GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Forced Induction??? What The Heck Is It??

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-01, 10:15 AM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EVERY ONES SAYING OH DONT RACE A CAR WITH FORCD INDUCTION YOU WILL LOOSE.... WHAT THE heck is it? and do they make it for a lexus gs300?? if so how much?? need to know
Old 08-21-01, 10:24 AM
2Lexos
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TURBO......you will lose!!! it's available for the GS....depends on what year you have.....there is also a supercharger available for the 98+ GS.
Old 08-21-01, 10:50 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

turbo, or supercharger, anything that FORCES air into the engine, hence Forced Induction.

you can get a turbo for pre-98 GS and post-98GS300

they can range from 3000-??? most likely you owuld pay around 4500 for a good turbo kit at abotu 8PSI (how much pressure is being pushed into the intake manifold) about 350flywheel HP
Old 08-21-01, 10:55 AM
gs300haltech
Driver

who makes a turbo kit for the 98+ gs 300 i havent found one yet. Toyotmoto wants a tremendous amount of money. for one.
Old 08-21-01, 10:57 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no one makes a kit, but most know how to do a GS3 turbo application, but only some know how to do it up to the point of fuel return and custom fuel delivery systems. thats why a turbo under 400flywheel HP will be fine, but over requires work and money.
Old 08-21-01, 10:58 AM
MrHorse
Pole Position

Default Yes, yes..

Forced induction "forces" the air into the engine, instead of the engine "sucking" it in. A turbocharger or a supercharger does just that. The purpose is to deliver more air into the engine, thereby increasing horsepower and torque.

TURBO = exhaust driven, gets very hot (to the point of glowing orange), needs an intercooler to cool down the air entering the engine, has "lag" - by the time the exhaust fumes spool up the turbine and it starts forcing air into the throttle body, there's a short (1-3 second) delay (depending on the size and type of the turbo).

SUPERCHARGER = belt driven, no lag, virtually no heat (although some superchargers do get hot and require intercoolers), there are several types of superchargers (screw, centrifugal, roots).

NOS = Nitrous Oxide, it's not really "forced induction" - more so a "boat-load of oxygen" which is needed for combustion. More NOS = more power. Also, the Nitrogen in the NOS mixture acts as a buffer during combustion and is an AWESOME intercooler for the air that's fed into the engine. There are generally two types of Nitrous systems (plate injection and direct port injection).

There's also a Miller-cycle-type engine.. It is a basic engine that uses delayed intake-valve timing and a Lysholm compressor to extract more power than would otherwise be available from the engine. The belt-driven, forced-induction Lysholm compressor is similar to a supercharger, but it is more efficient. Not really available as an add-on, it was only seen in the Mazda Millenia-S car.
Old 08-21-01, 12:25 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by gs300haltech
who makes a turbo kit for the 98+ gs 300 i havent found one yet. Toyotmoto wants a tremendous amount of money. for one.
JZS-147 (previous gen GS300) has a turbo kit, same as earlier Supra N/As, the 2JZ-GE without VVT-i.

98+ GS300, 2JZ-GE+VVT-i, there are no turbo kits but custom jobs can be done. XS Engineering made a custom turbo setup for the IS300 so it should be relatively easy for them to do it on a GS300. So there are no BOLT-ON KITS yet, but yes CUSTOM JOBS can be done.
Old 08-21-01, 01:03 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Yes, yes..

Originally posted by MrHorse
It is a basic engine that uses delayed intake-valve timing and a Lysholm compressor to extract more power than would otherwise be available from the engine. The belt-driven, forced-induction Lysholm compressor is similar to a supercharger, but it is more efficient. Not really available as an add-on, it was only seen in the Mazda Millenia-S car.
Interestingly enough, I think that a version of the Lysholm compressor which is basically, a screw-type compressor is being used on the new AMG C32...I could be wrong though...

