GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

TRD Carbon Fiber Grill

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-01, 02:08 AM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks very cool..
Old 08-25-01, 02:52 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That grill looks very nice!
Old 08-25-01, 05:19 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a note to everyone, the TRD "Carbon Fiber" grille is, unfortunately not actual Carbon Fiber...it's just painted to look like Carbon Fiber (hence the great price!). The "TRD Sport" emblem usually come detatched...(I too would skip this emblem)

The build quality of the grille is excellent. Nice rubber seal around the top, fits in tight (which is good). Everything lines up (the holes, the hood lever mount, etc.). Just use your stock nuts (there's like five or six plus two for the hood lever). The mesh is very nice also.

Can't beat it for the price, I just wish it was REAL Carbon Fiber (Hell, I'd pay 2x as much to get it in REAL Carbon Fiber)...I'm painting mine black BTW...can't live with the painted CF look...

Again, many thanks to Steve Ganz for sourcing these for us and selling them at great prices!
Old 08-25-01, 08:56 AM
RacingAristo

manaray,

Thanks for the info. That is kind of a disappointing news.
Old 08-25-01, 09:40 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by manaray
Just a note to everyone, the TRD "Carbon Fiber" grille is, unfortunately not actual Carbon Fiber...it's just painted to look like Carbon Fiber (hence the great price!). The "TRD Sport" emblem usually come detatched...(I too would skip this emblem)

The build quality of the grille is excellent. Nice rubber seal around the top, fits in tight (which is good). Everything lines up (the holes, the hood lever mount, etc.). Just use your stock nuts (there's like five or six plus two for the hood lever). The mesh is very nice also.

Can't beat it for the price, I just wish it was REAL Carbon Fiber (Hell, I'd pay 2x as much to get it in REAL Carbon Fiber)...I'm painting mine black BTW...can't live with the painted CF look...

Again, many thanks to Steve Ganz for sourcing these for us and selling them at great prices!
Hey Manaray,

Why not just buy the JDM one in black? It probably will cost the same if not more to repaint it than to buy the JDM one in black.

Just a thought.

Brent
Old 08-25-01, 12:46 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default Looks like TTE

That grille also looks like the TTE (Toyota Team Europe) one. Not sure about the mesh being identical, but it's a clean look. If I had chrome emblems I'd do it, but my black pearl (Platinum Series) badging will get lost in the mesh. I dunno, maybe if I get bored I'll pick one up. Does any one know if that spoiler that someone posted a few weeks ago is "painted" Carbon Fiber or real?? It too looked like a TTE item.
Old 08-25-01, 02:42 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by BLiu

Hey Manaray,

Why not just buy the JDM one in black? It probably will cost the same if not more to repaint it than to buy the JDM one in black.

Just a thought.

Brent

They're different shapes, and TRD one comes with TRDsports emblem. OEM doesn't.
Old 08-25-01, 09:36 PM
dominick
Rookie

thanks for posting those pics. that's a great looking grill.

dogonit there goes another piece of equipment to put on the list. cant wait to get this one bolted on. oh yeah, i'm not usually into a whole lot of emblems and signs and stickers but i actually like the trd symbol on it, think i'll leave mine on.

i think it'll go good with the ltuned badging which i also liked. anyway, i'll be really glad to be rid of that big a$$ L on the front.
Old 08-25-01, 11:27 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Brent - Well I figured what the hell, I'm going to have the whole front end repainted when I get my body kit installed so it's not gonna cost me much more to get it done (plus my paint/install will be partially sponsored anyways)

Racing Aristo - Yes, it was disappointing but hell, the grille is only $230 and it's top notch in terms of quality...I have been looking at the grille for the past few days and when it's on the car (my car is black), it doesn't really look bad even with the painted CF finish...you can hardly see it so it just looks like a slightly off black...

Emblems - Honestly for me, the L-Tuned emblem would be the LAST logo I put on my car. I know I'll get a lot of crap for this but let's face it, L-Tuned is NOTHING like AMG or M...those badges mean something. L-Tuned, compared to those two, is kinda embrassing. It's like a wannabe tuner...

Now if L-Tuned grew some ***** and incorporated more TRD stuff (like the sways, STBs, a supercharger, etc., etc.) under it's label, then I'd consider it...but right now, L-tuned, to me, is a joke...hell, they don't even offer a full body kit...just side skirts...and they have what, 2 wheel designs that aren't even their own design (and they max out at 18"...weak)...at least with companies like Carlsson, Brabus, Hartge, Hamann, etc., all offer their own unique items (for more than just ONE car within a brand) PLUS they do REAL tuning...until L-Tuned becomes something like that, they're just a joke to me...why would I want to advertise that on my car?
Old 08-25-01, 11:40 PM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

exactly I rahter put TRD emblem on. = P

Manaray you going to put the Lexus L symbol in the center of the grill? it looks nice ^^
Old 08-25-01, 11:50 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

gsintensive - Nah, I'm not doing TRD or any extra L logos. I just have my stock Lexus logos out back and that's all I really need...until a real all encompassing Lexus Tuner brand pops up (one that offers engine tuning, wheels, aero kits, suspension, etc., etc.), I'm not big on advertising for other people unless I'm either sponsored/getting paid or I have some sort of interest in them (they're my friend's company or I work for them or something along those lines)...I let the car do the talking...not the stickers
Old 08-26-01, 10:15 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by manaray
Emblems - Honestly for me, the L-Tuned emblem would be the LAST logo I put on my car. I know I'll get a lot of crap for this but let's face it, L-Tuned is NOTHING like AMG or M...those badges mean something. L-Tuned, compared to those two, is kinda embrassing. It's like a wannabe tuner...
manaray, I understand what you're saying about L-Tuned not being as well known as the european type tuners, but every company has to start somewhere. Without our support (and in this case advertisement), they may never get to be a major player and just dwindle away, then we have one less option.
Hope this makes sense. I'm not a big sticker kind of guy, so I don't support the big names in that sense, but in the case of the little guy, if it's a good product, let's help 'em out so they won't stay little for long Not trying to preach, just sharing an alternative view
Later.
Old 08-26-01, 02:50 PM
dominick
Rookie

if you believe in the company enough to buy their parts and install them on your ride i see no problem with going with their emblems especially if they come with your kit.

however, i wouldnt dream of putting emblems of any kind on without the installed product to back it up.

getting back to the topic yes, i (still) like the grill. in fact i just saw a bunch of these at the norcal meet, although all of them were on the is3's.
Old 08-26-01, 06:53 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Mumbles - I complete understand and agree with you on your point of view for the most part, but the difference is, is that L-Tuned is not some small company. They're TRD. And they already have all sort of cool stuff for our Lexos yet the wimped out and only offered basically cosmetic upgrades (and half-*** ones at that) for the L-Tuned series. Why doesn't the L-Tuned cars have the upgrades Sways and STB's? It's RIDICULOUS and I can't back a half-*** company like that.

It may improve later but their first effort was WEAK at best. Not something I'd be willing to back up...know what I mean?

As far as having L-Tuned as an option...I don't think they are much of an option. Lsportline is more of a option than L-Tuned IMO...at least they have their own wheels and a complete body kit and a brake kit...we need a REAL Lexus tuner...due to the factory holdback, I don't think L-Tuned will ever get to same level as the Euro tuners...