GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-01 | 08:51 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Dronell - The ONLY thing I really dislike about that wheel is that it's a DESIGN knock-off of the Hamann wheel...It is a great looking wheel but it's a BMW Tuner wheel...it's like putting Mercedes-Benz looking wheels on the Lexus...

There are other 5 spokes out there...

Jinos - Glad that you made the "right" decision on the wheels...

As for the brakes, as other gs4will and RacingAristo said, the SupraTT brakes are the best bang for your buck BUT they're not that large and they say "SUPRA" on them...(but I believe you can remove that logo...not sure what's involved..)

At any rate, the AP 6-Piston is DEFINITELY available for the GS430. Like Calvin said, we BOTH have it! And as he said, the brake lines are just a little bit too long (which Stillen has a working solution for). Call Stillen and talk to HAMILTON (sale associate). He should know about the brakes...

Also, Brembo JUST released a *larger* front brake package for the GS...you might want to look into that too. I believe it's the same size at the AP setup now (but still with a 4 pot caliper)

As for "streetability" of either system, it's hard to say. I have the AP's on a car that driven daily and I love 'em. I've driven a Brembo setup GS also recently and I think the AP had a better "initial bite" feel than the Brembos (which some people don't like...they prefer the more giving feeling of the Brembos)...I guess it's just personal preference...Either way, you can't go wrong. If you have the cash, I would do the AP racing or the new Brembo system (larger than their previous one)...

Old 08-22-01 | 09:19 AM
GSman
Pole Position

Just curious. For those who have opted to upgrade to a bigger brake, what happens if you get a flat? Assume you can't use the stock spare. Did you need to replace the spare with an aftermarket rim?

Another question I have is are the brakes grabby with the Brembo, TRD or Supra TT kits?

Thanks,
Old 08-22-01 | 10:23 AM
RacingAristo

GSman,

You could carry a spacer in case you get a flat tire so at least you could put the tire on temporarily.
Old 08-22-01 | 05:32 PM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

Mr Horse, I'm with ya man, those wheels are awesome! I posted about them a week or so ago. Some folks here feel that Dronell doesn't have very original styling, but for me, I like what I like, and I like 'em!