GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

98 GS300 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-06, 03:05 AM
GoCarSc300
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 98 GS300 won't start

Before I get into the problem I just want everyone to know that I have been using the search tool for the last 3 hours, but I just can't find a situation that's exactly like mine. Some of the symptoms are the same, but not all of them. Please help me out. Well, my girlfriend's 98 GS300 won't start. The engine keeps attempting to start as long as I hold the key at the start position, but it just won't turn over (or catch). I was reading that this may not be the starter because it does everything except catch at the end. Sometimes it does catch but immediately dies. It doesn't seem to have enough kick to start the car completely. Most of the time it doesn't even catch, but when it does it's only for a split second and still doesn't start up. I have already checked the battery and its terminals. The connections there are good and the battery is fine. Any suggestion? Could it be coil packs, ignition fuse (if so where can I check it), starter itself, innactive fuel pump? Could it be the starter relay? If so, can I test this by swapping the relay from my friends '01 GS or is that not a good idea? Please help me out and sory for such a long post!
Old 02-22-06, 04:24 AM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just curious, but have you actually tested the battery or starter? and what was the last thing that happened before this problem started?
Old 02-22-06, 07:38 AM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

its probably the starter solenoid contacts wearing out...mine is doing the same thing, i have to keep bumping the key till the starter engages and starts the engine.
Old 02-22-06, 07:59 AM
Burton
Pole Position

It sounds like it is out of gas or needs a new fuel pump. Get some starting fluid from the parts store and spray it in the intake, if it starts you have a fuel problem.

Ben
Old 02-22-06, 08:36 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GoCarSc300
I have already checked the battery and its terminals. The connections there are good and the battery is fine.
I would double check that not only are the connections to the battery posts touching but that they are VERY TIGHT.

I had the same problem with my car (same year/model) and like yourself, I checked the battery posts and tightened them as much as I could. They were a smidget loose and no matter how much turning I did, they didn't get any tighter so I figured that was that.

Turns out - the threads within the battery post cable hardware were stripped and my local mechanic had to replace the battery post cable hardware.

Now it works just fine.

Hope that's your problem.

c.
Old 02-22-06, 08:50 AM
GoCarSc300
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the helpful hints, but it was a simple fix. Last night I changed the inside of the key because the battery (on the keyless entry remote) was dead. Instead of changing just the battery I swapped the whole inside of the key with another one. This is the key I was using when the car woudn't start. I guess the programmed chip only works with the actual key cut for that particular chip. I think the key must have some sensor that picks up the signal from the chip inside the remote because when I switched them back it fired right up. Thanks again everyone!
Old 02-22-06, 11:23 AM
Burton
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GoCarSc300
Thanks for all the helpful hints, but it was a simple fix. Last night I changed the inside of the key because the battery (on the keyless entry remote) was dead. Instead of changing just the battery I swapped the whole inside of the key with another one. This is the key I was using when the car woudn't start. I guess the programmed chip only works with the actual key cut for that particular chip. I think the key must have some sensor that picks up the signal from the chip inside the remote because when I switched them back it fired right up. Thanks again everyone!

You are correct it does matter which insides are in the key. I found this out on my RX300 when the key got broken and the car woulden't start unless I held it all together and started it.

Ben
Old 02-22-06, 11:28 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

glad to know our cars are protected by some high tech stuff!