GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Installing Front Strut Bar

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-01, 09:16 AM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know how to install the front strut bar? I recently order an TRD Front Strut Bar.. and get ready to install them on my GS4. On top of the Strut tower, there are black metal ring than the screw nuts. Do I need to remove the ring than install the bar or just put the strut bar on top of the ring?
Old 08-20-01, 09:45 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

take off the rings
Old 08-20-01, 08:46 PM
da-mit
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have HEARD that you must jack the car up for the holes on the strut bar to align up with the struts. I am not posotive about this though, I may be wrong.
Old 08-20-01, 09:08 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

if u jack up the car its a lot eaisier because there isn't any force on the wheels or tires so the bar will lay down on the bolts with ease
Old 08-21-01, 06:22 AM
chrislee8
Driver

Default dude, don't

jack up the car!

don't give out wrong info, man, that cost lives!

you don't need to jack up the car, you need to car weight to hold the strut in proper position.

just lay your car flat on the even floor. apply for wd40 on the bolts, take the bolts out, put the bar on, put the bolts/nuts back. that is it!
it takes me less than 15 mins.

and/or(it is optional) take your car to the shop for wheel alignment.

check out my strut bar installation:

http://www.chrislee8.com/pics/es300/es300.asp
Old 08-21-01, 02:41 PM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Thanks everyone for all your help.

Here in Boston, I have to do a lot of DIY. I have only seen one supup GS once in Boston. Not alot of you are here in Boston. You don't even know the trouble I have when I want a LT Muffler install. Finally did.. nice..

My next project is to instll the steering ECU.. which shold arrive any days now. Another DIY project.. I read the ECU 101 by Y2KGS4. I hope his instruction is what I need to install that..

Again.. my first DIY.. hopefully it will go smoothly..
Old 08-22-01, 05:45 AM
xsuperjoex
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: dude, don't

Originally posted by chrislee8
dude don't jack up the car!

don't give out wrong info, man, that cost lives!

you don't need to jack up the car, you need to car weight to hold the strut in proper position.

just lay your car flat on the even floor. apply for wd40 on the bolts, take the bolts out, put the bar on, put the bolts/nuts back. that is it!
it takes me less than 15 mins.

and/or(it is optional) take your car to the shop for wheel alignment.

check out my strut bar installation:

http://www.chrislee8.com/pics/es300/es300.asp
Dude take it ease...we're talking about a GS not an ES..The parts are totally different..The TRD front STB is non adjustable there is one way it goes on and one way only!!! For some people it will be hard to get it on without jacking the car up a couple of inches because the STB could be off by 2-5 Millie Meters but that amount of space will prevent the TRD STB from going on without some proper flexing from the chassis. I personally had to lift my car a couple of inches from the middle of the car to get my TRD STB on because mine was off by about 3mm.

Sasha is not wrong, Chris nor is he giving out information that is going to kill anyone.

Last edited by xsuperjoex; 08-22-01 at 05:49 AM.
Old 08-22-01, 08:36 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

thanks joe, what i should have said is you can jack it up a little bit, but not too much to take all of the weight off of the wheel.
Old 08-22-01, 09:55 AM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

thanks for everyone's input. I will let you guys know how it work out when I finally have them.. I was told by the dealer that it is back order..
Old 08-22-01, 10:21 AM
RacingAristo

shinchan,

you can contact Steve (SupraTRD) for the parts. He has it in stock last time I check which is last monday.
Old 08-22-01, 01:01 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Re: dude, don't

Originally posted by xsuperjoex

Dude take it ease...we're talking about a GS not an ES..The parts are totally different..The TRD front STB is non adjustable there is one way it goes on and one way only!!! For some people it will be hard to get it on without jacking the car up a couple of inches because the STB could be off by 2-5 Millie Meters but that amount of space will prevent the TRD STB from going on without some proper flexing from the chassis. I personally had to lift my car a couple of inches from the middle of the car to get my TRD STB on because mine was off by about 3mm.

Sasha is not wrong, Chris nor is he giving out information that is going to kill anyone.
Correct....The TRD is totally different than the multi-piece STB on your ES....After two minutes with the TRD I was convinced it wasnt going to work. After 5 minutes it just fell into place.....little tricky though, jack it up if it helps...If you jack it up and somehow die, I would like to know how you managed that one....Tiny
Old 08-22-01, 08:40 PM
miko400
Driver

Post STB

What STB should I purchase their is a lot of them out in the market? I was thinking about getting the RMM strut brace. But should I get TRD once instead????
Old 08-23-01, 04:45 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's a link to the UGO Carbon Fiber STB install...you can use the same directions for a TRD bar...(except for the adjustment). On my GS, I did not need to lift the car. Just make sure your GS is on a FLAT, LEVEL surface...

https://www.clublexus.com/vb/showthr...threadid=17258
Old 08-23-01, 08:31 AM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Red face

Does anyone know how much Steve is selling for the TRD front Stress Bar? On his web... its selling for: $220. I hope that is not the price that he will said... because I have order from different guy for : $165. Which I have to wait a bit.. due to out of stock.. but for that diff, I will wait...
Old 08-23-01, 03:08 PM
miko400
Driver

Default STB

I was told $170.00 for the STB. But I would give Steve and\or Gordon a call at Carson's Toyotal..

Quick Reply: Installing Front Strut Bar