GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS (2nd Gen) Radio Removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-06 | 09:16 PM
Robert B
Driver School Candidate

Default GS (2nd Gen) Radio Removal

Anyone have any experience removing the standard Premium radio from a GS300/400. My LED is gone and Lexus wants a grand to replace the radio. A firm in San Diego can repair for under $200. but can't find anyone to remove it. Thanks for any tips.
Old 02-27-06 | 10:50 PM
pianovt
Rookie

Originally Posted by Robert B
Anyone have any experience removing the standard Premium radio from a GS300/400. My LED is gone and Lexus wants a grand to replace the radio. A firm in San Diego can repair for under $200. but can't find anyone to remove it. Thanks for any tips.
Robert,

Here is exactly what you need!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=radio+removal

VT
Old 02-27-06 | 10:57 PM
BklynGS
Driver

its very easy...
first pull out the AC vents.... you can use a flat screwdriver or something to pry it out, just be careful not to scratch anything, its kind of a pain in the a$$, but don't worry you wont break anything, the vents are held im by clips, and pull right out.
this gives you access to the top of the radio and AC controls (which are together and will have to be separated later) where you will see two bolts that are holding the radio in place.
Then pull out the ashtray.... it comes out the same way as the AC vents... its held in by clips and pops right out.... just open the ashtray and try to get a hold of it somehow and pull towards you.
when you get the ashtray out, you will see the other bolts that are holding the radio from the bottom. When you get all the bolts out (i think they're all 10mm) you will be able to take the radio and AC controls right out, and then sparate those so you will be able to fix your radio.
Try to do a search you will probably find better write ups on this and with pictures.

Also, you might be able to find a perfectly good stock radio in the GS classifieds that you could just swap with your damaged radio. That might save you some more money. I might even be selling mine from a 2001 GS300 in a month or so, when i get my new eclipse unit.

EDIT: THANKS PIANOVT..... I DIDN'T SEE YOUR POST CUZ I WAS WRITING ALL THIS WHILE YOU POSTED IT

Last edited by BklynGS; 02-27-06 at 11:01 PM.