GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New GS430 with L-tuned suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-01, 04:14 PM
Steve32
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up my new GS430 today - Mystic Sea Opalescent with black leather, 17 inch wheels, and L-tuned springs and shocks. The only hard part was returning my 1997 SC300 5-speed (lease was up). This is really an awesome car in terms of overall quality and luxury features and I think you'd have to spend $70K+ to get a better engine. Other cars I considered were the Saab Aero, Audi A6 Turbo, BMW 540, and Mercedes E430. I think the Saab and Audi are not quite in the same class as the GS430 and are not as reliable (very important to me). The BMW has better handling, but adding the L-tuned components makes it pretty close and the lease price on the BMW is almost $300 more per month - not worth it in my opinion. The Mercedes feels about the same as the GS to me, but has unexceptional styling and is substantially more expensive. I'm delighted with the car after my first few hours with it, but as a newcomer have several questions.
1. There's a lot of tire noise from the Bridgestone RE030's that came with the car. From other posts I get the feeling that people don't like these tires - any suggestions?
2. The initial acceleration doesn't feel as "eager" as the BMW. It almost feels as if the connection between the accelerator and the engine is somewhat sluggish off the line. Any thoughts or suggestions?
3. I didn't get the L-tuned steering ECU because other people on these boards said that it was already supplied with the 430. The steering feels fine to me.
4. Does the L-tuned exhaust change performance significantly and is it much louder? Do those who have it think it's a worthwhile modification?
Old 08-18-01, 04:43 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve,

welcome. very wise choice(you probably already figured that out w/your last lex ) your reasoning is on the same line as mine when it comes to the gs430. why spend more $$$ when you get a car just as good in many aspects if not better.

1.the re030s-one of the WORST tyres on the planet. ;ex corp really tried to save a few $$$ on this one. it all depends on your budget. my local tyre guy promised to give me $200 for credit if i were to trade them in once i pick up my gs430, though i am still debating over this issue as to whether i should just use the 030s for a while until gone.
on average, a good 17 is ~$125-175 each. i would recommend the bridgestone re730, toyo t1-s, yoko avs db, dunlop sp5000, and if you REALLY want to save a few$$$, try the kumhos-very cheap for the size and users like them too.

2.the 540s have more aggressive torque converter from the fcatory, hence the gas guzzler tax on that car. plus the gs430 was built as ULEV vehicle. you get beetter gas mileage. you can always add the Precision Torque converter for better take-offs. also keep in mind this is a brand new car.

3. the l-tuned exhaust looked very nice, and sounds great. may be a little on the loud side under WOT. performance, since this is just the rear section, performnace gain is minimal. priec, if i have that ~$600 extra, i would consider getting it becuase i like the way it fills out the bumper. call steve at carson toyota for all your l-tuned, trd, lex parts need.

william
Old 08-18-01, 04:54 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the L-tuned exaust sounds like the exaust from an E55 AMG its not too loud but has a nice rumble to it but under WOT its loud and thats what you want when your flooring it so you can actually hear the power
Old 08-18-01, 05:54 PM
GS Doug
Driver

I have a brand new GS430 with L-tuned exhaust. The 17" RE030s are mediocre; I swapped them out for Bridgestone S-02 Pole Positions on my last car (1999 GS400), and was much happier.

The L-tuned exhaust is a nice addition. Not too loud, but lets you know what's under the hood.

For more oomph, try toggling the power/snow switch to power (just in front of the armrest). It's a cheap (free) boost.

Just out of curiosity, what were your lease terms, incl. cap reduction, out-the-door cost, lease duration, mileage allowance, and monthly payment (excluding tax).

Enjoy the new ride; you won't be disappointed.
Old 08-18-01, 08:24 PM
Steve32
Driver School Candidate

Default New GS430 with L-tuned suspension

Thanks for your replies. In answer to your question, Doug, my lease deal was $551 per month for 48 months with 12K miles/year, no money down. This included the premium package, 17" wheels, L-tuned suspension and a few minor items. The dealer gave me about 10% off MSRP and I had a $500 coupon from Lexus for being a repeat customer. In addition, I took advantage of a program Lexus has that gives you a discount off the lease money factor for leaving multiple security deposits. It's worth doing if you don't mind tying up the money for the term of the lease - the return on your money is about 11%. Out the door cost was $450 lease acquisition and first month's payment.