GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: Best bang for the buck poll
SRT Intake/w ECU
42.86%
LSD
32.65%
High Stall Torque Converter
24.49%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Best bang for the buck poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-06, 12:05 PM
AmooManiaK
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I test drove a GTO not too long ago, and it had one of the best GM interiors I've seen. Not a bad car.
Old 03-02-06, 12:06 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,332 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Back on topic fellas please
Old 03-02-06, 12:09 PM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, I just had a 3.76 LSD installed in my car and I can say that the car is definately quicker. I looked at the same Mods....3.76 LSD, Torque Converter and SRT Intake/ECU. I really wanted to go with the TC but the risk of having a CEL is not worth spending the money installing and un-installing it if I end up with a CEL (I live in the Dallas area and they will require CEL's to be cleared when the car is inspected). The SRT intake/ECU was and still is of interest for me but I put in a K&N filter and am happy enough with that right now. After reading numerous postings on all these items, it appears that the TC would be the first mod I would do if the CEL was not a problem. I would then go with the 3.76 LSD and finally the SRT(mostly because it looks cool when you pop the hood).
Old 03-02-06, 01:04 PM
pavster
Driver

An LSD is an amazing mod that will improve the car's performance dramatically, even without the gear change. The biggest difference will be coming out of slow corners under power. Without an LSD, the weight is transferred to the outside wheel, and the inside wheel will have a tendency to break loose and waste all the torque, keeping you from accelerating. With an LSD, the torque will be transferred to the wheel with traction (transferred is a fancy word -- it will simply go there) and therefore you will be able to accelerate much better. Also on bad road surfaces, a 2 wheel drive (LSD) car will accelerate much better than a 1 wheel drive car (open diff).

-pavel.
Old 03-02-06, 01:54 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TexasGS
OK, I just had a 3.76 LSD installed in my car and I can say that the car is definately quicker. I looked at the same Mods....3.76 LSD, Torque Converter and SRT Intake/ECU. I really wanted to go with the TC but the risk of having a CEL is not worth spending the money installing and un-installing it if I end up with a CEL (I live in the Dallas area and they will require CEL's to be cleared when the car is inspected). The SRT intake/ECU was and still is of interest for me but I put in a K&N filter and am happy enough with that right now. After reading numerous postings on all these items, it appears that the TC would be the first mod I would do if the CEL was not a problem. I would then go with the 3.76 LSD and finally the SRT(mostly because it looks cool when you pop the hood).
I hear ya...my thoughts exactly. That why I have the 3.76 but not a TC. At this stage, if I want faster, I'll just buy something faster...maybe the new gs460 (if and when it comes out)
Old 03-02-06, 08:10 PM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rheiy
I hear ya...my thoughts exactly. That why I have the 3.76 but not a TC. At this stage, if I want faster, I'll just buy something faster...maybe the new gs460 (if and when it comes out)
Man, we are on the same wave length. I am thinking the same thing. Once the new GS460 comes out, it may be time to make the move to a new car. Until then, I am enjoying what I have.
Old 03-02-06, 08:30 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SRT Intake/w ECU
Old 03-03-06, 05:43 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pavster
An LSD is an amazing mod that will improve the car's performance dramatically, even without the gear change. The biggest difference will be coming out of slow corners under power. Without an LSD, the weight is transferred to the outside wheel, and the inside wheel will have a tendency to break loose and waste all the torque, keeping you from accelerating. With an LSD, the torque will be transferred to the wheel with traction (transferred is a fancy word -- it will simply go there) and therefore you will be able to accelerate much better. Also on bad road surfaces, a 2 wheel drive (LSD) car will accelerate much better than a 1 wheel drive car (open diff).

-pavel.
The power out of corners is what has improved the most after the install. I am very pleased. No regrets.
Old 03-03-06, 06:49 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

I haven't had a LSD with TC, .....yet. I'm sure it's wonderful upgrade. I have recently installed the SRT w/ECU from the group buy and it too is a nice upgrade. Now as far as bang for the buck goes, I think I did very well for $425. From what I've read, you're looking at at least 3 times that amount for the LSD with TC. So, far now i'm voting SRT.