GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS4 vs Audi A6/4.2

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-01, 03:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Recent issue of AutoWeek showed a NEW A6 design, including the new base 220HP engine (I think that was the rating) and a new, pretty amazing, continuously variable transmission.
Old 08-24-01, 04:39 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
A6 4,2 is very nice but I cannot get over that bulbous front end, the factory rims look sweet too, interior has very detailed parts.......
One thing I like about the 4.2 are their big wheels from factory. Lexus should go with their idea and have bigger wheels as a stock setup than those P-U-N-Y 16's.
Old 08-24-01, 04:55 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A6 is not faster than the GS400....S6 is though. This is what I posted on one of my threads:

"Ok, I think I have finally got it.

The rules:

1. Fast = 0 to 60 times
2. 4-door
3. Automatic
4. Mass-produced (no Bugatti or Kabani Type4, etc!)
5. Currently produced (2001 or 2002 models only!)
6. No aftermarket tunning, ONLY in-house (like AMG, no Renntech, etc!)

And here is the list (correct me if I am wrong please):

1. Mercedes C32 AMG 5.1 sec
2. Mercedes E55 AMG 5.4 sec
3. Jaguar XJR 5.4 sec
4. Audi S8 5.4 sec
5. Audi S6 5.7 sec
6. Mercedes S55 AMG 5.7 sec
7. Lexus GS430/400 5.8 sec
8. Mercedes S600 5.8 sec
9. Audi A8 V12 5.8 sec

Is that right? I am not too sure about the Audis. Also, no BMWs on the list...is that a surprise...BMW is only good on manuals...can't wait till Lexus does something with manuals for all you manual people!

And this is interesting also, if you take out all the sport-tuned ones, such as Audi's S, the AMGs, the supercharged ones, and if you eliminate the V12s...what do you have left?

I can't wait till Lexus comes out with L-tuned versions of its cars! Just imagine, the regular GS430 (no mods) by itself stands a place in that list, where would a GS L-tuned be?"

Old 08-24-01, 05:14 PM
ming 2.7T
Driver

You are correct A6 4.2 and 2.7T automatics wouldnt be close, even with the last number of that group.

Some people maybe add one more item to the "list"
AWD- although its heavier and slows the car, some places need to have that capability, and they dont want to get a SUV or truck.
Old 08-29-01, 07:14 AM
Jim Will
Driver School Candidate

Default I pay somewhat regular visits to this forum,but this time I had to reply

Ming provided some excellent information (and rather unbiased at that) about the A6 in comparison to a few other fine luxury automobiles. I also happen to own a 2.7T 6 spd, that is about 99% stock (a drop in K&N filter and upgraded BPV's are all that I've got) I also happen to be one of the fellows who has run 14.4's in bone stock trim. Nothing done to the car other than window tint and mudguards.
I personally love the GS400, and if it were available witha manual transmission, I would be driving one today.
It was tough deciding between a 540 6spd, the A6 2.7T 6 spd, or the GS400. In the long run, the A6 won out, because of the combination of power, agility and the AWD capabilities. The A6 2.7T is definitely an underrated 250 HP, (actual figures are closer to 265-270HP) based upon my et's and mph's, my car was making close to 275 hp. (based upon the standard HP calculators)
So many people underestimate the A6, and I've had my share of skirmishes with GS400 owners. What those who underestimate my car find is that while 300hp is a lot, it's not often enough when you've got a well driven car with a manual transmission and 270 hp next to you, that will never have to worry putting all of that power to the pavement. Personally, I've never seen a GS400 run under 14.5 on the strip in stock trim. All of the ones that I've seen have either an intake, slicks or both.
gsintensive and nanotech's posts make me think that they've never encountered a 6 spd 2.7T driver that's willing to run them..
I'm willing, I live in central NJ. E-town is only a 15 minute drive from my house.
Old 08-29-01, 08:43 AM
GS4K
Driver

Thumbs down HP/Torque Increase for a chip?

Ming,
on one of your post you provided information about stock and after chip hp and torque. Where did you get these numbers because you're referring to hp at the crank not at the wheels. $600 for 65 hp and 100 ft/lbs of torque, if this is true than I would sell my GS400 and buy a 2.7T A6! I've had a '97 TT Supra and no 1 mod got me 65 hp, not even close.
Old 08-29-01, 01:46 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Even if a stock A6 manual could beat a stock GS400 (which I doubt, no offense), GS400 is still a better choice for me because I can't drive manual (yet).

Remember, the list above is of AUTOMATICS.....read the rules of the list...what interests me is the S8 (but is that available in the US?)

Plus I think the GS looks a lot better than any Audi...but some people may think the GS is the ugliest car too, so, that's just personal opinion.
Old 08-29-01, 02:18 PM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the fastest time of a A4 manual is 5.9, the SAME engine 2.7t A6 could only be slower. I have no problem beating one of these. Too bad I live in CA, or I will race you anytime anyday.

plus V8 would smoke your 2.7 no matter what.
modded a6 2.7T is a different story then. but we are talking about Stock aren't we?

Old 08-29-01, 03:34 PM
ming 2.7T
Driver

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gsintensive
[B]the fastest time of a A4 manual is 5.9, the SAME engine 2.7t A6 could only be slower.

While at Carlsbad stock S4 6speed runs 14.1-14.3 and even a 14.8(missed shift). They were not running a Gtech to get the 0-60 time though. I have seen slips from 13.9's from stock S4 manuals but that would be a "best" time and not the average.

Stock A6 2.7T 6 speed - Jim W ran 14.4 but no gtech time was recorded at the track to get the 0-60. Most A6 manuals stock, run ~14.6-14.7 range.

