GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Yellow Fogs - Film or Lense

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-06, 01:01 AM
Ckroush
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yellow Fogs - Film or Lense

I just upgraded to 6000k HIDs and now I'd like to get the yellow fogs to enhance the look. I looked into buying the OEM fog assembly which would be the practical approach, but I could get out a lot cheaper either buying yellow film for the inside or buying 3000k look-alike bulbs.

My question I had though is if there IS a yellow film inside the foglight, is it directly infront of the bulb shield, or on the sides? Does anyone have a picture of the inside?? I doubt it, but If I do take the film approach, which would look better from the exterior or the car, I want to do it right.
Old 02-09-06, 03:46 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the stock foglight I believe that the reflector inside is yellow. Personally I think the stock yellow fogs look alot better than fogs with yellow film covering them. When the stock fogs are turned off the look clear with only a bit of yellow coming through the lens.
Old 02-09-06, 09:04 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yes it's a yellow lens right in front of the bulb, and you need to get the whole housing

personally i would get the housing if it's a choice. looks far cleaner
Old 02-09-06, 09:05 AM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When i took out my fogs inside the lense inside is yellow. It IS the bulb shield. I have the yellow fogs but i am also getting the yellow overlays from aerotect here on the forum. Ill post pix of it hopefully 2morrow when it comes in
Old 02-09-06, 09:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by j stuff
When i took out my fogs inside the lense inside is yellow. It IS the bulb shield. I have the yellow fogs but i am also getting the yellow overlays from aerotect here on the forum. Ill post pix of it hopefully 2morrow when it comes in
huh?! as in the yellow fogs are not yellow enough?
Old 02-09-06, 09:23 AM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yea everyone thinks im crazy or something for doing yellow over yellow but during the day i want that color. well see how it looks i suppose. 2morrow should be the day they come in
Old 02-09-06, 09:49 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm waiting for mine. The film yellow is a different shade of yellow than the standard fogs. It is more HID yellow. My foglights are clear, and I will be putting the film over a clear fogs.
Old 02-09-06, 11:36 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just had the yellow film I got from Aerotect put on my 3GS and I love the look:

More pics on my thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=200349
Old 02-09-06, 12:06 PM
Ckroush
Rookie

How easy is the film to apply and remove. Is it sticky on one side or did you have to use a heat gun? I want to know if its easy to remove incase I decide to buy the actual housings. Oh and how exactly do they stand up to water
Old 02-09-06, 12:22 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ckroush
How easy is the film to apply and remove. Is it sticky on one side or did you have to use a heat gun? I want to know if its easy to remove incase I decide to buy the actual housings. Oh and how exactly do they stand up to water
I let a detailing shop do it since I had to get some other stuff done by them, but according to other people that have done this, it shouldn't take more than 20 minutes. The film is sticky on one side and all you need to do is spray soapy water on that side and squeegee out the excess water while pressing the film onto the light. The use of a heatgun is optional, but recommended if you're doing the install in cold weather. It's a snap to remove. Not sure how durable they are as I just had them put on yesterday but it should last a long time.
Old 02-09-06, 12:52 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It seems like the process of putting it on is like tint film and the clear bra. Should be quite durable
Old 02-09-06, 12:54 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

DASHOCKER is right. It's basically the same install procedure. Also, the overlay film is much thicker than my clear bra so it should be very durable.
Old 02-10-06, 08:19 PM
Ckroush
Rookie

Thanks guys.. I'll probably get that film pretty soon. This doesn't really have anything to do with the topic, but I decided since I've got peoples attention I'd ask another question.

I usually listen to rock but today I put on some music with pretty heavy bass and it sounded horrible. I looked in the trunk, under the rear deck and saw that the sub has been removed and all that's hanging in its spot is the level line converter. I figure I'll have to put an aftermarket sub in and it'll give me a chance to upgrade anyways. Do you guys know what size the OEM system sub is? It looks like maybe a ten, but I wonder how hard it would be to get it cut out to fit a 12....
Old 02-11-06, 12:55 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ckroush
Do you guys know what size the OEM system sub is? It looks like maybe a ten
It is indeed a 10.

As for film or OEM housing, I vote for housing. The film is just TOO yellow for me, but we are not talking about my car.
Old 02-11-06, 12:54 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If money isn't an issue, get the OEM housings.

Quick Reply: Yellow Fogs - Film or Lense