GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I Have A Gs300 Should I Race A Honda S2000

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-01, 09:22 PM
Gs400TRD
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

chances=dead meat.
get a TT conversion

I really love that Car. Depending on how the market does next year, I will try to get an s2k next year...unless the ridiculously high prices on the 97, 98 Supra TT's come down.
Old 08-16-01, 09:53 PM
12E

....what can i do to my lexus to get it up to the s2000's level...

SELL IT!!!
then use the money and buy another car...

buy a 2nd Civic Hatchback...replace it with a Type R engine...plus a few mods...there 0-60 under 5!!!

with the spare change you can buy those neon glow sticks and tape it all over the car...
Old 08-16-01, 11:19 PM
GhoSStRyda
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, correct me if im wrong, isn't the GS3's engine the same as the sc300 and NA supra's?? if so, then i thiink the tt conversion would put it near the s2000?? (don't jump all over me, this is just speculations)
Old 08-16-01, 11:58 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by GhoSStRyda
ok, correct me if im wrong, isn't the GS3's engine the same as the sc300 and NA supra's?? if so, then i thiink the tt conversion would put it near the s2000?? (don't jump all over me, this is just speculations)
adding turbos (or just 1) to this 2JZ-GE would KILL a S2000. That's with just a basic turbo add-on too. Imagine modding the 2JZ, turboed.

Keep in mind, SC300 = NA luxury Supra, IS300 = NA sport sedan Supra, GS300 = super luxury and comfort and 4 doors Supra.
Old 08-17-01, 02:48 AM
CJGS4
Rookie

Originally posted by biggie27
sasha you have to remember even the GS400 has a hard time with the S2000 if it was driven right 0-60 in 5.6 thats a pretty fast time, yes the GS400 is heavier but buy only 50lbs or so, so its not much of a diffrence so you need at least 280-300 hp to keep up with the S2000
ARE YOU GUYS ON CRACK??????????
The GS400/300 are both over 800-1000 pounds more than an S2000... The GS400 can barely keep up with an S2000.. The GS300 would just get whooped like a redheaded step-child. To get a GS300 up to the same speed as an S2000 you would need a TT conversion or a supercharger. For a GS400 to do it you need a SRT intake, a Torque Converter upgrade, and a borla exhauts to run side by side with an S2000.... Remember if you drive an S2000 correctly you can get 0-60's in the 5.0-5.5 second range...

-Chris Y.
Old 08-17-01, 03:12 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

I don't understand why SO many people think that a exhaust and intake (cold air or otherwise) on a NA engine is going to make a difference. It's NOT. Depending on how it's done, you can even LOOSE performance (no back pressure doesn't help you get off the line) A S-AFC or a Piggy-Back ECU may help, but it's not EVER going to bring a GS300 to the performance level of a GS400 or a S2000...

Plus, a lot of people never take into account the WEIGHT of a car. The reason why there are so many fast Civics and Integras out there is because they're LIGHT. The GS is a LEAD SLED. To compensate, you need A LOT (yes, "A LOT" is two words, not one!) HP and torque.

You want some sick numbers? A bone stock Suzuki GSXR-1000 with "just" 145 HP (RW) can turn in a 9.96 second quarter mile (149 MPH) and do a 0-60 in 2.8 seconds. It's all about the power/weight ratio...

Old 08-17-01, 08:17 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by LexusRules
i would think the GS would be about equal if not faster at higher speeds as well right?
No No No No No!!!!!! The S2K's powerband is all in the upper RPM's. This car's redline is 9K!!! That is totally crazy at 9K....Needless to say, the S2K will smoke a GS400 as well, let alone a GS300.

Not to be mean or offensive but LET'S BE REAL FOLKS!!!! The GS is a luxury sport sedan NOT a sports car. Do not go attempting to race sports cars - Buy one yourself and then go race other sports cars...Otherwise, spend 10-15K in mods and add a forced induction on the GS, you might be able to catch some of them after that...

I'll say it again, (sorry GS300 owner's) the GS300 is slow, the GS400 is quicker but there are a LOT of sports cars in the low 5's 0-60 MPH times that will smoke us big time-but they can't carry 5 passengers comfortably with 4 doors. WE NEED MORE POWER!!!!

