GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

AHHH Took paint off the bumper at the spray wash!?@#$%

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-06 | 10:37 AM
soyhead
Driver

Default AHHH Took paint off the bumper at the spray wash!?@#$%

my heart just dropped

Old 03-04-06 | 10:39 AM
soyhead
Driver

i've always taken my other cars to the pressure wash during the winter when its cold to get the salt off the car and have done a few times with this one, i washed the wifes maxima than took mine there next...had a gut feeling not to wash the car today but said what the h#ll why not
Old 03-04-06 | 10:40 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

sprayed it too close.... sorry to see that
Old 03-04-06 | 10:48 AM
BlackoutGS
Lead Lap

You must have missed the sign that warns users to “keep the spray nozzle at least 6” away from the automobile” while the high pressure gun is rinsing.

Sorry to see what actually happens when you try to get that bug tar off of the front bumper with the high pressure spray.
Old 03-04-06 | 11:50 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

time to repaint the bumper?
Old 03-04-06 | 12:09 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

i always get close to the paint with the high pressure washer.. never happens to me.. better be more careful of that now...

but ouch, that sucks now it's time for a kit!! or repaint
Old 03-04-06 | 01:37 PM
soyhead
Driver

i always get real close to the paint and have never done this with any of my other cars

got a friend who has been getting his bmw worked on a lot at this local shop and i should be able to get the bumpers repainted for under $200 so it aint the end of the world, still sucks
Old 03-04-06 | 01:49 PM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

Pink primer, has the front bumper been repainted? Whatever is underneath that paint doesn't look factory.
Old 03-04-06 | 01:53 PM
soyhead
Driver

Originally Posted by V8_Aristo
Pink primer, has the front bumper been repainted? Whatever is underneath that paint doesn't look factory.
i think so now that you say that...i've owned the car for only 6 months but the carfax was clean but that doesnt mean much, the car i sold to get the gs was in a serious accident but it was only me hitting a guiderail so i drove away, got it fixed on the side for cheap and traded it in for the GS
Old 03-04-06 | 02:11 PM
rklages
Pole Position

looks like it was repainted improperly - the primer would not normally be pink from the factory. Gray primer would have been a better match for you silver car and probably what would be there under the factory paint. Pressure washers can do damage to any paint job, but when the topcoat peels away like that it is a sign of improper bond between the top coat and the primer, either indicating a missing step, like a sealer or improper finishing, like leaving too much time between coating the primer and topcoat. This could also be caused by not using a flex agent on the flexible bumper and a small bump or some flexing from the water spray caused the plastic bumper to flex and the paint to crack and peel.

In any case I would complain if it came from a Lexus dealer, six months or not they sold you a car and should stand behind it, especially if they did not divulge the accident fact. They may at least come good for some of it or give you a good deal on the respray to keep you happy and hope for a returning customer!
Old 03-04-06 | 03:13 PM
soyhead
Driver

Originally Posted by rklages
looks like it was repainted improperly - the primer would not normally be pink from the factory. Gray primer would have been a better match for you silver car and probably what would be there under the factory paint. Pressure washers can do damage to any paint job, but when the topcoat peels away like that it is a sign of improper bond between the top coat and the primer, either indicating a missing step, like a sealer or improper finishing, like leaving too much time between coating the primer and topcoat. This could also be caused by not using a flex agent on the flexible bumper and a small bump or some flexing from the water spray caused the plastic bumper to flex and the paint to crack and peel.

In any case I would complain if it came from a Lexus dealer, six months or not they sold you a car and should stand behind it, especially if they did not divulge the accident fact. They may at least come good for some of it or give you a good deal on the respray to keep you happy and hope for a returning customer!
i got it from a subsidiary of a lexus dealer which is building a new lexus dealership next door to the current location...i am gonna call the dealership monday and try to see what i can do, they actually called yesterday to see how my last service visit where i paid them 117.50 to tell me my radio is bad...i'll mention that i bought it from their younger place and i feel like i am getting horrible service because i didnt buy from the main dealer, i'll let you know how i make out
Old 03-04-06 | 03:18 PM
soyhead
Driver

from the site i got my car, maybe i can bust their ***** first before i go to the big dogs in cherry hill:

ABOUT RICHARDSON IMPORTS

Established in 2004, Richardson Imports was built by the same owners of Lexus of Cherry Hill in Maple Shade N.J., offering some of the area’s finest luxury pre-owned automobiles from our convenient Washington Township location. Rooted in the Lexus tradition of complete customer satisfaction, our mission at Richardson Imports is to provide our customers the highest quality pre-owned vehicles from the most desirable makes at competitive prices.
Old 03-04-06 | 04:19 PM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

yea something that small can make you go mod happy now

becareful on how much you spend ..

you could (have someone) finish the job and claim it
iono

sorry to hear that though
Old 03-05-06 | 07:38 AM
IAGS400
Pole Position

same thing happened to mine.

Old 03-05-06 | 09:00 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

That should not happen. What was in the nozzle, acid? I think that your bumper was repainted at some point and who ever did the paint job didn't prime.

Quick Reply: AHHH Took paint off the bumper at the spray wash!?@#$%