GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Dealer Service Experience

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-01, 10:14 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up

Ok took the GS in yesterday to get my 40,000 kms service.. Basically an oil change and check-up.. I also advised my Service advisor that I was getting a pulsating brake when I broke from high speeds.. They told me they would take a look at it.. I go pick up my car in the afternoon and I noticed it was outside so I went over and took a look through the wheels.. Low and behold I see 4 brand new rotors and on top of that they gave me new pads up front.. So I am thinking this is gonna cost me a fortune..

I pick up my keys and get the bill and they only charged me for the oil change.. They said the front rotors had a slight warpage so they changed that and took the car for a test drive.. They weren't happy so they also changed the pads in the front and the rotors in the rear all under warranty..

Just curious if most Lexus dealers are this picky in your area.. I feel lucky to have such a good dealer who loves cars just as much as I do.. Anyways just wanted to share my experience..

Take care all!

Old 08-30-01, 10:25 PM
Kaban
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's your dealers name and location? And the service advisor's name? They deserve a good pat on the back and a positive feed back on the Lexus survey.
Old 08-30-01, 10:29 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

savvy,

great to hear that. i had similar problem before too. and my dealer did the same thing for me, except the pads. later i found out that the rotors are "supposed" to be covered under warranty for one-time free replacement.
but my freind also had the same problem, his dealer asked him to pay for the new rotors.

william
Old 08-30-01, 10:56 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Kaban
What's your dealers name and location? And the service advisor's name? They deserve a good pat on the back and a positive feed back on the Lexus survey.
Dealer name: Ken Shaw Lexus
Service Advisor Name: Sandy (She is a sweetie too)

gs4will,

Even thou I have heard the same thing I know of another dealer in this area that did the same like they did to your friend.. I sent Lexus Canada a nice email thanking Ken Shaw for truly living up to the Lexus moto of the pursuit of perfection.. BMW never treated me this good.. Probably why I am so impressed..
Old 08-31-01, 11:35 AM
Lextacy400
Lead Lap

I only had my car for a year and I have problems with my brakes. When I took it to the dealer, they told me that I needed my rotors cut and that it is not covered under warranty. I only have 15,000 miles on it and they said that they can do nothing for me ..

I wish I had a dealer that was as curtious as yours...
Old 08-31-01, 11:57 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Lextacy400
I only had my car for a year and I have problems with my brakes. When I took it to the dealer, they told me that I needed my rotors cut and that it is not covered under warranty. I only have 15,000 miles on it and they said that they can do nothing for me ..

I wish I had a dealer that was as curtious as yours...
No need to take this crap. Take your car to another dealer...or call Lexus customer service and ask them to have the local Lexus rep check it out.
Old 08-31-01, 11:59 AM
TMitchell
Driver

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lextacy400
[B]I only had my car for a year and I have problems with my brakes. When I took it to the dealer, they told me that I needed my rotors cut and that it is not covered under warranty. I only have 15,000 miles on it and they said that they can do nothing for me ..

I just had new rotors put on the front and the back ones turned on my 1 year old Jeep Grand Cherokee at the dealer for free. You would think that Lexus could match Jeep service
Old 08-31-01, 12:09 PM
Lextacy400
Lead Lap

Thanks for the replies guys. Do you think that Lexus should of replaced my rotors?? They told me that the brakes are not covered under warranty and that it was the way I drive that caused the problem..I took it in at 10k mile service witht he problem and they told me that nothing was wrong with the brakes. Then when I took it in at 15k miles thats when they told me that I needed to have my rotors cut. They wanted an arm and a leg to do it.....

So will my best bet be to take it to another dealer and see what they say or call a Lexus Rep??
Old 08-31-01, 12:17 PM
sTWO
Rookie

Default Lextacy400

Lextacy400,

You're not alone in regards to @hole service reps. There was something wrong with my brake pads @ 20,000 miles and the dealer changed them then told me I had to pay $300 since they weren't covered under warranty.

When I asked him why this wasn't covered under warranty he replied that it was because of "the way I drove the car." They always feed people these typical bs lines, but if I knew then what I know now, I would have taken the car to another dealership that actually followed the warranty rules.
Definitely go to another dealership. Good luck,
Old 08-31-01, 12:25 PM
Lextacy400
Lead Lap

sTWO,

Thanks for the information on this problem. I was actually thinking of taking it to them and just having it fixed too..Luckily I checked here to get a few insites on the problem and I will be taking it to a different dealer..

It really stunes me on how they treat some people after they buy a 50k car from them.

Thanks again...

And to top it all of my friend just bought an IS300 from that dealer...I warned him too but I guess he will have to learn the hard way like I did...
Old 08-31-01, 12:32 PM
sTWO
Rookie

Default Lextacy400

Lextacy400,

Np, I'm glad you won't be making the same mistake I made. In fact, once another dealership fixes your problem for free, I'd personally write in a formal complaint to Lexus and explain the whole situation (including the names of both service reps).

Good luck,
Old 08-31-01, 03:10 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Lextacy400,

Man that sucks how they just blew you off like that.. Like the guys were saying just bring your car somewhere else and see what another dealership can do for you.. Good luck and keep us updated on what happens.. Please post up your dealer's name that didn't help you out so others in your area can be forewarned..