GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Race Question: GS300 vs Audi A4 (w/ Twin Turbo)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-01, 08:57 PM
MAD_Wicked
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My cousin just recently bought a new Audi A4. And has been pressing me to race him for the past month or so.

All modifications I have done to date have been strickly cosmetic. He has a 4 cylinder A4 with Twin Turbo's. He also has had the Audi racing chip installed to boost his horsepower to right around the same as the GS300.

Since his car is almost half the size of mine, I have feared that the weight differential will give him the edge. Plus the turbo makes him really quick at the start.

Can my factory engine overcome his engine mod., and the twin turbos.

All opinions are welcome, but if you could tell me how sure you are about the subject I would be greatly appreciative. (Just so I can establish a realistic wager)

Thanks a million, and I will post the results after I blow the doors off of his LITTLE A4. (I hope)
Old 08-19-01, 09:00 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You already lost.. Sorry to say.. I don't have the hard numbers to back that up but IMHO you will lose.. I'm sure the guys here will confirm or deny this statement thou..
Old 08-19-01, 10:17 PM
Intellexual
Lead Lap

Hmmm...

A4, 4 cylinder TWIN turbo? What is this? did he get an aftermarket turbo cuz the only 4 cylinder A4's out there are 1.8T's which have ONE turbo.

Unless you are talking about the twin-turbo (bi-turbo according to Audi) S4, the performance variation of the A4, but then that has a 2.7L V6, not 4 cylinder.

If its an S4, you will definitely lose. Those things pack 250hp and are QUICK.

I agree with the above, be sure you know exactly what you are racing before betting/losing any money
Old 08-19-01, 10:35 PM
MAD_Wicked
Driver School Candidate

It is an aftermarket dual turbo.....And definetly an A4 4 cylinder...

The Racing chip controls the fuel intake ratio.

He has told me he can get about 230 horsepower.

I do not have the turbo brand or specs, but will try and find out in the morning.

Either way it sounds like I should keep stalling, and let him wonder. Save my money and the embarrasement of getting smoked by a car that cost about 20 Grand less than mine...Ouch

Old 08-19-01, 11:11 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a aftermarket twin turbo? I thought his car was strictly cosmetic except for the chip? A twin turbo upgrade isn't exactly a "minor" upgrade and something you leave out when you're talking about a upgraded car...

And on a small 4 cylinder motor like the 1.8T's, it makes NO sense to put in twin turbos...my ex-girlfriend has a 1.8T and I can't see where the hell you would squeeze in two turbos unless they were really tiny and sequential and/or you moved a lot of stuff around around with some serious plumbing...who's kit does he have?

If he really does have a twin turbo upgrade along with a chip, he will absolutely hand you your *** on a platter...

Let's face the facts, the GS300 (NA) is slow. It's a large, heavy car with a weak 225 HP engine...the GS430/400 is just adequate to be considered a "sport sedan". I can't wait until Lexus upgrades the GS300 to a GS350 or something! The GS300 needs a supercharger or turbo badly if you want it compete with other "Sport Sedans"...otherwise, it's a damn good Luxury Sedan...let's not fool ourselves...
Old 08-20-01, 12:25 AM
zz231
Pole Position

i say don't bother racing him. a twin turbo 1.8 versus your stock lexus is not a fair race. i agree with manaray, the gs3 is not fast at all, at least not stock.
come on lexus, you can learn a lesson or two from nissan/infiniti. the gs3 needs at least 250 to 260hp to be half decent. ooops, did i just say that?

now if your friend wants a race tell him i'll race him. while he's expecting me to show up with my gs3, i'll show up with my brothers C5 vette, you think your buddy will notice?
Old 08-20-01, 12:59 AM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

I say go ahead and race him . As long as its FOR FUN and not endangering anyone go for it . Hell where you at ? I will race him in my 300 for kicks .

Just read the wager part . Don't race cause if he has the same hp as you , he will win because of his weight advantage.
Old 08-20-01, 07:44 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Hey, IMO, a GS300 stocked should be left alone in racing wise. Lexus should of made the gs3 with at least 250 HP. Just slap on some good 20's, add a nice bodykit and just let people (girls) stare down your ride. Thats the best way to use your GS300

If you put a turbo in it, then its a different story.
Old 08-20-01, 09:15 AM
MAD_Wicked
Driver School Candidate

I will just let the girls sweat me

I can live with that....

Last edited by MAD_Wicked; 08-20-01 at 09:25 AM.
Old 08-20-01, 10:04 PM
ERICKGS3
Rookie

dont race him, and give him the satisfaction.. dieselman63 is right just dump it, put ATLEAST some 19s on there and a cool bodykit..and tell everyone to pick up their jaws!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: erick
Old 08-22-01, 08:10 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Screw that! Put 19's or 20's on it, dump it with COILOVERS, put a nice clean body kit on it, do a full suspension upgrade and SLAP ON A DAMN SUPERCHARGER (or turbo).

I think if you're have that look you should be able to back it up with SOME semblance of performance!

A stock GS300 with 20's and a body kit will be about as fast as Civic DX with four people in it...you don't want to loose to a Civic DX do you?

Looks AND performance!

So tell me what twin turbo kit he has...due to my ex, I've done some "research" into modding up Audi's and I haven't run across any twin-turbo kits for the 1.8T's...are you SURE it's not just a stock single turbo with a chip?

zz231 - Did you just say that Lexus could learn a lesson from Nissan/Infiniti?! Don't let some of the other members read that! To them, Nissan/Inifinti is worse company on the planet! Hehehehe...I sorta agree with them though, I think the decision makers at Nissan/Infiniti of America need to be FIRED...no...more like SHOT. No Cedric/Gloria in the US? No Laurels? No R32/R33/R34 Skylines? No Y32 Cimas? If Nissan/Infiniti of America would have pulled their heads out their ***** years ago, they would have DOMINATED.

But at any rate, everyone else is pumping in more HP and Torque into their motors (and some manufactures back it up with some smokin' real world performance...AMG & BMW/M for example...) and Toyota/Lexus thinks it's customers don't need or want it...

They can learn from the whole Apple/Motorola vs. Wintel, AMERICANS LIKE BIG NUMBERS. I don't see that changing any time soon...

Last edited by Manaray; 08-23-01 at 04:46 AM.
Old 08-22-01, 10:09 AM
ming 2.7T
Driver

A debaged S4 maybe? Or maybe they put on A4 and 1.8T badges?
S4 has the Bi-turbo 2.7 motor. Just wondering. I had not heard of a twin turbo A4 mod.
Old 08-22-01, 11:35 AM
Bobcat
Pole Position

ROFL!!!

1sicklex .... you are one crazy moe foe !!!

thanks for keeping us laughing
Old 08-22-01, 02:36 PM
2Lexos
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first you get an intake and exhaust setup......then you rip out your interior......drop a milk crate where your driver's seat use to be.......and collect your cash at the finish line.....oh and don't forget to remove your spare tire!!
Old 08-22-01, 07:00 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX

I mean really; the world's most powerful headlights

who gives a rat's a$$

L-O-L. Yeah, its not really a noticable difference.

As for the GS300 racing, I rather look good and let people stare down my ride in AWE than putting all my money into a turbo/SC. Though if you have money for both, then you have best of both worlds