GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I got Sludge for Christmas

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-06, 06:49 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I got Sludge for Christmas

Well not really but I I'm trying to make the best out of a bad situation. So anyway, went and had my oil changed at the dealer before Christmas and he told me that I had a build up of sludge in the engine. I'm guessing the previous owner is an idiot and

Anyway, a friend of mine is a mechanic and usually does my oil changes, so last night we did the oil change and substituted two quarts of tranny oil to go with 4 quarts of regular oil. We put a light down the neck of the oil cover and yeah it's not pretty in there. Has anyone else tried this 'treatment'? We are going to change the oil again tomorrow. How much 'soft slude' does an engine flush remove?

My friend said I'd probably need about two or three 'treatments' at monthly intervals.

Any opinions would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails I got Sludge for Christmas-430.jpg  
Old 02-07-06, 06:56 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quite a few shops now offer a complete engine flush, through some kind of machine. I personnaly haven't had the need to use this service but I've heard it does a great job. Up here the cost is about $80, IMO well worth it to get your engine clean without the hassle of all of the oil changes.
Old 02-07-06, 07:06 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Come to my Amsoil meet. My guy has the Bilsetin Machine. If you don't want to use Amsoil, he has otherbrands that will be less expensive. If you look through neck of my engine, it is sludge free and looks like the engine was just assembled. The Bilstein machine does an excellent job buddy. Tranny fluid in the Engine ? What is your mechanic doing?
Old 02-07-06, 07:15 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

If you don't want to use Amsoil, he has otherbrands that will be less expensive

Sean the cost isn't really the issue, $80-100 bucks now is nothing compared to $4000 grand if this silver biotch locks up on me and has to be replaced. I guess the point of my post is mainly for people who have had sludge and the most effective ways to reduce or remove the gunk.

Right now the car runs fine except for mileage in the city (13mpg - 23mpg hwy) and gets up to 150 with no problem at all.

I've heard the transmission fluid 'solution' before so it wasn't that far out when he told me about it. I've also heard coolant used before.
Old 02-07-06, 07:38 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Sean the cost isn't really the issue, $80-100 bucks now is nothing compared to $4000 grand if this silver biotch locks up on me and has to be replaced. I guess the point of my post is mainly for people who have had sludge and the most effective ways to reduce or remove the gunk.

Right now the car runs fine except for mileage in the city (13mpg - 23mpg hwy) and gets up to 150 with no problem at all.

I've heard the transmission fluid 'solution' before so it wasn't that far out when he told me about it. I've also heard coolant used before.
The bilsten machine is done with the Engine off, and there is a petroleum distillate solution that is added to the machine which is used to dissolve the built up sludge. Its pretty safe, but I can understand the concern for your baby. Guys chime in!
Old 02-07-06, 08:34 AM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

I would recommend using Auto-rx. Fallow the instructions "For Engines with Heavy Sludge"
Old 02-07-06, 08:43 AM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Seafoam
Old 02-07-06, 11:37 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the input from everyone who responded, I'm going to see what the tranny fluid treatment makes it look like tomorrow when I change the oil again, most likely I'll be looking for a Biltstein machine within the week.
Old 02-07-06, 01:13 PM
redjeeper
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If I were you, I would NOT let someone power flush my engine. I let one of the tune up shops do a flush on mu old Jeep a few years ago and it immediately started smoking. The solvent that these machines use is very bad for all of the rubber seals in the motor. It will more than likely cause you to need valve seals in the near future. Take my advice, don't do it.
Old 02-07-06, 04:19 PM
SRK
Driver

Get the transmission fluid out of the engine! That idea is an old myth that refuses to die. Just use a quality oil and filter and change it frequently. If that doesn't do it, buy a new or good used engine. Stay away from additives or the "power flush" deals.
Old 02-07-06, 05:02 PM
salimshah

Received 1,076 Likes on 968 Posts

The flush dislodges stuff and it travels. The problems is with the particles which do not come out and get lodged in crevices and small channels causing blockages. Similar things happen in human body and at times it is better not to pursue agressively to dislodge the offending particles.

Salim
Old 02-07-06, 07:52 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by salimshah
The flush dislodges stuff and it travels. The problems is with the particles which do not come out and get lodged in crevices and small channels causing blockages. Similar things happen in human body and at times it is better not to pursue agressively to dislodge the offending particles.

Salim
Have you utilized the Bilstein process? There are some crappy machines out there that are used by shady garages that don't do the job right.
Old 02-07-06, 09:50 PM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

What are the symptoms of sludge in the engine !?
Old 02-07-06, 10:07 PM
house66
Rookie

Default Worked for me

Oddly enough I used the tranny fluid treatment in the past with good results. Now with that said I would suggest you step up the frequency of your oil/filter changes. Keep in mind this was on a small block Chevy and about 20 years ago but it did work. Best of luck to you and I know that I would do this with my GS430, just be careful, check you oil often and don't run the car to hard while you are doing it.

Cheers!
Old 02-07-06, 11:39 PM
salimshah

Received 1,076 Likes on 968 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Have you utilized the Bilstein process? There are some crappy machines out there that are used by shady garages that don't do the job right.
No and dont intend to. Seems you are convinced. Good for you!

Salim

Quick Reply: I got Sludge for Christmas