GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS400: I'm starting to hate it already (kinda long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-06, 01:13 PM
BmoreGS4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am i the only who thinks a starter going bad after 2 weeks is a sign of a BAD sale...I mean there should be some recourse because starters just dont go bad there are signs (my starter died and i saw the signs but were in denial for about a month b4 the actual death)...Lex is VERY reliable built like tanks don't let this make you hate the brand...Also starter change done in secret location + Rushing because of hiding from parents= DISASTER just be up front homie...

THE GS MUST LIVE!!!!
Old 03-16-06, 01:21 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Actually I dont hate the car. I was overreacting. lol.

The car started fine today (3 out of 3 tries). Perhaps it's just the starter relay.

On the good note though, I just spent $24 on front tire balancing through discount tires (using Hunter Road force machine) and now the car is so smooth that a baby's butt would envy. No more shakey steering at ~70mph!

I guess everything is okay so far. The starter incident only happened like 4 times, and it was within a 2 day period. Now it's perfectly fine after many starts. Oh yea, I tightened up the battery terminal also!

:
Old 03-16-06, 01:46 PM
BmoreGS4
Pole Position

I'm happy for you, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it might still be your starter just take it to advanced auto parts for a free diagnostic 2 make sure...Mine worked fine for a week before it finally died just my .02
Old 03-16-06, 02:06 PM
GSteg
Rookie

How do they test starters?
Old 03-16-06, 03:12 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

more starter lessons i picked up as my starter died: if your car sits for over 2 days at a time and you dont start it, it might become harder for it to start when you try, like mine did.
Old 03-16-06, 05:07 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i bet the seller knew something was amiss. maybe he didn't know it was the starter, maybe he did- either way- not telling someone who is going to buy the car... is not a nice thing to do.
Old 03-16-06, 05:52 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Perhaps it's just the starter relay.
sorry to be frank, but it's just going to keep getting worse.

it's the starter solenoid, and it's part of the starter, which means the starter must be removed to fix. the oem solenoid kit is about $15,but getting to starter is the hard part.

glad the balance smoothed things out
Old 03-16-06, 05:54 PM
GS42NV
Pole Position

well i was looking at the same car Gsteg bought, and the owner told me about it. He said that after it sat for a few days that it would take a couple tries to get the engine to turnover, but would be fine once regularly driven. That car also has the TPS issue as well, but the owner said that he hadn't low idled once since his last throttle body replacement (i believe there were three lol). Either way, it appears the starter is the only issue with that car at this time. And for a car thats 7 years old with 125K miles on it, its justifiable that starters will start to go out. But the car still is almost immaculate, and I would've bought the car had my insurance not wanted to stick the car up my *** in insurance for it
Old 03-16-06, 06:07 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus_gs4
well i was looking at the same car Gsteg bought, and the owner told me about it. He said that after it sat for a few days that it would take a couple tries to get the engine to turnover, but would be fine once regularly driven. That car also has the TPS issue as well, but the owner said that he hadn't low idled once since his last throttle body replacement (i believe there were three lol). Either way, it appears the starter is the only issue with that car at this time. And for a car thats 7 years old with 125K miles on it, its justifiable that starters will start to go out. But the car still is almost immaculate, and I would've bought the car had my insurance not wanted to stick the car up my *** in insurance for it
Hmm. I've been watching this thread closely (and I feel incredibly bad and partly responsible because I was the one who told GSteg to hold out for the exact car he wanted and not to settle). I wonder if the seller told GSteg what he told you about the starter issue. Either way, I agree that 7 years/125,000 miles is not bad for a starter. As we all know, no one is complaining about how long the starter lasts, but rather, the fact that Lexus designed the car in such a way that it costs an arm and a leg in labor to replace it.

On a related note, I was thinking about something. Replacing the timing belt, like replacing the starter, is very labor intensive. Does anyone know if it's any easier to replace the starter while you're replacing your timing chain? Everyone says you should replace the water pump when you replace the timing belt because it's right there, but what about the starter? Is it anywhere close by? If so, maybe it would make sense to replace the starter while doing you're 90k service. It's bound to go out sooner or later, right?
Old 03-16-06, 06:45 PM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by e-man
Hmm. I've been watching this thread closely (and I feel incredibly bad and partly responsible because I was the one who told GSteg to hold out for the exact car he wanted and not to settle). I wonder if the seller told GSteg what he told you about the starter issue. Either way, I agree that 7 years/125,000 miles is not bad for a starter. As we all know, no one is complaining about how long the starter lasts, but rather, the fact that Lexus designed the car in such a way that it costs an arm and a leg in labor to replace it.

On a related note, I was thinking about something. Replacing the timing belt, like replacing the starter, is very labor intensive. Does anyone know if it's any easier to replace the starter while you're replacing your timing chain? Everyone says you should replace the water pump when you replace the timing belt because it's right there, but what about the starter? Is it anywhere close by? If so, maybe it would make sense to replace the starter while doing you're 90k service. It's bound to go out sooner or later, right?
Hey Eric, timing belt and starter are on oposite side, so it will be timing belt and starter, all separate jobs
Old 03-16-06, 08:30 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Actually I did ask the previous owner about the starter before i bought the car and he said the car did have that problem once a month, but was able to start the engine after the second try.

Then again, i didn't think of how much it'd cost to fix the starter.

So total of 8 times i tried to start the car today, it starts up each and every time. The car didn't take long to crank. It was about 2-3 cranks before the engine runs.
Old 03-17-06, 01:57 AM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I checked this car out for lexus_gs4 too, and honestly it’s not that big of a problem.. Like I understand your situation.. Moneys tight and so on.... but your driving a 50+k vehicle there buddy, If it was a civic which most of us young'ins should be driving we wouldn’t have to worry about such expenses...
You gotta pay to play... U wanna roll like a baller, you gottta pay... I have sunken soo much $$ in my pile but you know what no one stood there with a gun and forced me to buy this car....

My honest opinion if it does eventually start, and its just a mere inconvenience leave it until you can afford to change it... its not gonna kill ya to crank it 3 times to get it fired up.... save up and do it when you have the cash.... if your willing to come to the valley... I'll be more than happy to try and source you the part for as cheap as I can and refer you to my mechanic who does an awesome job for very little cash..... So let me know if I can help...

Oh yea and the shimmy.. That has to be the tires/balancing because when I drove this car he had no such issues, I also know another shop here that I can refer you to and they will flip/remount/balance all your tires for like 10-15 bucks…

Tommy
Old 03-17-06, 02:17 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Honestly, I think my problem is a bit blown out of proportion. The first time that it happened, it was on a raining day and when i checked the battery the next day, the terminal was a bit wet and had rusted (or the water contained rust).

I changed the battery and then from that day, it only happened once. I checked the battery voltage at the terminal and it was 12.5v (without the car running). This morning, I found out the positive battery terminal was just a bit loose, so I tightened it up. So far no problem.

The previous owner before had the starting issue about once a month. Then again, when i bought the car, the rust problem was there already so hopefully that was just it and that now it's back to normal. Knock on wood please
Old 04-08-06, 11:09 AM
GSteg
Rookie

ok it finally went out today
Old 04-08-06, 11:34 AM
GSteg
Rookie

$730 for a whole new starter replacement. that's parts and labor.

$500 for new starter contacts. parts and labor included.

The lexus independent shop said since my car has 126k miles already, he wants to let me know that the job is not guarantee if the car does not start in the new future because the starter is getting old.

Worth the extra $230?

Quick Reply: GS400: I'm starting to hate it already (kinda long)