GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS400: I'm starting to hate it already (kinda long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-06, 02:03 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
Default GS400: I'm starting to hate it already (kinda long)

As some of you know, I got my car two weeks ago. It's a black on black GS400 (fav. color combo). It's a nice car and all, but I'm already starting to have problems with it.

Last weekend when it was raining here in socal, my car wouldn't start. I was stuck at my grandma's house until the car started back home. Next day I diagnosed the car myself and the battery was leaking so I thought that was the problem. I replaced it with a brand new battery and the car started up fine.

This morning, I had the same problem again. I would turn the key and the starter would "click" and that's all. It wasn't until the 3rd time that it fired up. Pass forward a few hours when I was about to leave from school. The car wouldn't start (still have that clicking noise) until the second try.

This is pissing me off because I was without a car for half a year because I wanted to get the one I really want (blk/blk). The car also vibrations coming from the steering wheel around 70mph, and I suspect it's the bushings, but will wait out on that until I get the starting problem fix, if I even get it fix at all.

Mind you, I am only 18 and i JUST quit my job last week so i can go to school full-time and I still owe money on the car and insurance (i borrowed $$ for the car from my relatives). They told me they will only lend me money if I get a reliable car. After endless talks of how reliable lexus are, I cannot face them with my problems. I can definitely not tell my parents because because they will freak out at the cost of a starter replacement.

I know there is the contact replacement kit for the starter, but I cannot repair it at my house because my parents will know. I can't even go to a friend's house to do it because sometimes my parents will need me right away and I can't make up excuses. On my old car, I've taken out my intake manifold before, which is very similar to the GS (actually, old car seems harder to take out). I just cannot devote time to cars anymore. If I do any repair work soon, my parents will yell at me and more problems will arise.

I seriously don't know what to do now. I can't afford a starter replacement since I'm already in debt by a few grand. Maybe the car wasn't worth it at all If you guys dont see me post around for awhile, that's because I'm in hell

Thanks for listening to my rant
Old 03-14-06, 02:09 PM
antbo
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no money, no place to fix it. damn your f'd. just keep driving it till you get funds.

my steering wheel shook at that speed also. theres threads about this. i didnt get around to have mine fixed
Old 03-14-06, 02:26 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear about your problems with the gs4. my friend had the same issue - same car actually - color and all.

yeah, the starter issue is something that will cost a bucket load of cash- approx 700. it's something that makes me apprehensive about getting a gs4 right now since i have a gs3 and other than the lack of power - it runs great.

maybe you can exercise a credit card?
Old 03-14-06, 02:31 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Honesty will be your best friend in this situation...God forbid you mess up when you try to remove the starter, if the problem is even the starter

Double check the tightness of the cables....and get your wheels checked for balancing issues
Old 03-14-06, 02:32 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

OK,

Are you sure it is not your battery cables that are the problem??

Are you rotors warped?

Jonny
Old 03-14-06, 02:33 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for your misfortune. The only thing I can think of is to be straight with your parents, tell them, as with any used car things sometimes break. I would explain to them that overall lexus is VERY reliable and that this should be an isolated incident. After all, that is the truth, and if u could handle changing the starter yourself, you only need to pay for the cost of the part. What kind of battery did u buy? Did u make sure the terminals were tight? The steering vibration could be as simple as getting your tires balanced. Hope this helps
Old 03-14-06, 02:39 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope my starter dont go out anytime soon

knock on wood
Old 03-14-06, 03:03 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Ok first of all,
are there any battery acid build up around the post? If so, I recommend you CHANGE that terminal post b/c similar thing happened about a month ago.

My short story:
Battery was dying-changed that-car won't start-thought it was the starter -looked at battery post-tons of build up-changed that out-car won't start banged on starter to see if it will start up-nope!

Finally, i came to some senses, took some sand paper and cleaned ALL 2 connection points of the + leads

So, new battery: $45
Battery terminals at wally world : $3 (until I change out a new for the audio upgrade)
Sand paper: laying around the garage

However, I had my starter (remanufactured) replaced (~60/70k miles?) at dealer under good will gesture. I only paid for the labor

I will still stand behind a lexus being very reliable and i'm sure lots of other owners will say the same. That's why i think i'll drive this car to the ground
99GS300 with 130k miles-other problem was the bad throttle position sensor-that's it!

