GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Should I be worried about the GS4 problems?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-06, 04:02 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I be worried about the GS4 problems?

Hey all,

I'm going to be getting a car withing the next few months, and its between an IS300, GS300 and GS400. Since I probably don't want to spend more than 17-18,000... it'll probably be a 98 or 99 GS400. I've searched and read all the threads on the common problems. I'm not too concerned with headlight condensation or rattles or such. What does concern me is the low idle and starter problems. Since I won't be buying a car under warranty... and i'm going to be a first year medical student.... I won't have the money or the time to take my car in to the dealer several times as they attempt to fix a problem. It seems that some of you who've had the low idle problem have been able to get it fixed, but I'm under the impression that dealers have not been able to fix the problem for many of you after repeated trips and replaced parts. In your objective opinions, do you all think the low idle problem is something that happens to a good portion of the 1UZ GS's (like half or more?). Its ok if I just have to replace something once I guess, I just don't want the nightmare of the dealer trying over and over again, charging me money, and still not being able to fully resolve a problem. What are your opinions on this?

Also, how common is the starter problem? I read about it from time to time and it seems extremely expensive to fix, but is this a less common problem with the GS4's? Thanks everyone.

-Faraaz
PS- I'm going to be moving to Ft. Lauderdale, FL for med school... how are the dealers in the area?
Old 02-23-06, 04:30 PM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on going to med school

Ive heard alot of about the low idle problem, even felt it one day when my windows were down and the a/c was off and I was sitting at a red light. But after reading the post about keeping your a/c on, Ive never had that problem again.

Ive had starting issues, but like some on here, it was attributed to the terminal connections being loose and dirty. Once I cleaned the battery terminals, and tightened the connections, everything was fine.

Good luck with which ever vehicle you purchase...and with med school too
Old 02-23-06, 04:34 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Default personally

things will wear out, and I think A new starter during a span of 5-6 years isn't bad. The low idle isn't a issue in my opinion. Good luck with your future in med school.
Old 02-23-06, 05:13 PM
GUNRU-GS4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My GS400 is a 98 with 85k and have not experienced either of those problems yet. It starts and runs perfect everyday even when its 5 degrees in MI. Get a GS400, if you get a IS or GS300 you'll be dissapointed you didn't get the V8!!
Old 02-23-06, 05:40 PM
17gs400
Lead Lap

i got rattle problems
Old 02-23-06, 05:41 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

GS4
Old 02-23-06, 09:20 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Faraaz23
Also, how common is the starter problem? I read about it from time to time and it seems extremely expensive to fix, but is this a less common problem with the GS4's?
This is the one problem that really scares me because once the starter goes out, you must get it fixed and it's silly expensive to do so. You do read about it from time to time, but remember, only those people who have starter problems are talking about it. You don't see threads entitled "Just turned 100,000 miles and still have the original starter." That being said, I think it would be really interesting to start a thread devoted solely to this topic -- what year is your car, how many miles to you have on it, do you still have the original starter, and, if not, at what mileage/year of ownership did you replace it.
Old 02-23-06, 09:25 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^the starter on my 95 ES lasted until about 90k miles, then the contacts had to be replaced.
too bad you can't get to the starter on the GS as easy as it is on an ES.
Old 02-24-06, 12:08 AM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by e-man
This is the one problem that really scares me because once the starter goes out, you must get it fixed and it's silly expensive to do so. You do read about it from time to time, but remember, only those people who have starter problems are talking about it. You don't see threads entitled "Just turned 100,000 miles and still have the original starter." That being said, I think it would be really interesting to start a thread devoted solely to this topic -- what year is your car, how many miles to you have on it, do you still have the original starter, and, if not, at what mileage/year of ownership did you replace it.

hehe i just had to replace my starter at 102K!! ended up costing $700 (under warranty!)...and get the GS4....you wont regret the v-8....low idle is not really an issue unless you're planning on putting on an exhaust...good luck!
Old 02-24-06, 04:26 AM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Faraaz23
Hey all,

I'm going to be getting a car withing the next few months, and its between an IS300, GS300 and GS400. Since I probably don't want to spend more than 17-18,000... it'll probably be a 98 or 99 GS400. I've searched and read all the threads on the common problems. I'm not too concerned with headlight condensation or rattles or such. What does concern me is the low idle and starter problems. Since I won't be buying a car under warranty... and i'm going to be a first year medical student.... I won't have the money or the time to take my car in to the dealer several times as they attempt to fix a problem. It seems that some of you who've had the low idle problem have been able to get it fixed, but I'm under the impression that dealers have not been able to fix the problem for many of you after repeated trips and replaced parts. In your objective opinions, do you all think the low idle problem is something that happens to a good portion of the 1UZ GS's (like half or more?). Its ok if I just have to replace something once I guess, I just don't want the nightmare of the dealer trying over and over again, charging me money, and still not being able to fully resolve a problem. What are your opinions on this?

