GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

does anyone with an ivory interior regret their interior choice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-06, 02:11 PM
bazop
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does anyone with an ivory interior regret their interior choice?

I originally wanted a black on black gs, but then I found a deal on a black/ivory so I jumped on it. But now I regret it. I just cannot keep it clean inside. Especially with 3 kids, ever damn little smudge or swipe of dirt shows bigtime. I really wish I would've held out for a black on black. Anyone else feel the same, or what's your secrets for keeping the typical dirt from showing? thanks.
Old 03-01-06, 02:55 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love the Ivory interior. I maintain seats with "Meguiars Rich Leather Wipes" and dash and other plastic with Meguiars "Natural Shine".
If you want to see a pic, let me know.
Old 03-01-06, 03:12 PM
bazop
Rookie

I should have been more specific- my seats are ok, its really the cloth trim- like on the floor around the mats or along the lower door sills that get hit with shoes when getting in and out. I can't stand that the slightest smudges (that wouldn't be as noticeable in black) or stains always show.
Old 03-01-06, 03:14 PM
gapxguy
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was aiming specifically for a Black on Tan GS since a black car is hot enough in the summer, let alone getting inside to sit on black leather.

Stains barely catch on, but if they do they'll rub off instantly since it's leather. But then again I don't have any kids. lol
Old 03-01-06, 03:17 PM
gapxguy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bazop
I should have been more specific- my seats are ok, its really the cloth trim- like on the floor around the mats or along the lower door sills that get hit with shoes when getting in and out. I can't stand that the slightest smudges (that wouldn't be as noticeable in black) or stains always show.

I would have to agree with you there, the carpet IS an issue. I just ordered a set of new floormats.
Old 03-01-06, 06:21 PM
LJGS300
Driver

Smile

Hey Bazop!

I also have the ivory leather in my GS...plus two young kids. I took an old bed sheet and tucked around the seat to keep it clean. I got the idea to do this because my Accord has leather also and the kids complained that the seats were hot in the summer. I just decided to leave it on to keep it clean as well. Nobody can see it since the windows are 20% tint. I also cut small holes in the sheet for the seat belts. This might sound kind of crazy to some, but all I can say is my seats look the same as the first day I bought the Accord.
Old 03-01-06, 06:45 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

i have an ivory interior, the carpet stains and easily visible stains are an issue for me as well but i love the color, keeps the luxury look in tact and black leather is WAY too hot to sit on lol

hey chuck, i'd like to see pics
Old 03-01-06, 06:53 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

You may want to repost in the detailing forum. Some folks who normally don't hang out in the GS forum may have some ideas. Maybe the LX and GX mudslingers can help. Good luck.
Old 03-01-06, 06:56 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts

Ivory lets you know it's dirty. And it's more inviting than black.
Old 03-01-06, 07:17 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had ivory interior, I liked it but it was a little hard to maintain clean. I than started an insane project to convert my car from ivory to blk interior which came out great but was just the biggest pain to complete. I wouldn't suggest it to anyone unless they are ready to spend big bucks to make it look oem. But the outcome is very satisfying especially when other members have sat in the car and just raved how it just looks like a souped up oem look..If your car was blk with tan interior I would lay some blk suede inserts with blk stitching to really make that interior come alive.
Old 03-01-06, 07:20 PM
dsouth
Lexus Test Driver

I have WHite on Ivory & that's why I bought it.
Old 03-01-06, 07:27 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kharizma
hey chuck, i'd like to see pics
all you had to do is ask

btw-If your floor mats are bad, you can try what I did to my ES, it worked well.

take mats out. take nylon bristle scrub brush and laundry detergent. lay mats on driveway and spray them with a high pressure garden hose. once they are wet, work in some laundry detergent and scrub them with the brush. rinse with high pressure(regular garden hose with nozzel). you may have to repeat, then wring them out the best you can and leave them in the sun to dry.
Old 03-01-06, 07:34 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

wow that looks immaculate! mine is so dirty i'm havin' it professionally detailed once i get my bodykit on, how do you not get the speaker covers dirty? mine are dirty constantly from pushing the dirt in and out through the cover.
Old 03-01-06, 10:52 PM
jaja
Pole Position

haven't tried it on my GS, but the oxyclean stuff works wonders on car carpets. It took out the toughtest stains on my bronco. just sprinkle the powder directly on the stain, spray on some water, and bingo.... just like the commercial. the stuff really works! and no i don't work for them.
Old 03-02-06, 04:55 AM
cyclemax
Lead Lap

It's amazing how different the interior colors make the car feel. The black seems so "racy" and cool, but the tan is very warm and inviting. When I look at the pics of Chuck's car, I just want to take off my shoes and relax for the afternoon.

Quick Reply: does anyone with an ivory interior regret their interior choice?