GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Finally took the plunge to synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-06, 02:07 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It would make logical sense to do a flush before adding synthetic
Old 02-05-06, 05:29 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

well so far so good. the car feels smoother and idling seems to be a bit smoother (might be my own imagination). pickup is a bit quicker as well. so far, no leaks. car feels great.

before i switched to synthetic yesterday, i put seafoam in my engine oil and let it run for about 15 mins before i drained it and filled up with synthetic.
Old 02-05-06, 09:22 PM
AUGuy21
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Engine light

Yep, they do. Check your manual. I'm on vacation so I can't go look to tell you exactly which cluster it's on. But, it comes on when you're oil level drops below a certain level....

QUOTE=e-man]We have oil lights on our cars? I've never seen it. When does it come on? What does it mean?[/QUOTE]
Old 02-05-06, 09:41 PM
suge66
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
It would make logical sense to do a flush before adding synthetic
So how do u recommend someone do this and what brand to use? or let a shop do it?
Old 02-06-06, 05:22 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by suge66
So how do u recommend someone do this and what brand to use? or let a shop do it?
Proffesionally done via this process with the Bilstein machine http://www.redwoodgeneral.com/flush.htm Can get it done at your local Jiffy Lube.
Old 02-06-06, 05:25 AM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by AUGuy21
Yep, they do. Check your manual. I'm on vacation so I can't go look to tell you exactly which cluster it's on. But, it comes on when you're oil level drops below a certain level....

QUOTE=e-man]We have oil lights on our cars? I've never seen it. When does it come on? What does it mean?
[/QUOTE]

Oh, I thought the light went off (or, I guess I should say on) when you needed an oil change. So, unless your car is leaking or burning oil, the light really shouldn't come on.
Old 02-06-06, 04:04 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

does anyone know how much oil GS300 uses?
4L?
Old 02-06-06, 04:33 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

i believe close to 6 bottles.
Old 02-06-06, 07:03 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AUGuy21

Originally Posted by e-man
We have oil lights on our cars? I've never seen it. When does it come on? What does it mean?
Aren't you talking about the oil "idiot light" that comes on when your oil PRESSURE drops way below normal? Even if Lexus also monitors the level, that light should NEVER come on. If it comes on every oil change for you it probably indicates a more serious problem, like leaky seals, etc.
Old 02-06-06, 07:10 PM
SRK
Driver

If you are truly concerned about synthetics, and Mobil 1 in particular, go to their website. All of the dogma and misinformation and myth is dispelled there.
Every board I post on has a thread on synthetics, and on every single synthetic thread there is always an Amsoil guy who pipes up about how it is better than Mobil 1. I don't like Amway and I won't use Amsoil.
Mobil is owned by the biggest company on the planet, and their R&D is unmatched in the industry.
Old 02-06-06, 07:20 PM
suge66
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Proffesionally done via this process with the Bilstein machine http://www.redwoodgeneral.com/flush.htm Can get it done at your local Jiffy Lube.
How much does this cost, and how long does it take to do?
Old 02-06-06, 07:35 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SRK
If you are truly concerned about synthetics, and Mobil 1 in particular, go to their website. All of the dogma and misinformation and myth is dispelled there.
Every board I post on has a thread on synthetics, and on every single synthetic thread there is always an Amsoil guy who pipes up about how it is better than Mobil 1. I don't like Amway and I won't use Amsoil.
Mobil is owned by the biggest company on the planet, and their R&D is unmatched in the industry.

I use Both Mobil 1 and amsoil. The time when i use mobil 1 is when i'm unable to get amsoil shipped in time or too lazy to order.

Both are good oil but mobil 1 just burns up too quickly for me. Amsoil doesnt really burn up for me. I dunno if it's because i'm boosted or not but i prefer amsoil. I guess i'm one of those guys who pipes up about amsoil huh?

Who cares of u dont like amway (was it because they suckered you back then?) Why do people compare amway and amsoil just because they sound the same?
You should atleast try a product before you give any negative feedback about it.
Old 02-07-06, 05:30 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SRK
Amsoil invented the synthetic oil Mobil 1 and Amsoil are quite different. Amsoil does stay cleaner longer due to the higher concentration of detergents and other additives in its make-up. As the old adage goes, you get what you pay for. You will not find Amsoil off the shelf like Mobil 1due to its exclusivity. I will stick with Amsoil.

Last edited by DASHOCKER; 02-07-06 at 05:33 AM.
Old 02-07-06, 06:56 AM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

this is what i read about amsoil:

Amsoil actually makes some very good products. The negative image of Amsoil is due to their distribution method (MLM) and their marketing approach. If Amsoil products were competitively priced with Mobil 1 and other synthetics, and if I could buy them in a store, I would not hesitate to use their XL-7500 synthetic as opposed to Mobil 1. What upsets me about Amsoil is that they didn't disclose until recently (and then it was by accident) the real reason that their oils (except for XL-7500) are not API certified. In the past they came up with all sorts of bizarre excuses about the reason for their lack of API certification and this greatly contributed to the distrust that people have of the company.
this is the site where i got this information:

http://www.nordicgroup.us/oil.htm

so could this be the reason why amsoil is not sold in regular auto parts stores such as pepboys, kragen due to the fact that their oil is not api certified? kinda makes me think twice about putting it in my motor if it is not certified. however, many here swear by it so it must be a good product even though it is not API certified.
Old 02-07-06, 07:22 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSquicksilver

this is the site where i got this information:

http://www.nordicgroup.us/oil.htm

so could this be the reason why amsoil is not sold in regular auto parts stores such as pepboys, kragen due to the fact that their oil is not api certified? kinda makes me think twice about putting it in my motor if it is not certified. however, many here swear by it so it must be a good product even though it is not API certified.
Do your research on Amsoil and you will become a believer. Don't be turned off by a lack of a stamp on the bottle. When you buy a auto battery for your car for example, some of them say approved by Nascar, and some don't. Optima batteries do not have that Nascar seal on their batteries. Does it mean that there batteries are no good? Don't believe the nonsense. No one here that has Amsoil reported any problems. All positives. Even the BMW guys in the bimmer forums use Amsoil, and Amsoil sponsor for that forum. CLUBLEXUS is 100 time better though

Quick Reply: Finally took the plunge to synthetic oil