GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Wind Noise in the GS

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-06, 06:33 PM
YoungP08
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind Noise in the GS

Anyone else have this problem, I get a lot of wind noise in my car. I have asked the dealer to look at it when I brought it for service but they say everything is normal. How can I get rid of this wind noise.
Old 03-15-06, 07:04 PM
ShaneC
Lexus Champion

i get wind noise too.
i can only hear it when the music is off on the freeway. sounds like its coming from the door jams or something. i would be interested to know if i can get rid of this noise too. but i think it may just come with age...
Old 03-15-06, 07:05 PM
YoungP08
Pole Position

but mine is only an 02 and its certified
Old 03-15-06, 07:11 PM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

I didn't noticed any wind noise in my '01 last fall before mounting winter tires. Still have the studded tires on now so it sounds like a track vehicle going down the road. BUT, I did notice that the door seals and such were fairly shiny when I first picked up the car, perhaps some kind of vinyl treatment will "swell" them up a little for a better seal?
Old 03-15-06, 07:51 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

This may or may not be the cause of your wind noise problems, but it was for me. Check under your car (yes, under your car) to make sure that your rubber undercarriage plugs haven't fallen out. I believe there are 2 on each side up front, and another 1 or 2 on each side in the rear. They basically plug up holes in the undercarriage of the car that were put there to hold the car in place as it moves along the assembly line (at least that's the way it was explained to me). Anyway, sometimes they get loose and fall out, and when they do, the air rushes into the holes and up through the window pillar right next to your ear. It sounds like wind noise, but it's actually air from underneath the car. If do a few quick searches, you will find numerous threads on this topic (some with pictures). I believe there were one or two threads that recently discussed the issue. Hope this helps.

e

EDIT: Here you go: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...e+rubber+plugs

Last edited by e-man; 03-15-06 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-15-06, 09:29 PM
Chpsk8
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

THe rubber undercaraige plugs are a common cuplrit, so is the drain tubes for the sunroof. They are located back by the mufflers. My dealer moved them and it lessened the noise from the roof.
Old 03-15-06, 09:55 PM
pianovt
Rookie

Thanks for the great post, e-man! While reading from that link in your post, I found this other related topic:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...4&page=1&pp=15

My car has one missing plug, passenger side rear. The car has wind noise at freeway speeds that sounds like it's comming from the top of the A-post or somewhere there. I hope I can stop that with all this new-found information. It could be the drain tubes or the missing plug. Thanks again!
Old 03-16-06, 06:55 AM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

nice find....i have wind noise too...gonna check on those plugs and the sunroof drain....thanks!!!
Old 03-16-06, 01:56 PM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks so much for bringing up this topic and for posting the older thread discussing this in detail. I looked under my car while at the office and noticed that I am missing at least one on each side just behind the front wheel. I am going to have to check this out more thoroughly and see exactly how many I need. This will be the cheapest fix in the world for a very annoying problem. Thanks again.
Old 03-16-06, 03:18 PM
pianovt
Rookie

Following up on the wind noise and the plugs:

I looked more carefully today and found two open holes, one on each side. They are in the back, on the two box section profile beams that run from the front all the way to the gasoline tank. They are the last two holes before the gas tank.

It struck me as odd that both are missing. One is on the driver's and the other on the passenger side, mirrored. That is a little too much of a coincidence. I looked at a couple of other GS300s and a GS400, and they all had those two holes open, just like my car. All the other plugs were in place on all the cars I looked at. I would therefore conclude that those last two two holes were intentionally left open at the factory.

If anyone has a car that came from the factory with those two holes plugged, would you please tell us, along with the model year?

Regarding the drain tubes, I lifted the two in the rear and placed cable ties on them on the trunk side. That stops the tubes from sliding back down. The wind noise is no longer as pronounced, but there is still some left. I haven't done anything with the front drain tubes yet.
Old 03-16-06, 03:27 PM
IAGS400
Pole Position

If we are talking about the same plugs. There are 8 of them. 4 on each side. I had 1 missing. part number 90950-01808

All other holes under my car have plugs in them. 1998 GS400.
Old 03-16-06, 03:52 PM
pianovt
Rookie

Originally Posted by IAGS400
If we are talking about the same plugs. There are 8 of them. 4 on each side. I had 1 missing. part number 90950-01808

All other holes under my car have plugs in them. 1998 GS400.
Thanks for the info, IAGS400. I just took a picture of my car.
Attached Thumbnails Wind Noise in the GS-plug.jpg  
Old 03-16-06, 03:59 PM
IAGS400
Pole Position

That looks to be the driver's side of the car and the one at the very back. I was missing the passenger side 2nd from the front.
Old 03-16-06, 04:12 PM
pianovt
Rookie

Originally Posted by IAGS400
That looks to be the driver's side of the car and the one at the very back. I was missing the passenger side 2nd from the front.
Yes, that's right. I am also missing the passenger side plug in the same location. As I mentioned, other cars I looked at also had those two missing, but none others. All the cars I looked at were 2000 to 2002 model year. Mine is a 2002.

So, if I want to order plugs for these, you say to get PN 90950-01808, right?

Thanks.
Old 03-16-06, 04:57 PM
IAGS400
Pole Position

The other thread points to a bigger plug and a smaller plug that fills other locations under the car. But 90950-01808 worked for this location. When I worked with the parts guy at Lexus it took a while for us to agree on what was what. I had already ordered and tried the other 2. But this plug was stated as being only 2 per side. It looked identical to the one I pulled out and fit just as well.

Quick Reply: Wind Noise in the GS