GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Black Cherry Twins!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-06, 07:40 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yet more proof that CL is the best and most mature forum out there. Any other forum and thread would have been locked for profanity and arguing!

Agree to disagree is something that adults can do and move on to better topics, excellent demonstration of that here.

Enjoy the car Kev
Old 04-02-06, 07:46 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Amber
Very interesting comments in this thread in regards to the chrome rings. And typically, my comments would be the same for sure.

In general, chrome rings around the taillights make me gag (literally). They usually look shoddy to me too, on any car...though I have seen them on a late model E-Class, and surprisingly, they looked pretty damn good I have to say.

Funny thing about KevGS' car though...when I first saw pictures of his car in his other photoshoot thread (with the front chrome rings), and then also later in that same thread saw the rear shot (with the rear chrome rings), the rings didn't stand out at all to me. They just flowed with the rest of the car, which is basically all chromed up anyway. Hec, I'm not even a clear lights fan, but on this car, I like the clear lights AND the chrome rings. I think it's the color, and yet it's not only the color, but the depth and shine of the paint as well.

To me, the car is so darn clean (literally) that the chrome rings fade into the whole design of the car. And without the rings, and no emblems, the rear would definitely look unexciting to me too. Those clear taillights are nicely crafted, but they can't carry the whole rear of the car with the stock spoiler and no emblems. The $1500 price tag (fifteen HUNDRED????) doesn't mean crap when non-CL members see them. They might as well be $150 for all most people care.

And I typically don't like debadged cars either, but I like this one debadged. The car just seems to come together nicely, better than many I have seen.

Would I ever buy chrome rings for my Lexus? Never. But I'd never buy a carbon fiber hood for my Lexus either, nor a vented hood, nor a roof spoiler, not those zany eyelids and taillids, nor those side-window vent thingies to keep the rain out when the window's cracked. All of those items seem out of place on a Lexus to me, or any luxury car built for road use....no matter how much HP is under the hood. I do understand the window vent thingamajiggers for functional purposes though, but if it's raining, just close all the darn windows and use through the A/C system. You can afford it, you bought a Lexus. And actually, the roof spoiler looks OK on some GS I have seen, but I'd never buy one for my Lexus.

But as KevGS said, "that's just me".

When I and about 10 friends who were at my house last night checked out KevGS' gallery (because I mentioned to my friend that she should paint her Audi dark cherry), we ALL salivated, especially once I showed them Kev's recent photoshoot featuring the spotlight. And not a one of them thought the rings looked out of place on his car. I wouldn't recommend them on other cars, but on this particularly debadged dark cherry GS, with the clear lights and the chrome rims (this color and chrome go well together), it looks just fine, mighty fine really. It's this particular car that makes it work.

Again, I'd never buy them myself (don't have the courage), but if I bought KevGS' car, I wouldn't remove them. But I would definitely remove a vented hood (except on maybe Dave's car, black hides it better), and I would remove eyelids and side window vents as well.

And KevGS has the best license plate I have seen in a long time: "It's all a matter of...PRSPCTV". That really says it all, as beauty lies in the eye of the beholder for sure. It's all just a matter of perspective.

Where is KevGS anyway? I hope you guys didn't chase the poor guy away. {Kev, I already have a buyed for your car whenever your ready to sell, and she doesn't care about the miles. She loves it. I'm serious too. She's got loot!}

(Since I'm a copy editor by trade, I figured one long post deserved another. OK, I'm back to work... )

The Tailights cost $1350 not $1500
Old 04-03-06, 08:51 AM
Amber
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KevinGS
Wow, that WAS a long post, Amber. That looked like mine.

Well, thanks for all the buzz. Because of you, some in CL thought I was actually selling my car, and I got 2 offers PM'ed to me, not including your friend's. Hec, when I am ready to sell this car (if ever, as I usually drive my cars until they drop), I will be in touch. You'd make a good spokesperson for the car.
I'd make an excellent spokesperson, KevGS. It's part of what I do for a living. Whenever you're ready to sell that car, and I don't care HOW many miles it has on it, just let me know. I'll have it sold within 2 weeks. That color will sell itself if the paint holds up.

Now....when can I get my ride?

And thanks for the impromptu focus group of opinions about the rings. It really didn't matter though. I like them, and I trust my eyes, so I wasn't removing them anyway. But again, thanks anyway.
So glad you were unfettered by popular opinion. My focus group of females simpy wanted to be added to the 'popular opinion' list.

I got your PM about the car, and as I responded, the car is not for sale...unless someone wants to pay more than I paid.
And as I said already, I know someone who will. Now what?

And yes, the license plate/frame sometimes is more of a conversation peice than the car.
....for obvious reasons.

And no, CL members didn't 'chase me away' because of their opinions....I was in Seattle/Vancouver for a while on business. And besides, CL members have been too instrumental in making my Lexus ownership experience at least 5 times better than it would have been otherwise. I love these guys now (**sniff-sniff**)

...I just know when to ignore them.
Old 04-03-06, 08:56 AM
Amber
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TLW
The Tailights cost $1350 not $1500
TLW, I still think that's a lot of money for basically a cleared-out taillight. But I understand exclusivity costs money. It's all about supply and demand. The price gets set at whatever the market will bear. Capitalism at it's finest.

I will say this though...they are finely crafted. I've never seen a car I didn't like them on. I guess that's worth something.
Old 04-03-06, 09:18 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,259 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by Amber
TLW, I still think that's a lot of money for basically a cleared-out taillight. But I understand exclusivity costs money. It's all about supply and demand. The price gets set at whatever the market will bear. Capitalism at it's finest.

I will say this though...they are finely crafted. I've never seen a car I didn't like them on. I guess that's worth something.
Amber, I agree with you about the exclusivity and capitalism primarliy driving the cost, but the 01+ lights aren't just 'cleared-out'. You can do that with the 98 - 00 lights, but the 01+ aren't built that way. My understanding is that JP's supplier for these light takes OEM tail lights and laser cuts out the amber portion and replaces it with clear.

Again, agree with your statement in general, BUT they definitely aren't simply something you can DIY.
Old 04-04-06, 10:11 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Amber, I agree with you about the exclusivity and capitalism primarliy driving the cost, but the 01+ lights aren't just 'cleared-out'. You can do that with the 98 - 00 lights, but the 01+ aren't built that way. My understanding is that JP's supplier for these light takes OEM tail lights and laser cuts out the amber portion and replaces it with clear.

Again, agree with your statement in general, BUT they definitely aren't simply something you can DIY.
I just like the look of clear lenses, so the price becomes almost secondary to me. I'm just glad clear lenses are an option. On many cars, it's not. I was never happier when I knew I could get my '01 taillights with a clean, clear lens.

And for sure, clearing out those JP Tails is no DIY-project like Dave said, or we'd all be doing it.
Old 04-04-06, 10:14 AM
TedxGS
Pole Position

nice!!! i like the rims on both cars too
Old 04-04-06, 02:53 PM
LexFather

Hot damn very very very nice cars and pics!! I love it!
Old 04-04-06, 04:29 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ahh those two purple people eaters are lookin hot. NELOC has arrived
Old 04-05-06, 11:12 AM
Amber
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DaveGS4

I didn't mean to imply that "cleared-out" meant "able-to-do-it-yourself", Dave, Point taken though,

Again, I think they look really well done. Very well detailed. It's up to the public to determine if they're worth $1350 though. And I think the public has decided that they are.