GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

So whos getting the srt sc ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-01, 01:43 AM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Just wondering how many GS guys/girls was going to order the SRT SC stage 1 ?

Me , i am thinking real hard about it ( 50% sure ) . I think the stage 2 is what i really want . And so i might as well wait till later and get what i really want even though i know i can upgrade later . Install it at one time then leave it alone.

Instead spend the money on the TC and lightweight rims right now . That was my plan but since the stage one is on a promo right now my thinking has some what been changed.

Also do you guys think i will get more hp from a srt stage 1 sc + greddy PE or srt stage 1 + l-tuned muffler ? Or it will be even ?

Thanks in advance and appreciate all replies !
Old 08-22-01, 05:45 AM
Bobcat
Pole Position

I'm like you. If I go with SC at all, I will wait until I can afford stage 2 (or 3). Also, maybe the prices will fall a bit more. It just makes my skin crawl to think about laying down over $6K for anything else on my car. I could go out and buy a "beater" for the winter for $6K. Geez.

Don't get me wrong, I crave more power all the time (especially since I had my a** handed to me in that race with a turbo Saab).
Old 08-22-01, 03:52 PM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would prefer turbo charge a bit more than supercharge but that's just me = )

WHERE ARE THE SPECS AND PICS?
Old 08-23-01, 11:32 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

Come on guys . I have 2 replies and 100 views . Wassup with that ?
Old 08-24-01, 12:58 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Well, I would like to have the SC but first I have to get my GS to put it on.
Old 08-24-01, 02:08 AM
SilverGSguy
Pole Position

i'd prefer a turbo, but imo s/c is pretty good for the money.
Old 08-24-01, 09:31 AM
RacingAristo

I'd also prefer to turbo. If I were getting SC, I'd get at least stage 2.
Old 08-24-01, 10:39 AM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Just curious why you guys prefer turbos over SC? I sort of lean toward that direction also, but no one makes one for the GS4.
Old 08-24-01, 11:23 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For a GS400/430, I don't think I'd do a turbo over a supercharger. What I like about superchargers is how clean the installation is. No need to run oil lines and such.

I know that turbos can be tweeked to get some crazy power but seriously, are you going to do all the internal work that your V8 would need in order to really utilize the advantages of a crazy turbo? Besides that, you can't too crazy with the V8 because it's all aluminum...

You have to remember, the main disadvantage of a supercharger is the parasitic drag on the engine, but on a V8 with over 300 lbs of torque, do you really think it's going to make a difference? I KNOW it doesn't. Now on a small displacement 4 cylinder motor, parasitic drag of any sort (even the air conditioner) sucks. In this case, a turbo is advantageous...

Seriously, I'd like to hear why so many people think turbos are always better....

I'm definitely going to do Mo's S/C but I'm going to go Stage 2...good thing my body kit allows for a large intercooler...
Old 08-24-01, 01:41 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by manaray
For a GS400/430, I don't think I'd do a turbo over a supercharger. What I like about superchargers is how clean the installation is. No need to run oil lines and such.

I know that turbos can be tweeked to get some crazy power but seriously, are you going to do all the internal work that your V8 would need in order to really utilize the advantages of a crazy turbo? Besides that, you can't too crazy with the V8 because it's all aluminum...

Seriously, I'd like to hear why so many people think turbos are always better....

Yeah 2JZ's STEEL BLOCK POWER!!!!!!!!!

anyways.

I think people prefer turbo over superchargers because

1) better sound (I mean, who doesn't like BOV sound?)
2) more power (peak gain)
3) hmm....the potential of getting larger turbos and up the boost for more power. Somehow, turbos have more room for upgrades.

those might be wrong, but at least I think most people who prefer turbos over S/C is because of those reasons
Old 08-24-01, 03:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally posted by 1niceride
Come on guys . I have 2 replies and 100 views . Wassup with that ?
You're always going to see more views than responses - many look at every post regardless.

One thing that blows about this S/C upgrade is that Swift has not published any data for it. Why spend $4K with no idea what the improvement is.
Old 08-24-01, 04:06 PM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

haha and it is SOLD OUT, somebody has already spent 4k be4 they know anything about the SC... gosh what a courage/confidence.

I reason i like turbo is its power on high end, and there is way more room to upgrade upon.

Mo's product remains a question mark to me, maybe the area 51 Turbo-Charge, = )
Old 08-24-01, 10:45 PM
bmm89
Driver School Candidate

(Cont. from post in another thread.)
Well, i'm the guinea pig for gs300, ordered and want it to BE KNOWN that i'm either incredibly foresighted, or incredibly nearsighted. Hopefully the former...

GS is not gonna be daily driver in winter, and so will be sitting around in a heated garage.

Also am a "doityourselfer" so we'll see if it only takes 6-8 hours with simple "bolt-on" tools...

Not sceptical, since i've seen actual pics on the is300 kit and since it's the same engine as the gs3, with less room to work with, makes sense that the gs3 should have no problems. Been holding off on intake for this reason, and as far as stage 2, i don't think stage 2 will be "bolt-on" or can't see how it would be for an intercooler w/o modifying the body in some manner. So for me, a stage 1 is a def. sleeper and can do myself for NO installation work, which would probably run $1000 by itself.

Prices for the drag turbo kit in a honda around 3500 shipped for the kit, and about 30-50hrs of work to put it in. Estimate for price installed and tuned is at least $5000 anywhere you look. That is for about 75rwhp with stock internals but larger fuel pump, lowered compression, etc... and that's on a four banger with less than 100rwhp to startout! Doubt the 2jz-ge will have any reliability issues with the kit as such low boost and minimal hp change.
Old 08-25-01, 02:31 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

BMM89, keep us posted about your experience!!!
Old 08-25-01, 05:36 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Globe/Wei - Hehehehe...I'm not really concerned about the BOV (Blow Off Valve) sound of a turbo...I care about BTDOMC (Blowing The Doors Off My Competition)! Quiet is good sometimes...tips off the competition (and cops) less!

More power (peak gain) and "upgrading" is great and all (and they are some advantages to turbos) but like I said, to realize the advantage, you have to do some SERIOUS work to your engine...hi-flo injectors, upgraded fuel delivery system, building out your motor, etc., etc...

How many of these "I want a Turbo only!" people are actually going to build up their car to the point where the advantages of a turbo are realized? I doubt many if ANY. Especially if you have a V8...you'll blow the motor long before you realize the full potential of a turbo! Besides, Superchargers are more maintanance free than Turbos...

Come on, we're driving Lexus cars...not Civics...if you TRULY care about being fast, instead of doing all those mods to your engine, just STRIP YOUR CAR DOWN to the basics. Take out the A/C, interior, insulation, etc., etc...you'll make the car FAST because you'll loose weight...pretty unrealistic, eh? IMO, it's just as unrealistic as 99.99% of the buyers on Club Lexus doing a 900 HP Turbo Charged GS and getting the "advantages" of turbos...plus if you start leaking oil (common problem that I've seen with Turbos), it'll be fun to fix, eh?

I think people have been reading too much Turbo Magazine and playing GT2/GT3 too much!

Hey, don't get me wrong, if I was going to build an all out 1000 HP car, I would probably go with a Turbo, but for street use and occasional "racing" use, I don't think you can beat a S/C...

Bit - I believe that the GS S/C is still under development which is probably why there are no dynos and such...Mo did post information about the IS kit though and like BMM89 said, since the IS and GS3 share the same motor, you'll probably get the same results in a GS3....

Quick Reply: So whos getting the srt sc ?