GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

**who hates that the new GS4 came out !***

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-06 | 01:17 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

The 2nd gen is also more of a drivers car than electronically controlled 3rd gen. VDIM stand for Very Dumb Ingenuity Misahap.
Old 02-17-06 | 01:55 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by lalexusgs
Wasn't 2nd gen GS itself copied from Merc E class? At least the front looks completely copied to me, and Merc E of this type came out much earlier in Europe than Aristo of 2nd gen GS type in Japan, not talking about both models in US.
Yep they sure did. They took the E-class headlights and made them look more modern. The same quad headlights at least.

Not much else though - the grille and hood are completely different.
Old 02-17-06 | 02:42 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Alexusoftime
you sure its the picture of the cars eric or the gurls lol yeah i came from the dead havent post in months lol
lol that girl is pretty cute ...look she's waving at me ..lol
you sure did come from the grave
Old 02-17-06 | 02:55 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

I love my 2nd gen GS, but its always nice to upgrade to the latest model. The only problems I see with the 3rd gen style are little things....like why put a chrome trim around the outter low beam headlights and NOT on the inner lights? Also the lines on the front hood and the lights dont flow too nice imo.
Old 02-17-06 | 03:02 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

You're NOT kidding. Heh heh.

But what's that front license plate say - Riceroni ???

Jerry

Originally Posted by Hameed
What body kit is on this GS? I like it very much from this angle.

[
Old 02-17-06 | 03:12 PM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

I personally think our 2gen gs has more personality than the 3rd Gen. The lines on our cars are more sexy to me, and just give our cars more character (as opposed to the 3rd gen, which to me looks similar to too many other cars and models)....
Old 02-17-06 | 03:19 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

I hate the chrome sideskirt thing and headlight trim.

as for the car overall,I used to hate it, but now I like it. it has grown on me, but I still think Lexus could've done better. 380hp would make it look alot better
Foofighter's black 06 with the Work Euroline SLs is one of my favorites.
Old 02-17-06 | 03:37 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chuckb
I hate the chrome sideskirt thing and headlight trim.

as for the car overall,I used to hate it, but now I like it. it has grown on me, but I still think Lexus could've done better. 380hp would make it look alot better
Foofighter's black 06 with the Work Euroline SLs is one of my favorites.

Yes Foofighters GS was beautiful. I think the 3GS starting looking much better to me when lowering kits started coming out
Old 02-17-06 | 07:36 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Originally Posted by PHML
I love my 2nd gen GS, but its always nice to upgrade to the latest model. The only problems I see with the 3rd gen style are little things....like why put a chrome trim around the outter low beam headlights and NOT on the inner lights? Also the lines on the front hood and the lights dont flow too nice imo.
Yep,
The headlights and grill remind me of what I hated about the previous generation Avalon.
Old 02-17-06 | 08:07 PM
Exsys2000
Driver

Originally Posted by TexasGS
Every time I see a new GS, I think just the opposite. How plain they look. Like every other new car out there. When I see a 2nd Gen GS, I always look at it and think they look so good. A 2nd Gen GS with wheels, lowered and a kit will always out shine a Gen 3, IMO. I just keep hoping the next generation will be something to say WOW about.
Amen. My sentiments exactly.

Originally Posted by Hameed
Yep they sure did. They took the E-class headlights and made them look more modern. The same quad headlights at least.

Not much else though - the grille and hood are completely different.
There is a Hyundai model that has similar headlights as well. All the way around, the 2nd Gen GS beats similar looking cars in looks though.

Last edited by LexTPOP; 02-17-06 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-17-06 | 08:11 PM
LexFather

2 diff companies at the time.
1. Lets remember the 2GS was around 8 years. That is a LONG time. We had it for a very long time in one bodystyle.
2. The 3GS is now part of a design language, L-finesse. The 2GS was not, it was made to be the most distinctive looking Lexus, not sharing any elements with the other cars in the lineup.
3. Funny but this morning I saw a 2GS on 20s and a new 3GS430 on the highway and while the 3GS looks newer and seems wider and meaner from the front, the 2GS has aged WONDERFULLY and looks meaner from the side and rear.

Overall, both incredible cars
Old 02-17-06 | 08:33 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

To answer the original question, the existence of the 3GS doesn't bother me at all, not one bit. I think it's a very nice car, but there's something about the 2GS that is ageless. Maybe it's because the car was so far ahead of its time when it was introduced in 1997. Think about it -- the styling was different than anything else out there, and it was one of the first regular production cars to have 300hp and 300+ lb/ft of torque. It truly has aged gracefully, so much so to the point where I don't think it looks dated in light of the 3GS (which is really unbelievable when you think about it). Anyway, just my .02.

e
Old 02-17-06 | 09:26 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

I must say I like it alot it's a whole new style. I think it will grow on all of us just add a little CLUBLEXUS to the new GS and all I can say is
Old 02-17-06 | 10:41 PM
smuv gs3
Lead Lap

Well I must be the only first gen to comment but the gs will always turn heads its just one of those cars that you cant wait to see what it will evolve into next. For years when people think of Lexus they think of two models the sc and the gs so you have to raise the bar in the design game.for over the past decade the gs body lines have been copied more than any other vehicle on the road (Chrysler 300m, dodge intrepid concorde, LHS, Nissan maxima altima Infiniti g35 Daewoo Leganza etc) .Just remember imitation is the best form of flattery so no matter what the gs4 looks like its a part of our heritage , so lets embrace it and sit back and watch the bootleggers copy this one to boost sales of their tired whips , this one is PHAT!!!
Old 02-18-06 | 03:52 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

3GS has grown on me but not enough for me to swoon over. If they do a mild make over of the headlights and take thar chrome door trim off, I would like it a lot more. Here's the difference to me. I can drive a 3gs stock. It's slightly sleek enough to appear to be cutting through the air. I could never drive a 2 gs stock. It's too bulbous. No sleekness. Modded it changes like night and day. The change is less dramatic with 3gs. Both great cars. It don't see the 2 gs as being outdated though. That's part of american culture to make us desire something new to promote capitalism. I like changing or getting other cars but they don't have to be new. I refuse to be programmed that way.

Remember, these are just my opinions and hope no thinks I'm putting down their beloved gs....which ever one you love.

Quick Reply: **who hates that the new GS4 came out !***