GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

3rd brake light question..... Yay or Nay

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-06, 09:46 AM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd brake light question..... Yay or Nay

I've been searching on this subject and I want to make sure I don't have any issues. My car is in the shop and will be removing the rear oem spoiler and putting on the RMM 3 piece spoiler. Here are my questions....

Will I be getting any "lights" on the dash because the 3rd brake light is not working anymore???

Is there a universal 3rd brake light anyone recommends???

What are poeple's opinions on just leaving it with NO 3rd brake light????

FYI....car is coming along well and should be out next week with RMM kit...new 19's...new paint....new full exhaust. Total accident bill......$12,400.00
Old 03-20-06, 10:04 AM
salimshah

Received 1,045 Likes on 943 Posts

Warning bulb inside {which will light up once you remove the expected electrical load} is not a serious issue.

Based on study, it was determined that the brake at eye level prevents rear-end collisions. Auto manufacturer started adding the third light {not sure if it was REQUIRED starting certain year of manufacture}

I would say add a third brake light even if it is at the rear deck. You should be able to do a swap of rear decks with some one looking for an oem rear spoiler.

Salim
Old 03-20-06, 10:06 AM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me know if you want the rear deck. I am looking for an OEM rear spoiler for my car!

Thanks,
Elliott

BTW your car is gonna be sick
Old 03-20-06, 10:26 AM
dmanbluesf
Pole Position

Doesn't the in-car 3rd brake light still light up? Ours has the standard factory spoiler (like you had) and both the LED brake on the spoiler lights and the in-car 3rd brake light lights up.
Old 03-20-06, 10:32 AM
Tranman

Originally Posted by dmanbluesf
Doesn't the in-car 3rd brake light still light up? Ours has the standard factory spoiler (like you had) and both the LED brake on the spoiler lights and the in-car 3rd brake light lights up.
No, if your car was ordered from the factory with a spoiler, then you would not have the 3rd brake light inside the car. If you have both, then the spoiler was installed after it left the factory, probaby by the dealer.
Old 03-20-06, 10:36 AM
badgis
Driver School Candidate

Default Required by law

The auto manufacturers were required by law to add the third brake light. You may want to make sure you do not violate any local laws. I know here in lousisiana if the third light is not working they will not renew your yearly inspections required by the state.

Scott
Old 03-20-06, 11:34 AM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

I'm pretty sure I dont have the 3rd brakelight in the rear window. Its been 6 weeks since I last drove it so cant remember.
Old 03-20-06, 11:42 AM
kyle98GS
Driver

Default third brake light

IIRC....it was that any car 86 and newer had to come equiped with a third brake light. Trucks were an exception until later years, where as they all have them now.

Kyle
Old 04-03-06, 08:26 PM
LextacyGS4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by salimshah
Warning bulb inside {which will light up once you remove the expected electrical load} is not a serious issue.

Salim
I added an OEM spoiler and therefore disconnected the inner 3rd brake light. I hate that light in the dash, any way to get a faux electrical load without a lot of wiring?

Please PM me with response, i dont subscribe
Old 04-03-06, 09:00 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to see you back on the road soon
Old 04-03-06, 11:10 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LextacyGS4
I added an OEM spoiler and therefore disconnected the inner 3rd brake light. I hate that light in the dash, any way to get a faux electrical load without a lot of wiring?

Please PM me with response, i dont subscribe
Take the bulb out of the instrument cluster.

If you want to to disable the third brake light but want the sensor to work for the rest of the tail lights then yse you have to put a load of resistors on there.

Go do a search for bananags and keyword third or brake or light.

He shows the schematic for the resistor network that you would have to build.

Warning this network gets very hot, so keep it shielded in the trunk. A down jacket or sleeping bag touching the resistors for a length of time stands a good chance of catching fire.
Old 04-04-06, 06:44 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Too much work just to add an aftermarket spoiler.. I have the factory installed spoiler and no 3rd brake light. I am keeping the oem one because it fits the car, and it kind of reminds me of a shorter version of the Supra TT spoiler.
Old 04-04-06, 11:34 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I faced this same dilemma when I decided to go with the JP spolier. My car came equipped with the factory spoiler & integrated LED brake light- there is no brake light in the rear window.

I thought about forgoing the third brake light altogether, but my body shop guy convinced me otherwise. Here in ticket-happy California, I don't need to give the local law enforcement any additional reason to pull me over. Because all 1986 & newer cars came with third brake lights, if it doesn;t have one it may be fairly obvious that the car should have a third brake light.

R00KIE used the same body shop that I did, and they used a Gen 4 Supra LED third brake light flush mounted in the trunk panel below the spoiler. I didn't want to copy this, but after looking around at other brake light options, this is definitely the slickest solution. I bought a new Supra brake light, but to make it different from R00KIE's I'm going to smoke it.

If your car is already painted, this may not be a good option. Perhaps a low-profile brake light can be mounted on the rear deck (inside the car) or up against the headliner. With all the idiot drivers on the road, having a third brake light could save your life. I remember what your car looked like after the accident... scary!!!
Old 04-04-06, 01:25 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
I faced this same dilemma when I decided to go with the JP spolier. My car came equipped with the factory spoiler & integrated LED brake light- there is no brake light in the rear window.

I thought about forgoing the third brake light altogether, but my body shop guy convinced me otherwise. Here in ticket-happy California, I don't need to give the local law enforcement any additional reason to pull me over. Because all 1986 & newer cars came with third brake lights, if it doesn;t have one it may be fairly obvious that the car should have a third brake light.

R00KIE used the same body shop that I did, and they used a Gen 4 Supra LED third brake light flush mounted in the trunk panel below the spoiler. I didn't want to copy this, but after looking around at other brake light options, this is definitely the slickest solution. I bought a new Supra brake light, but to make it different from R00KIE's I'm going to smoke it.

If your car is already painted, this may not be a good option. Perhaps a low-profile brake light can be mounted on the rear deck (inside the car) or up against the headliner. With all the idiot drivers on the road, having a third brake light could save your life. I remember what your car looked like after the accident... scary!!!

Yeah that Supra third brake light was a kool mod and a nice alternative when there are few options.
Old 04-04-06, 02:08 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Well.....I bought this 16 LED third brake light from JC Whitney for $10 and I guess I am going to attempt to mount it this weekend on the top of the rear window. My only issue will be getting the wires into the trunk area. I need to get the backseats out anyways to run my satellite antenna so I will do it at the same time.

WHat do you think would be the best way to mount it??? double sided tape?? Any other suggestions???

Quick Reply: 3rd brake light question..... Yay or Nay