GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

purchasing GS strategies...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-06, 09:06 AM
wmah523
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default purchasing GS strategies...

this is an amazing forum, so glad to be part of it and soon will be part of the lexus family. i'v been looking around for G3 & G4, i need some suggestions from all of you GS pros on what and where to look for making sure that it's a good running GS. Like which part of the car should i mainly to focus looking at.

will a salvaged GS increase the interior noice level? what were the maintainess for a 100+K GS?

THANK YOU GUYS!
Old 03-26-06, 12:22 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take it to a mechanic and all will be solved ..or use the search feature
Old 03-26-06, 01:46 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by wmah523
this is an amazing forum, so glad to be part of it and soon will be part of the lexus family. i'v been looking around for G3 & G4, i need some suggestions from all of you GS pros on what and where to look for making sure that it's a good running GS. Like which part of the car should i mainly to focus looking at.

will a salvaged GS increase the interior noice level? what were the maintainess for a 100+K GS?

THANK YOU GUYS!
Don't buy a GS with a salvaged title. If you are going to buy a GS with 100K miles, then get one with 90K service done. Try the power search at autotrader, good luck with your shopping
Old 03-26-06, 02:40 PM
Billh2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wmah523

THANK YOU GUYS!
The only issue I can think of off hand is the issue with headlight condensation. When I bought mine, I located four of them in the Seattle area. Pretty much knew what they were going for, lurked in this group for six months asking questions. Finally, the big day arrived. Got in the car and drove to Seattle fully expecting to look at as many GS-430's as I could find. Decided in advance my preference for color would be Cinnabar, followed by Silver, then everything else. For the interior I really wanted black, but that’s tough to find. Did not expect to find a Cinnabar one. Pulled into a Chevrolet dealership in Kirkland who was advertising a "Maroon" one. When I first saw it, it dawned on me that Maroon in Lexus talk is Cinnabar. This one happened to have a black interior. Made them what I thought was a ridiculous offer, they accepted it. Drove another one at a Lexus dealership but they wanted more for it, and wouldn't budge on the price. Bought the Cinnabar one on the spot.
Run a car fax, but don't depend on it 100% Calling Lexus with the VIN should tell you about service done by the dealer. Good Luck
Old 03-26-06, 03:31 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Welcome to CL... Yes make sure with a GS with that many miles that it has had the Timing and water pump changed... Remember these cars with 100k miles on them are great as long as the maintenance has been up to date.. Definitely do your research.. Find out where the car was serviced for example and have the records pulled, carfax even though thats not 100% accuratethese days and or bring the car to a mechanic and have him check the car out..

Alot of good cars are out there you just have to be patient and don't buy the first thing you see... ( at least thats what i've been told.) Good Luck...

T
Old 03-26-06, 03:39 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Billh2
When I first saw it, it dawned on me that Maroon in Lexus talk is Cinnabar. This one happened to have a black interior. Made them what I thought was a ridiculous offer, they accepted it. Drove another one at a Lexus dealership but they wanted more for it, and wouldn't budge on the price. Bought the Cinnabar one on the spot.
Hey Bill. I thought your car was black cherry pearl. I could be totally wrong on this, but wasn't cinnabar pearl discontinued after the 00 model year and replaced with black cherry pearl in 01? Obviously, you would know more than anyone else what color your car is, but that was my understanding of the color choices in 01. Were both cinnabar pearl and black cherry pearl offered in 01?

EDIT: The more I'm thinking about this, I must be wrong because I'm pretty sure that JonathanCL's 01 GS430 is also cinnabar pearl. Maybe black cherry pearl didn't come out until the 02 model year (or maybe both were offered in 01).

Last edited by e-man; 03-26-06 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-26-06, 08:09 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by e-man
(or maybe both were offered in 01).
I believe that's it.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...en&cardist=946