Brent

Last edited by BLiu; 08-21-01 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-21-01, 03:11 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

so around how much a custom twinturbo setup would cost?? any 1 have any clue? would a TT setup produce more power or a single big turbo? how much HP??

and how does "twin" turbo work??
Old 08-21-01, 03:15 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Originally posted by GlobeCLK

98+ GS300, 2JZ-GE+VVT-i, there are no turbo kits but custom jobs can be done. XS Engineering made a custom turbo setup for the IS300 so it should be relatively easy for them to do it on a GS300. So there are no BOLT-ON KITS yet, but yes CUSTOM JOBS can be done.
I hear that XS has a kit pending for the GS300.
Old 08-21-01, 09:08 PM
GS - T.O.
Driver

Originally posted by MEMYSELFNMYG300
so around how much a custom twinturbo setup would cost?? any 1 have any clue? would a TT setup produce more power or a single big turbo? how much HP??

Twin turbo allow more power to be deliver in both low rpm and high rpm.
Old 08-21-01, 10:18 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by QBranchCars

I hear that XS has a kit pending for the GS300.
yeah but I've also heard that it's queued...

might have to do with the WRX sitting outside XS
Old 09-04-01, 06:41 PM
BBD
....BANNED! :-)

Twin Turbo engine are good because of low Lag and you can make them Sequential,,,, a Singel Turbo upgrade for the Supra produces more horse power because it uses a bigger turbo but you have more turbo lag ,,, if you use 2 BIG turbos you loose the engine

I like the Idea of Twin turbos, but that is not the time for me yet work on One turbo make it work then do Twin Turbos ,,, and my project on a V8 is use Quad MINI turbos if possible lol JUST AN IDEA GUYS.

(yaa I have many dreams of my GS4 having Quad Turbo) Sniff
Old 09-04-01, 08:32 PM
v300
Lead Lap

Default quicker spool up or better top end

Originally posted by MEMYSELFNMYG300

When you say TT setup I am going to assume something similar to that of the Supra. It is going to be very hard to accomplish simply because of four sensors in the stock TT cluster of manifold, wastegate and turbo. To keep it short one of the important function of the sensors is to determine when more fuel will be added once turbo 2 kicks in the sequential system. Your ECU needs to recognize those sensors. Cost? You might as well import an Aristo front clip for around $10K. Along with that you'll need to add a fuel return line, larger fuel pump, intercooler, and a customized driveshaft.

When you say which turbo setup (single vs twin) will produce more power, it is relative to the actual turbo itself. However, we have to call the variable "boost." It is dependent on the turbo sizing and sometimes the construction of turbo. The stock twin turbos from the MKIV Supra is extremely responsive because of its initial spool up and help with a sequential system. They spool well because those CT20s are very dinky and the turbine wheel have little roational intertia to overcome compared to its sister turbo the CT26. Reliably the stock TT setup is good for about 450rwhp w/ a front mount intercooler for safety. *HKSGS4POWER can help w/ these numbers* Whereas on most Supra TT, the next step is a streetable single turbo such as T04S or a T61. They will take longer to spool up but can blow out way more air than the CT20s. If you want all out Gonzo get something close to a T88. If you want ultimate spool up, I recommend you get a stand alone system like a Motec or F-Con V Pro, two T-66 (.6+ A/R), and NOS to help spool up the turbo. As for power, it is relative to the engine, drivetrain, fuel system, turbo. However, the ultimate power does not come without a price. It may not be streetable and reckless to drive on public roads.

Seriously, you will need to ask yourself questions like how much power do I want? Is it a track car, street car, or drag car? Notice that I have not mentioned the factor of money.

I hope my input helps.
Old 09-05-01, 10:00 AM
v300
Lead Lap

Default blow dryers!!!

Originally posted by epk
Does a hair dryer work as well? Hehe, I'm J/k!
epk,

Yeah, there are two respective hair/blow dryer kits for the GS400 (Swift-Racing) and GS300/Is300 (Area51). I don't know too much about the Swift Racing blower but Mkilty should. The GS300 hair dryer is good for 250+ hp to the ground on 5.5 lbs of boost. Interestingly enough it's not running an aftercooler. Kit retails for slightly above $5000.