GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: Best bang for the buck poll
SRT Intake/w ECU
42.86%
LSD
32.65%
High Stall Torque Converter
24.49%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Best bang for the buck poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-06, 01:16 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Best bang for the buck poll

I want a poll on this one to kill the grumbling and mumbling lol. So which mod will give the best bang for the buck. I got the TRD LSD over the SRT Intake and ECU. I notice the car accelarates out of corners quicker and feels quicker (Mrbig and Iceman330 can attest to that). So what are your thoughts?

Last edited by DASHOCKER; 03-01-06 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-01-06, 01:34 PM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I want a poll on this one to kill the grumbling and mumbling lol. So which mod will give the best bang for the buck. I got the TRD LSD over the SRT Intake and ECU. I notice the car accelarates out of corners quicker and feels quicker (Mrbig and Iceman330 can attest to that). So what are your thoughts?
An LSD will not give you more power, so it will not make you faster.

An SRT intake and ECU upgrade will get you a few more ponies, so it will make you faster.

An LSD will only make you faster if you can't control your foot coming out of a corner and are spinning the tires too much or the traction control is activating too much. LSD is like ABS. If you know how to apply the pressure correctly, you don't NEED them to be as fast or stop as well.
Old 03-01-06, 01:36 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I say that since my SRT will be installed Sat Morning, line that chick of yours next to mine and find out the easy way. Just tell me how my rear end will look (ok maybe passenger door)

lol, and we can go around 'corners' since you feel its quicker.... You know I have a technique to combat that.

I think it may boil down to driver tendencies and race situation since the two mods affect difference performance areas.
Old 03-01-06, 01:45 PM
dmanbluesf
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AZ-GS300
An LSD will not give you more power, so it will not make you faster.

An SRT intake and ECU upgrade will get you a few more ponies, so it will make you faster.

An LSD will only make you faster if you can't control your foot coming out of a corner and are spinning the tires too much or the traction control is activating too much. LSD is like ABS. If you know how to apply the pressure correctly, you don't NEED them to be as fast or stop as well.
Isn't the limited slip a lower ratio though??? Thus aiding in quicker acceleration, but lower top speed (not that anyone gets to the top speed mechanically).
Old 03-01-06, 02:00 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dmanbluesf
Isn't the limited slip a lower ratio though??? Thus aiding in quicker acceleration, but lower top speed (not that anyone gets to the top speed mechanically).
only if you are refering to the 3.76 LSD.....that would make the car quicker. Just adding a LSD wont make it quicker.
Old 03-01-06, 02:07 PM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Good question. I didn't vote...this one is up to those with the mods to vote and comment. I've been wanting to do both but with the 3.76 gear LSD. But if I was to venture a guess...I'd go with LSD (3.76 gear option, though not listed as one of your choices).
Old 03-01-06, 02:10 PM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AZDesertGS
only if you are refering to the 3.76 LSD.....that would make the car quicker. Just adding a LSD wont make it quicker.
Thank you. Exactly. Nothing was mentioned about ratio changes. And ratio changes can go either way depending on the rest of the specs of the car.
Old 03-01-06, 02:25 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I would have like to have seen the torque converter on there. I have the SRT combo and I love it.
Old 03-01-06, 02:49 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd be willing to bet that with two identical stock cars, the car with the 3.76 LSD would kill the car with the SRT intake in a 1/4 mile race.
Old 03-01-06, 03:24 PM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chuckb
I'd be willing to bet that with two identical stock cars, the car with the 3.76 LSD would kill the car with the SRT intake in a 1/4 mile race.
Is that the stock gear ratio? If so, I'd take that bet.
Old 03-01-06, 04:07 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

I didn't specify any specific brand LSD. I just indicted LSD. I will leave the commentary to you guys. Oh..more power doesn't necessary mean faster. You have some 70's muscle cars that have 400 plus horses, but are not quicker than say a Honda Accord V6.. 0-60 I believe gearing is a factor.. Just my 2 cents....
Old 03-01-06, 04:21 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ-GS300
Is that the stock gear ratio? If so, I'd take that bet.
nope-stock is 3.23
Old 03-01-06, 04:30 PM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

I didn't specify any specific brand LSD. I just indicted LSD. I will leave the commentary to you guys.
If you don't ask a specific enough question, how can you hope to get a good answer?
Oh..more power doesn't necessary mean faster.
All other things being equal? Yes it does. And since you're comparing a car with a LSD vs the same car with an intake and ECU upgrade, then more power means faster.
You have some 70's muscle cars that have 400 plus horses, but are not quicker than say a Honda Accord V6..
Gas prices and emissions of the 70s killed the muscle car. HP numbers were rated differently. Cars were much much heavier. etc. BTW: Some argue the peak of the muscle car era was the mid to late 60s. This was before governmental regulations helping the environment took hold and strangled most engine performance.

The reason you're looking for is this thing called power to weight ratio. Generally speaking, a 1200 lb car with 150hp will be much faster than a 4000 lb car with 400hp.
0-60 I believe gearing is a factor.. Just my 2 cents....
All other things being equal? Yes. Gearing can play a factor.
Old 03-01-06, 04:38 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

L.S.D 101 Not the drug.

The purpose of the L.S.D is to control this escaping torque by restricting differential functionality in order that sufficient traction may be maintained with the road surface, and it does this by monitoring the differences in speed and torque at the left and right wheels. In other words, the LSD is an indispensable piece of equipment for sporty driving. Designed to provide maximum traction that is most often lost in hard off-the-line acceleration, L.S.D's. are designed to integrate with your factory transmission. The unit will sense when one wheel starts losing traction due to track/road conditions, hard cornering, and/or torque steer. Once it detects the slippage, it will compensate by shuffling the power from side to side to overcome the loss of traction. This translates into better track or quarter mile times, and more efficient use of the engine's power.
Old 03-01-06, 04:44 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

[QUOTE=AZ-GS300]If you don't ask a specific enough question, how can you hope to get a good answer?All other things being equal? Yes it does. And since you're comparing a car with a LSD vs the same car with an intake and ECU upgrade, then more power means faster.Gas prices and emissions of the 70s killed the muscle car. HP numbers were rated differently. Cars were much much heavier. etc. BTW: Some argue the peak of the muscle car era was the mid to late 60s. This was before governmental regulations helping the environment took hold and strangled most engine performance.

The reason you're looking for is this thing called power to weight ratio. Generally speaking, a 1200 lb car with 150hp will be much faster than a 4000 lb car with 400hp.All other things being equal? Yes. Gearing can play a factor.[/QUOTEI gave you two choices. SRT or LSD. It is up to you to elaborate in your answer as to why one provides more bang for the buck. Ever wrote an essay in school? Once again, I am seeking opinions here.

Quick Reply: Best bang for the buck poll