GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What tint % can you suggest?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-06, 08:43 PM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What tint % can you suggest?

Hey guys well i'll be getting some tint soon and need some opinions on %. Im not doing it for the sun protection at all AKA I live in Seattle. It will be an added advantage though. I dont want to go completely black but I want it to be hard for people to see whos in the car. What % do you think is right for me?

Thanks a lot for the help,
Elliott
Old 02-07-06, 08:47 PM
JAXLS460
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't like the tint too dark myself, but if don't want anybody to see in the car do 20% or less. Do you have tint laws in your state?
Old 02-07-06, 09:20 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, ive got 20% on mine...its kind of your call. with 20%, it looks nice and dark on normal days, but if its real sunny, you can still see in the car...it also depends on the color of your interior...my interior is tan...my bros is dark green on his 300...we have identical tint from the same installer, and you can almost never see inside his car..whereas with mine you can sometimes...if your looking for privacy id say to go with a good tint like SUNGUARD or..well i cant remember the other names, but legit installers wont use bad stuff..and go with like 15% if they have that available if you want slightly darker or have light interior...just DONT get anything you can pick up at your local autozone and try to do it yourself lol.... 5% is commonly referred to as "limo" this stuff does the trick for privacy...but can also decrease your vision out your back window quite a bit at night when youre trying to back up, so you gotta watch that and decide whether or not youre going to mind dealing with that issue..... ive owned cars with 5%, 2 layers of 5%, a car with 5% and mirror behind it lol, and now the gs with just 20% and im very happy with it...it makes the car look classy, adds privacy, but doesnt completely blackout the windows.
Old 02-07-06, 10:10 PM
SC400_2nV
Driver

What color is your GS? I think the darker tint looks good on darker colors while a lighter tint looks good on a lighter colored car. I went with limo & limo brow but thats my taste & most people wouldnt go that route, but I love it & I havent backed into the trashcans yet so Im doing good.
Old 02-07-06, 10:14 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

in my state, the lowest legal % is 15, so i'm gonna do that, in flat black since my car is black with tan interior.. plus there are people here that have tried limo tint but cops here will give you a razor and make you take off the tint lol.. but definately what's said above... darker tints for darker cars, lighter tint for lighter colored cars.. i don't know where you're plannin' to go to, but where i'm goin' through they allow me to get samples before i actually get tint put on.. so you might ask if that's possible? good luck!!
Old 02-07-06, 11:24 PM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if you have black interior then go with 20 cause it will give the effect that the tint is darker then it really is....i went with 35% and 70% on the windsheild..
Old 02-07-06, 11:40 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tuddy
if you have black interior then go with 20 cause it will give the effect that the tint is darker then it really is....i went with 35% and 70% on the windsheild..

tuddy, im obviously in NY too...did you actually tint your WHOLE windshield? i was considering this...i have 20% all around... but i thought it was really going to look sort of dumb with all the registration and inspection stuff in the window...im worried that when it comes time to replace these, if they are not taken off just so, that the tint will get completely screwed up and have to be redone...
Old 02-07-06, 11:49 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have 35% and 5% on my rears

and 35% and 15% on my front.

Yes i doubled up on my tint and it came out perfect. my rear is beyond limo and its great.
Old 02-08-06, 02:29 AM
aliti19
Lexus Test Driver

I guess it depends the most on what is legal in WA. There is no tint whatsoever allowed on the front windows here in IL . So I don't get hassled too much, i have 20% on the rear and 35% up the sides. It's clean and allows some light in as well.
Old 02-08-06, 04:02 AM
GS3T
Lead Lap

20% or less if you don't want people to really be able to see in. i have 15% all around. i really want to do my windshield but don't know how it will look.
Old 02-08-06, 04:34 AM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by upstateGS4
tuddy, im obviously in NY too...did you actually tint your WHOLE windshield? i was considering this...i have 20% all around... but i thought it was really going to look sort of dumb with all the registration and inspection stuff in the window...im worried that when it comes time to replace these, if they are not taken off just so, that the tint will get completely screwed up and have to be redone...

the place that installed the tint lamanated my regisration and inpection cards...and yea i got the whole windsheild done... you cant even tell really from inside the car but i hated how it looked from the outside it didnt balance out ya kno...
Old 02-08-06, 06:31 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Go with 35% if you have a black interior,. Could get away with 20% with a tan interior.
Old 02-08-06, 06:46 AM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'd go with 20% if you have a light interior. i have black on black and i have 35% so it already looks dark but i will be replacing mine because people can still see me during the day.
Old 02-08-06, 03:25 PM
SC400_2nV
Driver

just to give you an idea, the limo & brow. Its illegal here too, but the only time Ive ever gotten hassled was when I was pulled over and left the windows up when he was walking to the car. I now kinda wish I did the front too but Id be afraid I couldnt see potholes at night..

Old 02-08-06, 04:04 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

i got 20% all around solarguard is the brand, nice and comfty for those hot days in the south. also keep in mind oem windows have tint inside the glass...

end results after inspection:

12% front windows
11% rear windows

oooooh... dark tint is good for checking out the hot chick in the car next to you hehe

Quick Reply: What tint % can you suggest?