GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

SupraTT Brake Upgrade: Question for those who have it...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-01 | 02:27 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

The rims I just ordered are designed to accomodate a big brake....But, one of my main concerns was if I got a flat....I still have the stock GS 17" rim as a spare but it will not fit w/the Supra caliper. So, I will also carry a 15mm spacer in my trunk just in case I get a flat in the front I can still use the stock 17" as a spare.....
Unless you are against using spacers you can get a pair of 15mm from Dave at GT Autosports for about $100..
This would assure no rubbing or machining of the caliper...Just a thought...Tiny
Old 08-20-01 | 02:30 PM
RacingAristo

I don't like using spacers. That's why I didn't even mention. But thanks for the thought, tiny.
Old 08-20-01 | 02:31 PM
RacingAristo

tinygs,

I have an unrelated question. How does your LSportline front grill fit and where did you get it from? Thanks.
Old 08-20-01 | 04:33 PM
JacobT

Originally posted by RacingAristo
Jacob,

I'm thinking to take my car to Laguna Seca this Dec and don't want anything goes wrong, including my car parts. If shaving is truly unharm and very common, how come shops here at Los Angeles aren't willing to do so and even Steve told me not to do it? Please enlighten me. Thanks.

Dennis
Dennis,

If shaving the calipers make you feel un-comfortable about this brake upgrade then DON'T do it. Wait till you save enough and get another set of rim that will accomdate the bigger brake. Or you can contact DAZZ to see if they are willing to swap out the center piece of your C5 and replace it with the +38mm center. Let me know if they can do it since I'm interested in doing that too.
Old 08-20-01 | 04:49 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by HI98GS
Brent,
They will fit fine, just make sure you use new washers. The crush washers that are on the car now may not give a complete seal when you put on the new/old calipers. The stock brake lines will not line up directly as on the stock caliper, but it will fit, just make sure when you position it, there isn't much tension. If you want, I can take a picture of mine and send it to you.

aloha ricky
Hey Ricky please take a pic and send it to Brent.Liu@stjohns.org

Thanks. BTW, what island are you on? I am coming out for vacation in early November to Oahu and Maui...

Brent
Old 08-20-01 | 05:47 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

brent,
I live on Oahu, I'll take the picture later this week.

Dennis,
As far as using a spacer, if you need to get one, you will need to change out the front studs to longer ones. It is not difficult to do. It makes the rim look nicer in the wheel well. I'll take a picture of the studs.
Old 08-20-01 | 06:52 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

RacingAristo- The L-sportline grill is available through RMM or possibly Dazz motorsports(makers of L-sportline) if they will sell to the public......The fit is fine, no mod necessary....It is a different mount than your stock grill though, you must drive the screws from the back side of the holes in your hood into the grill itself..(no pre-drilled holes, just line it up and drive the screw in, very nice fit though) The factory grill has screws attached to it, they go through the holes on the hood and are held on by tightening bolts from the back side of the grill...make sense? What is currently available(what I got) is the second gen grill, the first L-sportline production run was HORRIBLE!!!!! I could make a better mold using playdough.....This is the one RMM originally tried to send me.....I called and told them I didnt want it and they said it was doubtful they would accept a return......I laughed and told them that I GUARANTEE I would be returning through whatever means I had to persue....So I called Dazz directly, got AWESOME customer service, and never delt with RMM again...Dazz let me return the original and then sent me the pre-painted 2nd gen....
Since that time, and for the exact same price, the ARISTO JDM grill became available through Steve and various others....This is the one I would get if I were currently looking for a grill with no cross-section or badging...($380 painted)

Hi98GS? Are you saying that you use spacers? I thought you had the Work Equip with High-disc fitment? Or, do you just have some other pics of the longer studs?
Tiny

Last edited by tinygs; 08-20-01 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-20-01 | 10:54 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by HI98GS
brent,
I live on Oahu, I'll take the picture later this week.
ricky,

Thanks!

Brent
Old 08-21-01 | 03:43 PM
RacingAristo

I'm going to SP Engineering probably this weekend to see what they can do. I hope everything works out fine.
Old 08-21-01 | 11:05 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Dennis,

Like Jacob said, you either have to shave the caliper, or use a spacer. No tuner nor supplier will recommend shaving because of the liability. Just consider using the spacers. I use 5mm.

Good luck.