Stock automatic A6 2.7T would run 14.9 "best case" and mostly 15.0's to 15.2's. That first 60' is a killer!!!! Best 0-60 time we got with a stock A6 Tip was 6.45 secs(gtech).

I dont know what the weight diff is between the S4 and A6 manual, but on the Tiptronic cars S4/A6 it is only 100lbs difference. S4 is a heavy car.

A6 not a drag racer or a track car, just a family sedan. But sometimes fun to play with.

Just some info.

Too bad your far away from So cal, we all could meet up at Carlsbad some Saturday and have some fun.
Old 08-29-01, 04:19 PM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ming 2.7T
[B]
Originally posted by gsintensive
Too bad your far away from So cal, we all could meet up at Carlsbad some Saturday and have some fun.

HEy Ming, I am rite in IRvine, and I bring my teammates to cruize a lot in the area, why don't you join us and we all have some fun? last time we set up some races between 528 vs GS300, or Mutang GT with GS430/400 all in all, having different kinds of car are all fun!!!

so Join us next time Ming, I wanna see your 2.7t rocks hard !!

Old 08-29-01, 05:21 PM
ming 2.7T
Driver

We should try to set up a saturday and head down to the drags. Maybe the 2nd or 3rd weekend September. Gotta check to make sure the Outlaw series isn't running that weekend- gets crowded.
As far as meeting , thats fine too, just give me some advance warning and I will try to make it.

I work in Irvine on Alton between Red Hill and Von Karmen.
Old 08-29-01, 07:21 PM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

great, I live in Villa Siena, Jamboree and michelson, you can't miss it = )
Old 08-29-01, 07:56 PM
ming 2.7T
Driver

Used to work at the Parker Bldg corner Michelson and Jamboree
Old 08-30-01, 06:25 AM
Jim Will
Driver School Candidate

Default 1SICKLEX, thanks, you make lots of sense

for a GS400 driver...

Seriously though, I grow weary of the "Pi$$ing" contests that go on in auto forums.
Bottom line: All of the cars we drive are top-notch automobiles, they all do more than 75% of the cars on the road cannot.
1. Transport 4/5 people in complete comfort
2. Haul themselves from standstill up to highway speeds at the drop of a hat
3. Run down the Interstates without breaking a sweat at speeds that will send the driver directly to jail "without passing GO!!"

We're priviliged to drive the autos that we do, they're not exactly inexpensive, and not everyone can afford one.

What I like to do is openly challenge guys who think they're car is faster than mine, like you said "'Cuz Car and Driver said so". I'm willing to put it all out on the pavement on a dragstrip, and if I lose, I lose. No harm, no foul. But, I put more emphasis on the driver than the car. I have one of the faster times for a car of my make, so either my car is more powerful, or I'm a slightly better driver of my type of car than the others. Either way, I emerge victorious more than I don't. I'm very amazed by those comments from people that have never run their car down a track before to have any idea of how fast it is with them driving. (I do have several timeslips as proof)
With the slight modifications I've made, my car is faster than before. I've only run once since the mods, and that was on a day that was 40 degrees hotter (with higher humidity) and on a track that has a slight uphill grade (I had to hold my foot on the brake to prevent rolling backwards from the tree!!Not easy to do when trying to launch a stick!!:eek: ) My race weight was 200lbs heavier than it was on my best runs (I had luggage in the trunk because I was on vacation). I managed to run .3 slower than my best times, but I expected that. So, even though I shouldn't do it, I do on occasion meet up on the streets with GS400's, and 540's. What's funny about it is the drivers usually laugh at me and think that they'll smoke me. When I launch at 3000rpm (like I do on the strip when I pull a 2.0 60' time) I'm usually 2-3 cars ahead of them across the intersection. When you give up that much of a headstart, you'll need more than 300hp to catch me within a 1/4 mile.

I value the driving experience more than sheer acceleration. I love attacking the deserted 2 lanes, tossing my land barge (it weighs almost 4100 lbs with driver) around like it was a Mustang. I've learned how to drive with quattro like it was my best friend. I'm able to keep up with more cars than I would think I could, perhaps because I'm a more skilled driver than the other person.
What never ceases to amaze me is the driver of a fine automobile (lets just take a 540i driver for arguements sake) that knows they've got a bad a$$ed car, but hasn't got a clue how to launch it, or to sashay it through the twisties. I will lay waste to him, and so would a GS400 driver (perhaps even a GS300 driver that knows his stuff would embarass him). I love to drive, and I love my car, therefore: I love to drive my car...
Now, in defense of all that's been posted here:
I still like the GS400, I'm looking for another fast 4dr, and I'm thinking (seriously) about picking up a used one. The wifey is trying to get me to pick up a 2seater convertible (because she'll look so cute/sexy sitting in a convertible Vette :eek: )
In the GS, I'd put an exhaust on it, a chip, and slap some slightly oversized tires on it, and call it a day. With practice, I know I could put it in the high 13 range. With some springs, I'd be able to carve corners with the best of them. I'd be enjoying that car to it's fullest.

But in either event, if anyone wants to hook up with me, I'll gladly go with them to E-town. I just need a few more weeks (just came back off the honeymoon, and I'll be honeymooning at home for a little longer) I'd like to see what times that the guys in stock GS400/430 can pull.
NIce chatting with you guys, and if you don't mind, I'll still drop in from time to time.
Old 08-30-01, 12:50 PM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

nice to have you here, variety always means more objectivity. I wish i can run with your awsome A6 sometimes. you have 2.7t or 4.2?

Quick Reply: GS4 vs Audi A6/4.2