GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Excessive steering feedback - SOLVED!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-06, 11:20 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Excessive steering feedback - SOLVED!!!

You might recall my previous thread about feeling excessive steering wheel feedback:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=196892

Some of you said you felt the same thing, others have not experienced anything like it.

The good news is that I solved the problem, so if this helps any of you, have a read.

I took the car back to the alignment shop, and they swore up and down that it was the wear in the tires that was causing this. I was skeptical (why would worn tires make the car be all over the road?), but followed their advice.

I swapped the worn Dunlop P9000's for a set of Pirelli PZeros, and now... no feedback, no "tramlining", nothing - just a total joy to drive. It tracks straight, it doesn't follow every rut or groove in the pavement, and it does not bounce the steering wheel all the time. And a nice side benefit, the car is infinitely quieter now! Nice to know that the alignment shop was right.

So if any of you are dealing with this phenomenon, don't ignore the obvious thing - the tires!

Leon
Old 02-08-06, 11:47 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 366 Likes on 255 Posts

Interesting. I thought mine had gone away when I replaced my worn Contis with PZeros.

Perhaps that it's returning slowly means it's time for rotation, which is true according to my maintenance schedule.
Old 02-09-06, 09:01 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I really hope that those of you who said on my original thread that you experienced the same "tramlining" or unstable steering wheel symptoms as I did got a chance to see this update.

I can now drive the car with just my pinky on the wheel, much better than having both hands clutching the wheel and still being nervous.

And putting on a set of tires sure beats messing with ball joints, bushings, etc .

Good luck!

Leon
Old 02-10-06, 07:01 AM
Tranman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, worn down tires will usually do that. There are usually two different rubber levels on tires, the outer "soft" layer...then once it gets near the wear bars, the layer underneath the soft one shows up and it's usually a bit harder, so that's why you get more "feeling."
Old 11-24-19, 04:39 AM
leadersban
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suffering the Same problem

Hi, I ride 2011 gs450h all the way in South Korea, and I would like to ask you for couple of advices on the issue I'm going through. It seems like the one you had experienced.
In this video clip below, i was driving my car having my hands off the steering. Nothing touched the steering wheel.
All of sudden the steering shifted to the right and my car changed to the lane on the right side as if my car driving on its own.
have you experienced the same symptom ??

https://m.cafe.naver.com/ArticleRead...articleid=5973

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=196892

Some of you said you felt the same thing, others have not experienced anything like it.

The good news is that I solved the problem, so if this helps any of you, have a read.

I took the car back to the alignment shop, and they swore up and down that it was the wear in the tires that was causing this. I was skeptical (why would worn tires make the car be all over the road?), but followed their advice.

I swapped the worn Dunlop P9000's for a set of Pirelli PZeros, and now... no feedback, no "tramlining", nothing - just a total joy to drive. It tracks straight, it doesn't follow every rut or groove in the pavement, and it does not bounce the steering wheel all the time. And a nice side benefit, the car is infinitely quieter now! Nice to know that the alignment shop was right.

So if any of you are dealing with this phenomenon, don't ignore the obvious thing - the tires!

Leon[/QUOTE]