GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Best method for cleaning intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-06, 07:57 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Best method for cleaning intercooler?

So I took of my front bumper to re-paint it and wanted to take advantage of it being off to clean my intercooler. My intercooler is hi polished and I wanted to know what is the best method to clean inbewteen the fins. I know I have to be very careful not to bend the fins but I wanted to clean the lines inbetween the fins. Any advice? I was thinking of masking off the fins with blue tape but wanted to know if anyone had other ideas or tricks they use for this?
Old 03-22-06, 09:07 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bluelex
So I took of my front bumper to re-paint it and wanted to take advantage of it being off to clean my intercooler. My intercooler is hi polished and I wanted to know what is the best method to clean inbewteen the fins. I know I have to be very careful not to bend the fins but I wanted to clean the lines inbetween the fins. Any advice? I was thinking of masking off the fins with blue tape but wanted to know if anyone had other ideas or tricks they use for this?

Damn bro, I think I finally met someone more **** than me. haha
Old 03-22-06, 09:14 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LXOGOOD
Damn bro, I think I finally met someone more **** than me. haha
LOL.....Whatever!!!!
Old 03-22-06, 09:30 PM
kyle98GS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cleaner

What i use on my 240sx is some cast aluminum wheel cleaner. Works great. Don't leave it on the polished end tanks too long or you'll need to use mothers polish to get the white mark off.

What i always do is to wet the intercooler, then spray the fins of the core with the alum wheel cleaner. let it sit for about a couple of min. While i'm waiting for it to do it's thing, i'll mist over my endtanks so that none of it will run down them. Then hose the whole thing down and POW!! Done. Clean!!!! Not that my intercooler got crazy dirty or anything, because i stay on top of it, but that stuff does a good job.

IIRC Eagle makes the cast alum wheel celaner that i use. I'm sure there are other brands.

Kyle
Old 03-22-06, 10:21 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

steam is your friend!
Old 03-22-06, 11:35 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

i'm guessing you can use any wheel cleaner for them. Never thought about cleaning mine but let us know how it goes.
Old 03-23-06, 11:27 AM
DSM2GS400
Driver

Top clean inside the I/C (more important that outside as the inside will get a coating of oil in it) remove the I/C and put in a little gas and shake well, then pour out the gas, do this until the gas you pour out comes out clean, then let it air out for a while. To clean the outside, once again use gas but use a rag soaked in gas to GENTLY rub the bars (watch the fins), then polish with aluminum polish when dry. If you bend a fin just borrow a bobby pin from you girlfriend/wife and use that to straighten them one by one. Using gas on the outside may not be necc. it really depends on the amount of grime/buildup on it. I would definitly recommend cleaning the inside if you have been using the I/C for more that 6 months without a cleaning.
Old 03-23-06, 12:43 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

PM sockfocks - he has some crazy airplane stuff!!

Jonny
Old 03-30-06, 02:34 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Well I thought my intercooler was polished but only the sides were. The bars inbetween the fins were just metal. So I decided what the heck I'd try to polish them out for a cleaner shiny look. I started by using 600 grit and water to sand down the grit and nasty stuff that sticks on (this is what happens when you don't protect your intercooler with mesh and show it off ). Than I used a 1000 grit as step 2 and follwed with 1500 grit as my 3rd step, I couldn't find 2000 grit at either home depot, advanced auto or pepboys so I just used 1500 grit. I finished by using Mothers power metal with the Powerball mini which I found at Pepboys. All in all in came really nice, not professional or pefect by any means but much nicer than it looked before with a little more shine than before aswell. Took me a couple hours.

Before.

After..(If you look at the last bar up you'll se a close up of what it looked like before, I didn't do this one cuz the opening in my bumper wouldn't show it anyway.)

Old 03-30-06, 02:59 PM
Wringo
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Finish the job!

Blue, you must finish that last bar! It's driving me crazy looking at it all clean with the exception of that one bar! I know it won't be seen, but remember you set the standard? Lol!
Old 03-30-06, 03:00 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

wow A.. that look hella GOOD

you can really tell a difference
I think I need to go get the power ball mini
Old 03-30-06, 03:47 PM
dmanbluesf
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wringo
Blue, you must finish that last bar! It's driving me crazy looking at it all clean with the exception of that one bar! I know it won't be seen, but remember you set the standard? Lol!
Yea, and you will know that it is dirty...
Old 03-30-06, 04:47 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I use needle nose pliers to straighten out fins and a scunsi (sp?)steamer to clean it. bought from an infomercial. I use it to clean the engine before shows....Ive even used it at a show.
Old 03-31-06, 10:38 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bluelex

I was under the impression you had to DRIVE the car to get the ic dirty, guess you learn something everyday.
Old 04-01-06, 05:32 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Indio
I was under the impression you had to DRIVE the car to get the ic dirty, guess you learn something everyday.

Whatever !!!

Guys- Trust me I'll somehow be able to live with it, my hands,fingers and knuckles are still feeling the effects of rubbing over and over with this weak fine sand paper.