GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Driver seat won't move

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-06, 06:17 PM
asci01
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver seat won't move

My driver seat won't move back and forth but it moves up and down. When I press the button to move back or forward I hear a click coming from the motor so I know is getting power.

Anybody has any idea what it could be?

Any help is appreciated
Old 03-28-06, 07:09 PM
asci01
Pole Position

Help!

Anybody encountered this before?
Old 03-28-06, 07:50 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe its jammed up against something..
Old 03-29-06, 05:58 PM
asci01
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rgarjr
Maybe its jammed up against something..
I sure would hope so. I new motor is over $350.00

I have tried pushing the seat while pressing the button but no luck.

Any suggestions on how to test whether is a bad motor or a jammed seat?
Old 03-29-06, 06:04 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

I would probably take out the seat and flip it upside down and check it...
Old 03-29-06, 07:22 PM
asci01
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rgarjr
I would probably take out the seat and flip it upside down and check it...
I did. The motor is the one on the top left corner but I have no idea how to take it out or test it

Any suggestions?

Does anyone have the diagram to take the guts of the seat apart?
Attached Thumbnails Driver seat won't move-bottom-of-driver-seat2jpg.jpg  
Old 03-31-06, 07:33 PM
asci01
Pole Position

Am I the only one with this problem?

Has anyone encountered this before?
Old 03-31-06, 11:21 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Are you sure you didnt:
A) Blow the fuse
B) Have a loose wire loose inside the seat (connection to motor)
C) Harness from floor to seat is broken
Old 04-01-06, 07:54 AM
asci01
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Are you sure you didnt:
A) Blow the fuse
B) Have a loose wire loose inside the seat (connection to motor)
C) Harness from floor to seat is broken
When I push the button to move it back or forth the motor makes a click and sounds like it wants to move the seat. So I'm sure it is getting power. Could the motor be bad even tough it sounds like it is trying to move the seat?
Old 04-02-06, 07:40 AM
BLW
Driver

Default Guess?

I do not for know 100% for sure that this will solve your problem and I have not had this problem with my power seats, but here is my guess. I am guessing that the motor needs to be taken apart and have the dust from the motor brushes cleaned out from the interior of the motor. I had problems with the tilt function on my steering wheel and cleaned out the the brush dust on the motor for this function and everything works again. The motors look to be of similiar design with no venting and nowhere for this dust to escape the interior of the motor. If you can figure out a way to remove the motor so that you can diassemble it and clean it out and relube it you may get the motor to function properly. Here is a link to the power steering wheel tilt issue:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=104571

If you can get the white cap, where the motor brushes are located internally (left side of motor) seperated from the metal housing of the motor, the brush dust could be cleaned out and hopefully restore function to the motor.
Attached Thumbnails Driver seat won't move-attachment1a.jpg  
Old 04-02-06, 10:38 AM
asci01
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BLW
I do not for know 100% for sure that this will solve your problem and I have not had this problem with my power seats, but here is my guess. I am guessing that the motor needs to be taken apart and have the dust from the motor brushes cleaned out from the interior of the motor. I had problems with the tilt function on my steering wheel and cleaned out the the brush dust on the motor for this function and everything works again. The motors look to be of similiar design with no venting and nowhere for this dust to escape the interior of the motor. If you can figure out a way to remove the motor so that you can diassemble it and clean it out and relube it you may get the motor to function properly. Here is a link to the power steering wheel tilt issue:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=104571

If you can get the white cap, where the motor brushes are located internally (left side of motor) seperated from the metal housing of the motor, the brush dust could be cleaned out and hopefully restore function to the motor.
Hey thanks, BLW. The steering wheel motor looks just like the seat motor. So maybe I can fix it the same way you fixed yours.

So I just blow the dust out, remove the old grease, and re-grease with fresh grease, right?
Old 04-02-06, 01:20 PM
BLW
Driver

Pretty much , Yes. I also took an old toothbrush and cleaned up the dust and blew out the dust. The grease is actually at the oppssite end of the motor than the brushes. The grease side is at the rear end of the metal motor housing while the brushes are in the white plastic end if it's like the tilt motor. Let us know how things turn out.

By the way. the larger motor photo insert is just a larger view of the seat motor to show where the brushes should be located. It is not the steering wheel tilt motor. I did not take any photos of the tilt motor.

Last edited by BLW; 04-02-06 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-02-06, 02:01 PM
asci01
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BLW
Pretty much , Yes. I also took an old toothbrush and cleaned up the dust and blew out the dust. The grease is actually at the oppssite end of the motor than the brushes. The grease side is at the rear end of the metal motor housing while the brushes are in the white plastic end if it's like the tilt motor. Let us know how things turn out.

By the way. the larger motor photo insert is just a larger view of the seat motor to show where the brushes should be located. It is not the steering wheel tilt motor. I did not take any photos of the tilt motor.
So does the new grease goes inside or outside the motor?
Old 04-02-06, 03:24 PM
BLW
Driver

Originally Posted by asci01
So does the new grease goes inside or outside the motor?
Worry about the dust more than the grease. I have never disassembled the seat motor only the tilt motor. You should see where to apply grease ( if necesarry) from where the original factory grease is. Have you been able to disassemble the motor?
Old 04-02-06, 04:06 PM
asci01
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BLW
Worry about the dust more than the grease. I have never disassembled the seat motor only the tilt motor. You should see where to apply grease ( if necesarry) from where the original factory grease is. Have you been able to disassemble the motor?
No yet. First I have to figure out how to take it out of the bottom of the seat. It looked intimidating, but I need to do it soon! The seat is stocked all the way back, so I feel like I'm driving from the back seat

It's driving me nuts !

Quick Reply: Driver seat won't move