Brent
Old 08-17-01, 09:43 AM
Bobcat
Pole Position

brent:

i think i'm losing my mind (because of the money) but i'm starting to think about adding the stage 2 SC from SRT. that should make the GS pretty dang quick.
Old 08-17-01, 09:53 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Bobcat
brent:

i think i'm losing my mind (because of the money) but i'm starting to think about adding the stage 2 SC from SRT. that should make the GS pretty dang quick.
Bobcat,

Sit tight for about 6-9 months. Things may start materializing then regarding forced indcution options...

You don't want to be the first on this mod unless you get it for free or some deep discount...it's way too expensive.

Brent
Old 08-17-01, 12:46 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

The S2k has speed and handling. GS has EVERYTHING else. Why bother racing it?
Old 08-17-01, 05:09 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by 12E
....what can i do to my lexus to get it up to the s2000's level...

SELL IT!!!
then use the money and buy another car...

buy a 2nd Civic Hatchback...replace it with a Type R engine...plus a few mods...there 0-60 under 5!!!

with the spare change you can buy those neon glow sticks and tape it all over the car...
ok first of all . NO
and secound of all NO
and at last NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
he*lllll noooo read my lips . I HATE HONDAS
i stongly hate them very much i hate them more then i like my lexus. i would never drive a honda NEVER unless you give me a NSX for free... and ill take that and sell it and buy a supra and beat other nsx's but like i was saying my point NO
lol you gotta c the faces of people when they C me ina lexus GS specially guys who drive civics crx's accords s2000 (they do admire it) etc..... i love pissing off honda people... im thinking of getting a sticker that had that one lil guy peeing on a honda sign ... but im not that low life lol. so im not going to . huh. ok thats off my heart. CyA mayb you should take your modded civics (yours and your friends itll take 5-6 crx's ) all of you add money and buy one GS300orgs400 and share it? yeah thats sounds right.
Old 08-17-01, 05:27 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by GlobeCLK
The S2k has speed and handling. GS has EVERYTHING else. Why bother racing it?
Couldn't say it any better!
Speaking of the S2000 I saw this 70 year old woman driving one today.. And she was driving it like a teenager.. I stopped beside her and gave her the 2 thumbs up.. Wish I had my camera with me..
Old 08-17-01, 06:29 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by MEMYSELFNMYG300

ok first of all . NO
and secound of all NO
and at last NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
he*lllll noooo read my lips . I HATE HONDAS
i stongly hate them very much i hate them more then i like my lexus. i would never drive a honda NEVER unless you give me a NSX for free... and ill take that and sell it and buy a supra and beat other nsx's but like i was saying my point NO
lol you gotta c the faces of people when they C me ina lexus GS specially guys who drive civics crx's accords s2000 (they do admire it) etc..... i love pissing off honda people... im thinking of getting a sticker that had that one lil guy peeing on a honda sign ... but im not that low life lol. so im not going to . huh. ok thats off my heart. CyA mayb you should take your modded civics (yours and your friends itll take 5-6 crx's ) all of you add money and buy one GS300orgs400 and share it? yeah thats sounds right.
it's not right to hate man.
Not all Honda drivers are teenagers.haha.

Yeah I'll never drive a CRX or a civic but you gotta admit, Honda makes some of the world's best N/A engines. Don't forget to mention their effort in F1 too.

Modded Civics lack everything. FF handling might not be comparable to FR (although ITR and CTR do handle very very well), no luxury and thin metal doors. But people buy Hondas to make them fast. Very fast. Talk about 9, 10, 11 sec. 1/4 miles. For those people, drag speed comes before everything else. That doesn't make them suck.

Regarding NSX, there are things about it that the Supra cannot get to. MR chassis is a dream to many people, and that NA motor is very tuneable. Not to mention it's able to get turbo or SC bolt-ons. Don't underestimate NSX. If I get one for free I would keep it not trade in for Supra.

So again don't hate a car or a company. Hate some of their drivers but that should be it.

Just my 3 cents.
Old 08-17-01, 08:13 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

Yeah i guess. but what that one guy said really pisst me off... of well

cya
Old 08-17-01, 11:21 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by MEMYSELFNMYG300
Yeah i guess. but what that one guy said really pisst me off... of well

cya
Keep your cool. Most of the time when someone talks smack about your car they either 1) can't beat it or 2) jealous of it or 3) plain dumb@$$.

Enjoy.

Quick Reply: I Have A Gs300 Should I Race A Honda S2000