GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS400: I'm starting to hate it already (kinda long)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-06, 11:41 AM
lightwave76
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GSteg,

I also had the starter issue with my car and the contacts being bad. Instead of worrying about if the starter may go bad in the future I just replaced the starter and the contacts. I did not get a starter from Lexus. I went on Ebay and got an NSA starter which ran be about $180. As far as the starter contacts and the other gaskets needed for the stater install I got them through Carson Toyota. the Starter contacts and gaskets are not too much, around $80 or so I think.

Chris
Old 04-08-06, 11:46 AM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
$730 for a whole new starter replacement. that's parts and labor.

$500 for new starter contacts. parts and labor included.

The lexus independent shop said since my car has 126k miles already, he wants to let me know that the job is not guarantee if the car does not start in the new future because the starter is getting old.

Worth the extra $230?
In a word, yes. Do it once, and do it right the first time, particularly if you plan on keeping the car for a while. Other than some annoying squeeks and rattles, this is really the only major problem that many have had with the cars (as you already know). Just my .02.
Old 04-08-06, 11:51 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

ok ok ok. new starter it is lol
Old 04-08-06, 11:56 AM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

ok ok ok. new starter it is lol
Other than the starter, how's the car?
Old 04-08-06, 11:58 AM
Mr GS400
Pole Position

This thread is becoming an epic.

Bite the bullet and get the entire starter replaced. Find a way to have the work done by a competent mechanic (Lexus or otherwise) who will guarantee it.

Lexus repairs are generallly expensive. If your pocket book can't handle the 'occasional' hit then sell your car and buy an inexpensive ride until you're able to afford the painful sting of 'high end' auto repairs.

What ever you do good luck!

Old 04-08-06, 12:01 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by e-man
Other than the starter, how's the car?

I love it.
Old 04-08-06, 12:02 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mr GS400
This thread is becoming an epic.

Bite the bullet and get the entire starter replaced. Find a way to have the work done by a competent mechanic (Lexus or otherwise) who will guarantee it.

Lexus repairs are generallly expensive. If your pocket book can't handle the 'occasional' hit then sell your car and buy an inexpensive ride until you're able to afford the painful sting of 'high end' auto repairs.

What ever you do good luck!

I can afford the repair. I'm just debating whether i should just get the starter replaced, or the contacts, since the contacts are what's gone.
Old 04-08-06, 12:08 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can afford the repair. I'm just debating whether i should just get the starter replaced, or the contacts, since the contacts are what's gone.
if you're doing the labor yourself and/or the starter is easy to get to I'd say just do the contacts, but since are are already paying that much for install you may as well get the new starter like e-man says.
Old 04-08-06, 01:16 PM
GSteg
Rookie

I brought my car to a shop that's does a lot of work on toyota/lexus. $600 out the door.

Picking up my car tuesday because lexus has to order the part on monday, and then they'll receive it on tuesday.

I'm so relieved now. Hopefully this is the only major thing I have to do.

I'd do it myself, but it's going to rain all week next week
Old 04-08-06, 03:22 PM
GS42NV
Pole Position

hey fyi, chris performed the 90k service a little early on your car (i believe it was in the 60k range), so just keep this in the back of your head when thinking service requirements (just dont want you to think its ok til 180K, and boom something bad happens).

but with these cars, this should be the only major problem you should face until the next big service. seems like theres been no low idle issue while you've had the car too, which almost makes me jealous i never picked up this ride.

but hey, i might've found a ride out in riverside county ('98 GS4 89k miles, black on black, Nak/Hid, ask $17k). probably gonna go check it out sometime next weekend, maybe i might just drive it home with me
Old 04-08-06, 03:52 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexus_gs4
hey fyi, chris performed the 90k service a little early on your car (i believe it was in the 60k range), so just keep this in the back of your head when thinking service requirements (just dont want you to think its ok til 180K, and boom something bad happens).

but with these cars, this should be the only major problem you should face until the next big service. seems like theres been no low idle issue while you've had the car too, which almost makes me jealous i never picked up this ride.

but hey, i might've found a ride out in riverside county ('98 GS4 89k miles, black on black, Nak/Hid, ask $17k). probably gonna go check it out sometime next weekend, maybe i might just drive it home with me
DUUUDDEE>. get it and we can have a mini-blk/blk meet in OC.

why would chris perform the 90k miles at 60k?
Old 04-13-06, 04:32 PM
GS42NV
Pole Position

DUUUDDEE>. get it and we can have a mini-blk/blk meet in OC.

why would chris perform the 90k miles at 60k?

i realllllly dont know. i think it might have been done because of his TPS problem (this is only a guess). but i remember that when i specifically asked about the 90k service, he said he had done it several years ago after the 60k mark.

im in the same boat as you were a lil while ago. the car im looking at is CLEAN, but a tad bit out of my price range. lemme get the rest of CL's opinion on this:

for a 99 GS400, Black/Black, Nak/HID, spoiler, 17's. 90k miles, how much would you pay????

Edmunds lists it at 14,200
KBB says 15.7
NADA says 16.0

i figured if hes done the 90k service then 15k is fair. if not then 14k.

what do ya'll think??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

thanks for the help!
Old 04-13-06, 09:00 PM
GSteg
Rookie

he showed me the invoice for the 90k and it was done around 90k at long toyota. i guess I'm good to go for a long time. lol

15k seems like a good deal. i would pay that much for only 90k miles.
Old 04-14-06, 06:34 AM
LEXITT
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dx3
OK,

Are you sure it is not your battery cables that are the problem??

Are you rotors warped?

Jonny
Sorry to hijack the thread, but my steering wheel vibrates everytime i go over small bumps, and my rotors are warped. When i brake it vibrates like crazy, but can warped rotors cause the steering wheel to vibrate even if i dont brake?

Thanks
Old 04-14-06, 06:52 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXITT
Sorry to hijack the thread, but my steering wheel vibrates everytime i go over small bumps, and my rotors are warped. When i brake it vibrates like crazy, but can warped rotors cause the steering wheel to vibrate even if i dont brake?

Thanks
I would start out with new pads and new or turned rotors and then see how it rides.

Quick Reply: GS400: I'm starting to hate it already (kinda long)