GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Finally took the plunge to synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-06, 04:29 PM
SRK
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amsoil did not invent synthetic oil. The first synthetics were developed for gas turbine and turbojet engines in the mid 1940's by the company that became Exxon/Mobil.
Oils that stay cleaner longer have LESS detergent. The point is that the oil picks up the contaminents and holds them in suspension until the next change. In the old days - 1950's - oil came out of the engine nearly as clean as it went in. The sludge got left in the engine.
If one uses an oil that is not API certified the car's warranty is ended, at that moment. Not in a week, or a day or a month - at that moment. That sticker is one of the most important qualifications an oil can have, and any company that opts to not provide their oil to the API (cost and the inability to pass are the most frequent real reasons) doens't deserve to lubricate a lawnmower.
The newest qualifications for engine oils will be ILSAC - "International Lubrication and Standardization Advisory Committee" which is now at GF-4 service classification, equivalent to the API SM. I won't use an oil that doesn't have those qualifications. Those qualifications are based on science, technology, research, and testing, and not on "belief". Belief is for Sunday morning.
Old 02-07-06, 05:12 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

In 1972 AMSOIL developed the first synthetic motor oil in the world to meet American Petroleum Institute service requirements. Currently, the AMSOIL product line includes the finest quality synthetic motor oils, synthetic diesel oils, gear lubes, synthetic greases, industrial lubricants, oil filters, air filters and automotive performance products.

The Company of Firsts
AMSOIL has a documented history of innovation and leadership.

# First to introduce the concept of "extended drain intervals" with a recommended 25,000 mile/1year drain interval.
# First to develop an API-rated 100 percent synthetic motor oil.
# First U.S. company to utilize the NOACK volatility test as a standard of performance excellence.
# First to produce synthetic motor oils for diesel engines, racing engines, turbo and marine engines.
# First to introduce synthetic oils that legitimately contribute to improving fuel efficiency.
# First to manufacture synthetic gear lube for automotive use.
# First to manufacture a 100:1 pre-mix synthetic 2-cycle oil.
# First to manufacture a synthetic automatic transmission fluid for automotive use.
Old 02-07-06, 05:27 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what's that stamp under the amsoil logo then?
Attached Thumbnails Finally took the plunge to synthetic oil-atm_qt_300pxh.jpg  
Old 02-07-06, 06:21 PM
SRK
Driver

That stamp is a spurious label concocted by Amsoil, attempting to claim a service qualification not issued by the API. The real API "donut" or "starburst" must contain the information in a specific manner, and that symbol may only be used by oil manufacturers that have had their oils approved by the API. The stamp in the photo does not conform, and is not recognized by the API. If Amsoil were to use the actual starburst they would quickly find out that the API's lawyers are bigger than their lawyers.
Another Amsoil deception.

Here is the link to the API site describing their approved labelling process.

http://api-ep.api.org/industry/index...07007000000000
Old 02-07-06, 07:09 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This is a very interesting thread. There have been many in the past regarding oils, and synthetics. So, while keeping it to the facts and not getting mean, who WAS the first to actually develop synthetic oil?
Old 02-07-06, 07:26 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, from the readings above, seems like exxon/mobil was the first to produce in the 1940's

BUT..
30 years later (1970)
Amsoil was the First to develop an API-rated 100 percent synthetic motor oil.
Old 02-07-06, 07:40 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Amsoil was talked about on the History Channel in a documentary called "Lube Job"
AMSOIL President and Founder A.J. Amatuzio was recognized for his achievements in the development of synthetic motor oil. During a segment of the show Modern Marvels, Lt. Col. Amatuzio (founder) was credited for his pioneer work and the development of his “history making oil.” The segment highlighted part of the rationale behind the oil`s development and featured footage from AMSOIL In that documentary, it was mentioned that Amsoil invented the synthetic oil for automobiles. Food for thought here.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amsoil
http://www.technilube.com/sections/mags/lube.htm
Old 02-08-06, 08:28 AM
Vette Boy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SRK
That stamp is a spurious label concocted by Amsoil, attempting to claim a service qualification not issued by the API....
If this is true, IMHO, Amsoil is acting in a dishonest way that makes me wonder if they are dishonest in their other claims.
Old 02-08-06, 06:17 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vette Boy
If this is true, IMHO, Amsoil is acting in a dishonest way that makes me wonder if they are dishonest in their other claims.
I don't think Amsoil will jeopardize their reputation on some bull crap API seal.
Old 02-08-06, 07:00 PM
samster
Pole Position

