GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

please help asap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-06, 11:32 PM
rottweiler
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry please help asap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i was getting my system put in and the guy drilled through the main wires under the dash where the foot pedals are. the car didnt start. so he had to soder the wires and now the car will start but only if u jump start it. we know it has to do with the anti theft system . what do i have to do to get it to work. i didnt have the car for almost 3 days now cuz he screwed up the main wiring. please help me!!!!!!
Old 02-26-06, 12:36 AM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

When I put in stereo for about a year I had a similar problem with an infinity that was in a fire. I was working around the passenger kickpod and after that it wouldnt start, amongst other things. We were obviously responsible for what had happened and sent it to the dealer for inspection. They discovered with their diagnostics that a certain leg was not working. They ultimately found that a large harness wasnt snapped in all the way and when I was doing my work I finished disconnecting it. I knew I didnt mess anything up. But they should be held fully responsible. It is not your problem, it is theirs. Go up there and talk directly with the owner, let him know that you wish to take the car to the dealership for diagnostics on their tab, along with a full replacement of the harness. No soldering BS. gl
Old 02-26-06, 05:49 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

I agree with Lexbox, whoever drilled through the harness needs to step up and have everyhting put back to original, no patchwork.
Old 02-26-06, 06:33 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah i agree if he cut one of the harnessess ...its not your responsibility its his. You shouldn''t settle for a solder job...they should replace the harness...
Old 02-26-06, 07:09 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If its just the harness that has to be replaced than make them replace it for you not patch it up to where you have to go through so much trouble to get the car started. Plus you want peace of mind down the line.
Old 02-26-06, 09:47 AM
salimshah

Received 1,062 Likes on 957 Posts

I some what disgree with the rest.

I am with them that the resposibilty is with the shop.
Best repair is replacement of harness.

So where do I disagree ... One needs to seriously look at the process involved in replacing the harness. Depending on what got cut ... ie if it a point A-to-B and both ends are accessible then surely replace the harness. If on the other hand the harness has multiple drop points and would require a serious rip-up then do reconsider. A bad situation can qucily become worse.

A good solder can be as good as the origional wire. The key is .. twist the wires just like a thread is woven. Then you go over the joint by wrapping it with fine wire perpendicular to the length of the wire (just like thread is wound on the bobbin). Then you solder it. There are two problems with the soldering. Making it environment proof and also if multiple wires are cut then the junction starts becoming thick. A good tech can stagger the joints as well as weather proof it. Also make sure the tech does not introduce tension by reducing the length of the wire.

Salim
Old 02-26-06, 12:27 PM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
I some what disgree with the rest.

I am with them that the resposibilty is with the shop.
Best repair is replacement of harness.

So where do I disagree ... One needs to seriously look at the process involved in replacing the harness. Depending on what got cut ... ie if it a point A-to-B and both ends are accessible then surely replace the harness. If on the other hand the harness has multiple drop points and would require a serious rip-up then do reconsider. A bad situation can qucily become worse.

A good solder can be as good as the origional wire. The key is .. twist the wires just like a thread is woven. Then you go over the joint by wrapping it with fine wire perpendicular to the length of the wire (just like thread is wound on the bobbin). Then you solder it. There are two problems with the soldering. Making it environment proof and also if multiple wires are cut then the junction starts becoming thick. A good tech can stagger the joints as well as weather proof it. Also make sure the tech does not introduce tension by reducing the length of the wire.

Salim

what he said....
Old 02-26-06, 01:32 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would not let them cut or paste nothing. They need to pay for the damage. Get a estimate from the dealer, then show those guys who screwed up your ride. I would not let those guys do the repair either. They might screw it up more.
Old 02-26-06, 01:36 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds like he shorted something out ,when drilling into the wires. I would bring it to the dealer and let them get it up to par. Changing the whole harness could be a messy job with all the work involed. Also if enough componets must be removed, what about an introduction to new rattles and sounds? Sodering is fine, If it is accepted by the ase and i-car standards (2 of the top certification levels of a mechanic and a autobody tech). You would soder wires from an alarm or system install anyway .......well good luck.
Old 02-26-06, 02:45 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

damn thats f-ed up I wouldnt let them try to do a half assed job and get away with it. you gotta look at the long term effect of this screwup. What happens if you need something fixed you take the car to the dealership what will they say when they see that sh#t?
Old 02-26-06, 03:03 PM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder78
damn thats f-ed up I wouldnt let them try to do a half assed job and get away with it. you gotta look at the long term effect of this screwup. What happens if you need something fixed you take the car to the dealership what will they say when they see that sh#t?
exactly...like i said take it to a lexus dealer and let them do the work to get the car up and running and whatever bills are incurred the shop needs to pick up the bill.

Originally Posted by sockfocks
So you would trust the people that cut it and then couldn't figure out how to get the car back to the way it was to do the soldering again... Its already proven that they have no clue what they're doing because the car has issues now even after they attempted to solder it back.

how is it gonna become worse if the lexus dealer (lexus mechanics) are the one's that are going to fix whatever is wrong. Unless the lexus mechanic is incompetent. First and foremost find out from the dealer what is exactly wrong and take it from there.

Then hit the shop with the bill for the f'k up. justr my .02¢
Old 02-26-06, 06:58 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

First, try to get the people that messed it up to get the dealership look at it. If they refuse then you your next bet will to get the dealership to fix it then hand them the bill. Might wind up going to claims court which is why I would suggest have the people that messed it up ok it first.
Old 02-26-06, 08:35 PM
rottweiler
Pole Position

well they replaced the harness but now the car will only start by jump staring it. the anti theft has to be reflashed or something?????????? who can do a reflash and what do they use to do it
Old 02-26-06, 10:51 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rottweiler
well they replaced the harness but now the car will only start by jump staring it. the anti theft has to be reflashed or something?????????? who can do a reflash and what do they use to do it
Dont stress yourself more than you have to. Let them take care of it, its their mess. gl
Old 02-27-06, 10:58 AM
salimshah

Received 1,062 Likes on 957 Posts

Originally Posted by rottweiler
You may have to provide all keys [both master, pocket key and maybe the valet key]. Check with them.

Salim

Quick Reply: please help asap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!