That's why I didn't buy an acura/infiniti/lexus for my sister (20 yo). She has a 4 dr civic. She's a student and a student don't need these kind of expenses, aggravation if dinged in the parking lot, or other worries.
Sorry about the preaching but if i was a student again at 18 with no $, i don't want to drive a lexus or any luxury car
Good luck!

Last edited by GS3Tek; 03-14-06 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-14-06, 03:36 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dx3
OK,

Are you sure it is not your battery cables that are the problem??

Are you rotors warped?

Jonny

Battery cables aren't the problem. All the electronics works in the car. I tested the voltage of the cables and they were 12.5v so I know it's not a loose connection.

Rotors aren't warped. Steering doesn't shake when brake. Perhaps it's just an issue of balancing tires though.
Old 03-14-06, 03:37 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by blaise
What kind of battery did u buy? Did u make sure the terminals were tight? The steering vibration could be as simple as getting your tires balanced. Hope this helps
Duralast Gold battery. I had to get a quick replacement and the battery seems to be okay. Terminals are tight.
Old 03-14-06, 03:40 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Ok first of all,
are there any battery acid build up around the post? If so, I recommend you CHANGE that terminal post b/c similar thing happened about a month ago.

My short story:
Battery was dying-changed that-car won't start-thought it was the starter -looked at battery post-tons of build up-changed that out-car won't start banged on starter to see if it will start up-nope!

Finally, i came to some senses, took some sand paper and cleaned ALL 2 connection points of the + leads

So, new battery: $45
Battery terminals at wally world : $3 (until I change out a new for the audio upgrade)
Sand paper: laying around the garage

!
I used that battery terminal metal brush cleaner and cleaned the shidizzle out of it, right before I installed the new battery.

I guess I have to fork up $15 for the starter contact and have 345435345345 hours of my life to spare
Old 03-14-06, 03:52 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry about your misfortunes man, but when you bought this car you should've been prepared for these expenses. Generally, when buying a used car over 5 years old, expect to immediately invest about 10-20% of the costs into repairs and maintenance. Usually you have to replace tires, brakes, filters, spark plugs, timing belt, water pump, and ball joints which adds up to around 2K, and then be prepared for some unexpected repairs. Lexus or not, it will have problems, and if you do not have money for repairs, maybe you should've considered a cheaper to maintain car. Like suggested above, a Civic is a decent car, very reliably, and repairs are extremely cheap.
Old 03-14-06, 04:12 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

Damn och, that sounds like something his parents would say...lol, but that doesn't help him with the problem at hand. Even though you are correct, most people are sooo excited about a new (to them) car purchase, they either forget or simply think they will worry about the problems later. Hey I wish u luck and I still believe honesty is the best policy. If all else fails show ur parents this post. Maybe that will help
Old 03-14-06, 04:36 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
I used that battery terminal metal brush cleaner and cleaned the shidizzle out of it, right before I installed the new battery.

I guess I have to fork up $15 for the starter contact and have 345435345345 hours of my life to spare
Just to make sure again, all my electronics work fine also when the contacts weren't good.
It was the connections where the 2 (+)0--- layed on top of each other, not where it attached to the battery post. 0---

The connections were weak where it wouldn't crank. I want to clarify that.
Old 03-14-06, 04:48 PM
Mr GS400
Pole Position

Let me stick my 2 cents worth in.

1) Just because your 'electronics' (from that I guess you mean radio, clock, etc) work doesn't give your cables, battery posts and connections a clean bill of heath. A starter motor needs a lot more current to crank the motor than your 'electronics' so make sure your battery connections and connections to your starter are clean and secure. Spray a little WD40 on each of those connections after you've cleaned them to displace any moisture. It that all fails bring you car to a competent shop for a 'free' problem analyses.

2) Your steering wheel 'shimmy' sounds like you need a good wheel balance. Go to a good Alignment Shop and get the front wheels balanced. Shouldn't cost you anymore than $10-15 per wheel.

Keep us posted on your progress and solutions.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: GS400: I'm starting to hate it already (kinda long)