bilstein HD shocks.
Old 02-06-06, 05:06 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IAGS400
Nice. So what part is defined as a strut top?

Suspension support sub-assembly
spring bumper
The strut top is the suspension support sub-assembly. I requested a quote from Sewell Lexus today for the strut tops and the part in the quote is identified as the suspension support sub-assembly.

It looks like there are many schools of thought on replacing the strut tops. Some say always replace them when you replace the shocks. Others say there's no need to. And then some say that you only need to replace the front strut tops because the rear ones experience very little if any wear.

By the way, Chuck, thanks for taking the time to post pix of the service manual. That's really helpful.

e
Old 02-06-06, 06:06 PM
IAGS400
Pole Position

Isn't this a solid piece of metal and no moving parts. I haven't taken one of these apart and can't imagine they could be worn. Now the spring bumper looks to be made of plasic/rubber so I can understand that being replaced.

Experts please pipe up and tell me I am wrong.
Old 02-06-06, 06:18 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Isn't this a solid piece of metal and no moving parts. I haven't taken one of these apart and can't imagine they could be worn. Now the spring bumper looks to be made of plasic/rubber so I can understand that being replaced.

Experts please pipe up and tell me I am wrong.
Well, if you look at the diagram for the front struts, it shows a spring support (that is part of the overall support subassembly) that is not reusable. Maybe that's why you can't reuse them.
Old 02-06-06, 06:31 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

the cushions and spring bumpers are rubber. that is what can wear. I wonder if you can get just those parts instead of the whole top assembly?

e-I also happen to have my stock shock assemblies out in my garage if you want actual pics let me know.

btw-I believe the non reusable part is just the top nut e.

Last edited by chuckb; 02-06-06 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-06-06, 07:04 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chuckb
the cushions and spring bumpers are rubber. that is what can wear. I wonder if you can get just those parts instead of the whole top assembly?

e-I also happen to have my stock shock assemblies out in my garage if you want actual pics let me know.

Hmm, not that I'm trying to complicate things here, but that's a really good question. Are there part numbers for the cushions, supports and bumpers? I'm guessing not, and you have to buy the whole subassembly, but maybe. I don't mind spending $64 for each front subassembly, but the rears are $100 a piece, and for something that's not supposed to wear that much, that seems pretty excessive, don't you think?
Old 02-06-06, 07:14 PM
IAGS400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chuckb

If they are assembled sure. If they are disassembled PLEASE take pictures.
Old 02-06-06, 07:26 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by e-man
Hmm, not that I'm trying to complicate things here, but that's a really good question. Are there part numbers for the cushions, supports and bumpers? I'm guessing not, and you have to buy the whole subassembly, but maybe. I don't mind spending $64 for each front subassembly, but the rears are $100 a piece, and for something that's not supposed to wear that much, that seems pretty excessive, don't you think?
I would think the tech can tell when he takes apart the old shocks, if the rubber parts are worn or not. maybe you should buy them and only use them if the old ones are bad.

If they are assembled sure. If they are disassembled PLEASE take pictures.
they are removed from car, but still assembled.

Quick Reply: question about strut tops