poo ppoo bout the API seals. Who cares aslong as it synthetic its the only way to go. I change my oil before 3grand most the times, but some time i run till like 6k miles and oil comes out CLEAN consderin the way i drive. When im using reg convential oil at 2k its comes out like poop. DIrtier then the oil from the frier at Mc D's -=P

yeps leaks are because of poor seals and the sythetic is thin enough to wash out and leak
if you leakin then you need to order some seals and get to work~ not because of the oil

synthetic is synthetic i preffer mobile one cause i can find it everywhere, but i would trust the amsoil also heard alot of good things bout it cept the fact of hard to get ur hands on.

but what do you guys use in your trannys? I wanted to try royal purple? i believe it was? thats what all the auto guys on supra forum uses. I only use gear oil so not sure what i should put in the Gs's tranny?
Old 02-08-06, 08:09 PM
SRK
Driver

Without an API or ILSAC approval, Amsoil has no reputation. Independant testing is the consumers only protection.
Samster are you claiming an oil is better because it is cleaner when drained used? Have you read all the posts in this thread? Do you understand what detergent/dispersant properties mean?
Old 02-09-06, 05:30 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SRK
Without an API or ILSAC approval, Amsoil has no reputation. Independant testing is the consumers only protection.
Samster are you claiming an oil is better because it is cleaner when drained used? Have you read all the posts in this thread? Do you understand what detergent/dispersant properties mean?
I checked the Amsoil bottle and it does indeed have the starburst symbol The pic of the bottle on here is old. So SRK, it is indeed API approved. I will se if I can get a pick of the new bottle
Old 02-09-06, 05:37 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by samster
poo ppoo bout the API seals. Who cares aslong as it synthetic its the only way to go. I change my oil before 3grand most the times, but some time i run till like 6k miles and oil comes out CLEAN consderin the way i drive. When im using reg convential oil at 2k its comes out like poop. DIrtier then the oil from the frier at Mc D's -=P

yeps leaks are because of poor seals and the sythetic is thin enough to wash out and leak
if you leakin then you need to order some seals and get to work~ not because of the oil

synthetic is synthetic i preffer mobile one cause i can find it everywhere, but i would trust the amsoil also heard alot of good things bout it cept the fact of hard to get ur hands on.

but what do you guys use in your trannys? I wanted to try royal purple? i believe it was? thats what all the auto guys on supra forum uses. I only use gear oil so not sure what i should put in the Gs's tranny?
Don't use Royal Purple for the tranny if your car requires Type IV trany fluid. Amsoil has the synthetic equivalent to the Toyota TypeIV tranny fluid, and it out performs it by a mile. I have it in my tranny now, and the car is so much smoother, shifts are not as noticeable, and it stays cleaner longer. Here is the info http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx?zo=1232857
Old 02-09-06, 05:42 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Default Api Approved !

Here is the bottle.
Attached Thumbnails Finally took the plunge to synthetic oil-xlf_qt_300pxh.jpg  
Old 02-09-06, 05:54 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by samster
I'm not knocking or promoting synthetics, but this statement makes me think. Where is the dirt and grime that the conventional oil took out and the synthetic did not? Are you using a 5 micron filter and stopping everything at the filter?

Quick Reply: Finally took the plunge to synthetic oil