GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Gas additives, cleaners, and...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-06, 07:14 AM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I use products recommended at bobistheoilguy.com called Fuel Power and Lube Control. The Fuel Power increased my MPG on my old Accord by 1.8 MPG and the Lube Control extended my Oil Change Interval (I do primarily short mileage trips which is hard on oil) based on several oil analysis. I can't give specific improvements on my GS400 since I have been using both products every day since I bought the car.
Old 03-10-06, 07:27 AM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Is this hearsay on burning fuel injector ends and spark plugs or is there evidence?...being that the fuel injectors are not inside the combustion chamber. I would debate the spark plugs also. The only thing I know of that will melt spark plugs are lean mixtures, detonation, and high engine temps.

Last edited by sockfocks; 03-10-06 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-10-06, 11:22 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've been using this http://www.auto-rx.com
Old 03-10-06, 11:34 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by nubie400
Imo lucas oil additive is great.... the octane boosters are ok .. i only add that when i dont see a shell gasoline station and i know the gas might be crappy at 91 octane....

If you do an oil change DO NOT waste your time adding it in esp.. when they are bout to drain it haha

do after a new oil change , service everything such as plugs,maybe a fuel filter ? if you havechecked in a while ect.....
i just thought that they run the engine to normal operating temperature before draining oil
that way, the additive will get a chance to get into every corner of the engine probably

then when they drain it, they can drain the sludge out
just my thoughts but im probably wrong

i plan to take my car to the dealership for a service at 19000 miles which is coming up soon
Old 03-10-06, 12:11 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sockfocks
Is this hearsay on burning fuel injector ends and spark plugs or is there evidence?...being that the fuel injectors are not inside the combustion chamber. I would debate the spark plugs also. The only thing I know of that will melt spark plugs are lean mixtures, detonation, and high engine temps.
That came straight from the techs at Toyota. I added some of that crap to my Camry when i still had it and a few days later it started to misfire. I took it to Toyota (before I started to learn about cars) and had to replace all the plugs and injectors. I asked to see the parts that needed to be replaced and sure enough, two of the four injecter ends were charred and two spark plugs from DIFFERENT cylinders were either burnt or had heavy soot.

You dont have to take my word for it... try it out for yourself and see what happens. But Octane Booster does exactly what the name implies... Increases the octane level.
Old 03-10-06, 12:55 PM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Stage3
That came straight from the techs at Toyota. I added some of that crap to my Camry when i still had it and a few days later it started to misfire. I took it to Toyota (before I started to learn about cars) and had to replace all the plugs and injectors. I asked to see the parts that needed to be replaced and sure enough, two of the four injecter ends were charred and two spark plugs from DIFFERENT cylinders were either burnt or had heavy soot.

You dont have to take my word for it... try it out for yourself and see what happens. But Octane Booster does exactly what the name implies... Increases the octane level.
OH no....wont try it for myself. Sounds like a real rich mixture caused the heavy black soot, somehow caused by the additive. wow....
Old 03-10-06, 02:31 PM
JCW
Rookie

So has anyone figured out if its better to a) fill your car with Premium gas or b)get regular gas and get an octane booster?

I wonder which would be cheaper, hmmmm...?
Old 03-10-06, 02:49 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

obviously it'd be better to just get premium gas since as said above the octane boosters and such only damage your car... so in the long run, it'd be cheaper for just premium, so you won't have to buy new injectors and spark plugs as you would if you added octane booster...

now, i have a question... i used octane booster a few times, but haven't been doin' it lately, of the 2 years i've had the car, i've probably put octane booster in maybe 5-6 times at the most, now would it be recommended that i change my injectors and plugs now? or are they still alright due to the fact that i hardly used octane boosters often before?
Old 03-10-06, 03:45 PM
JCW
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kharizma
obviously it'd be better to just get premium gas since as said above the octane boosters and such only damage your car... so in the long run, it'd be cheaper for just premium, so you won't have to buy new injectors and spark plugs as you would if you added octane booster...

Thanks, I was thinking the same...
Old 03-10-06, 06:55 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah thats what i seen I was told its never safe to add any thing to your motor oil
Old 03-10-06, 07:31 PM
kpuri
Rookie

BG44k.
BG44k.
BG44k.
Old 03-11-06, 11:37 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

how is the Techron concentrate cleaner made by Chevron?
Old 03-11-06, 03:44 PM
JCW
Rookie

Originally Posted by UberNoob
how is the Techron concentrate cleaner made by Chevron?
I was looking at the same item at Costco, today...thoughts anyone?
Old 03-13-06, 11:48 AM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

someone in a different thread mentioned they use chevron, they said it was pretty good, but i don't know.. it'd be good to get more insight into that product... looks like it'd do well?
Old 03-15-06, 01:15 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

in another forum i read that BG44K is the same as techron
but much more concentrated

is that true?

Quick Reply: Gas additives, cleaners, and...