GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Good daily transportation?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-06, 08:19 PM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Give some specs on your (can't believe I'm saying this) TT Z lol
To answer your question: 3 liter V-6, rear wheel steering, speed sensitive steering, 245 width tires ( mine has the Twin Turbo rear wheels on all 4 corners) Rims are directional which draws hot air away from the breaks. In short the car was over built. Its basically a detuned engine as enthusists can see by the performance gains through simple upgrades. The basic stage 3 parts (JimWolf ECU, intake & exhaust) add an additional 100hp to the car. The upgraded ECU turns the boost up from 9psi to 14psi & eliminates the top speed governor (originally 155mph). With stock gearing people have calculated the top speed of the vehicle to be 185. This of course is theory and based on if the car has enough power to overcome wind resistance. One thing that benefits the car was the large amounts of time through R&D that were spent in the wind tunnel.

For those who want to mod the car it is capiable of 575BHP on stock internals! Anything over that and you need to tear into the engine to repalce the 'weak point' cast pistons. The rods and crank are forged. High eleven second passes are capiable with the stock motor and bolt on parts. But I'm personally not one for the drag strip. The car was not designed for such applications. Its better suited for a road course.

With the amount of power the vehicle produces your standard car just doesnt impress me very much. Guess it comes with the car hobby. I would like a luxury car that has toyota reliablity and still some low end torque. The GS 400 I rode in a few years back still has my attention.

I have some more questions for the rest of you guys on the GS4:
What kind of diminished ride quality comes with lowering the vehicle a little and adding 19" wheels? Compared to stock?
With such a large vehicle how are the stock breaks? I see a number of people who do the big break upgrade. Is it really necessary or are the stock breaks really that badly in need of repalcement?
Next.... what would the forum members consider the normal mods that can be done without losing reliability?
How is tread life on tires? Describe your driving style and type of tires you run. (apply treadware numbers if you know)
What difficulty would you consider this engine to work on compared to other vehicles?
Old 02-28-06, 09:03 PM
LexusIV
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cruzinZ
I have some more questions for the rest of you guys on the GS4:
What kind of diminished ride quality comes with lowering the vehicle a little and adding 19" wheels? Compared to stock?
With such a large vehicle how are the stock breaks? I see a number of people who do the big break upgrade. Is it really necessary or are the stock breaks really that badly in need of repalcement?
Next.... what would the forum members consider the normal mods that can be done without losing reliability?
How is tread life on tires? Describe your driving style and type of tires you run. (apply treadware numbers if you know)
What difficulty would you consider this engine to work on compared to other vehicles?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...rtline+springs

That might help answer some of those questions, also as for as ride quality with lowering and bigger wheels it all depends on how you lower it. Tein CS coilovers seem to be held by most on here to be the best riding coilover and some even go so far as to say it rides better than stock. However, that is the more expensive route compared to springs.
These two threads might help answer you question a little better.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/suspension-and-brakes/75055-coilovers-vs-springs-shocks.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=113963

Hope that helps answer some of your questions. I'm sure other members will chime in their thoughts aswell, but this should get you started.