Also, how common is the starter problem? I read about it from time to time and it seems extremely expensive to fix, but is this a less common problem with the GS4's? Thanks everyone.

-Faraaz
PS- I'm going to be moving to Ft. Lauderdale, FL for med school... how are the dealers in the area?
Get the GS400! With your budget, you should have no problem finding a 99 or even newer model. I paid less than $15,000 for a 98 GS400 more than a year and a half ago so 17-18,000 today should buy you at least a 99 if not newer. I have never experienced any of these problems with this car or any of my other Lexus's. All of them have the V8 engine, even the LX470 which is actually shares much of the same engineering. My 1992 SC400 which I've had since June of 1992 is going to roll over to 350,000 miles on my way home today!! I have my camera with me to record the event. Enjoy school, you will look back on these next 4 years as some of the best years of your life (trust me, I know I do!) What school will you be attending? I don't know of any Med School in Ft. Lauderdale, are you going to Univ of Miami School of Med? That seems like a bit of a commute, about 25 miles from Lauderdale. Look for someplace closer to campus, you already mentioned how you don't have a lot of extra time. When I went to school at Michigan, I could walk to class in about 10 or 15 mins.
Old 02-24-06, 05:38 AM
warrendanz
Driver School Candidate

I have had my 98 GS400 for 2 years and I just replaced my starter. I got it with 47K on it and it now has 70K. I have an amazing mechanic who was a friend of a friend. Now he is a friend of mine. Honest and a Toyota freak. I just brought him my gradmothers 94 ES300 to see if I should buy it from her, she is too old to drive and he told me after looking at it for 20 minutes, don't even let her sell it to anyone you know; no charge. He is the best. My starter along with a lot of other maintenance things was $800. No other issues. He is in Delray Beach which is 20 minutes north of Ft Lauderdale. Private Message me for his info. You will love the car.
Old 03-02-06, 06:16 PM
proxybot
Driver School Candidate

the most common problems I've heard/seen on the 98 are:

hood latch cable getting stuck and so it won't close
door lock actuators failing
starter going bad / plunger getting stuck
radio display going whack

I came from a Dodge Neon, where it's top 4 list of problems are oil leaks, blown head gasksets, seals, paint fading and rust.. so, it's comparatively nothing to speak of. No car is going to be perfect , I just expect the important stuff (engine) to work. I got my 98 GS4 121k miles off ebay for $11.5k back in Sep 05 .. and the leather and torque still wows me every time. My only gripe is the gas mileage, but it would have to get to $4 a gallon before I'd consider selling.

Last edited by proxybot; 03-02-06 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03-02-06, 06:22 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing to worrie about when you get the GS4= nothing but happy times
Old 03-02-06, 07:18 PM
amul
Rookie

Originally Posted by 17gs400
i got rattle problems
GS300's rattle too.

I suggest you should save your money , buy yourself a 4cyl accord or camry until you get out of school. If those cars break down, first they rarely break down, they would be relately cheap to fix.

If you got 17-18K to spend, why not buy a new car with warranty if you are worried about common problems with the 300/400. When you get out of med school, residence, and start making big $$$, then buy yourself something nice.

You are asking a rhetorical question about spending money to fix a car which you do not even own . At this time you can afford to spend 17-18K, but fixing the same problem over and over again would be too costly for a med student. Why not avoid it all together by buying new w/ warranty

You definately won't have enough time to pimp while in school. Believe me I know.
Good luck in your decision.

Last edited by amul; 03-02-06 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-02-06, 07:38 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Originally Posted by proxybot
the most common problems I've heard/seen on the 98 are:

hood latch cable getting stuck and so it won't close
door lock actuators failing
starter going bad / plunger getting stuck
radio display going whack

I came from a Dodge Neon, where it's top 4 list of problems are oil leaks, blown head gasksets, seals, paint fading and rust.. so, it's comparatively nothing to speak of. No car is going to be perfect , I just expect the important stuff (engine) to work. I got my 98 GS4 121k miles off ebay for $11.5k back in Sep 05 .. and the leather and torque still wows me every time. My only gripe is the gas mileage, but it would have to get to $4 a gallon before I'd consider selling.

The engine is one of the least likely parts of a car to fail... manufacturers have mastered it. The tranny is actualy much more complicated and more likely to fail...

Any reason why you wouldnt rather have a 98 SC400 instead? i can tell you id love one.

Quick Reply: Should I be worried about the GS4 problems?